taming angel hair/lite bright [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: taming angel hair/lite bright

sean
01-31-2002, 04:03 PM
I love to use the stuff for wings in my baitfish patterns but also find it the most unruly of all my materials. Seems I waste about as much as I use in a pattern.

Anyone have any tips they would like to share???

-sean

Dble Haul
01-31-2002, 04:25 PM
Sean- I use the same trick that works for marabou: moisten your fingers with saliva or dip them in water and then stroke the flash fibers backwards into one managable wisp. Tie it on, and then when it dries it will flare back out the way it should.

By the way, if you use the saliva method, don't be surprised by strange looks from others who notice the flash accumulating in your mouth that might be transferred from your fingers. :rolleyes:

JimW
01-31-2002, 04:50 PM
The tying demonstration Capt. Ray put on at the Marlboro show was quite informative. The two tricks I found most helpful were: Hold the hank of material up in the air and use a bodkin to gently separate the fibers the less snarls and streching the material gets in it the better. When doubling over pressing into the material with your thumbnail give a nice neat finished look. I do agree that there is a lot of waste when using angel hair but the same is true with bucktail if you are culling out certain lengths.

Bob Pink
01-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Sean,
You can also try the opposite approach. Grab a bunch, ball it up ontop of the hook shank and lash it down tight in mid-bunch. Once tight, you use a stiff bodkin to 'pick out' all the bunched fibers. Results in a very uneven length wing ( but in a good way )
JOhn Morin showed me this method which ( I believe is from Mike Martinek ) is nice if you are building flies that a full-bodied with this type material but less effective if you are just trying to blend some into a base material.
John had some very nice looking results with it.....

A night with angel hair is a night that ends with a shop vac....!