You are cordially invited… [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: You are cordially invited…

ssully
01-30-2002, 09:48 AM
to a fly tying gig sponsored by the JFFT at Stony Brook Fish & Game in Westford MA on Saturday February 16th, 2002 starting at 10:00AM. Directions will follow.

juro
01-30-2002, 10:17 AM
What timing... I was just having withdrawls from the annual stony brook gathering! Thanks Sully, I'll be sure to attend.

So tell us about JFFT!

doug
01-30-2002, 11:15 AM
JFFT is short for Joppa Flats Fly Tyers....
a mythical, make believe fly fisher group.
They don't really exist! :eyecrazy: :razz:

Lefty
01-30-2002, 11:17 AM
JFFTC= Joppa Flats Fly Tying Club.

A group of folks who pound the shores around PI together who care to hook up and tie flies a few times a year. There have been several meetings already over the past couple of seasons at different venues, mostly casual, at private homes and the occasional restaurant. The unit is
headed up by the elegant, yet ever precocious President Doug Burgess.

I hope Mr Burgess can eloaborate on my description of JFFTC if it's not quite accurate. Oops, it seems his post slipped in before mine.

I'm sure the FFF will offer it's full support to this great club. Looking forward to the event.

Lefty

juro
01-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by doug
JFFT is short for Joppa Flats Fly Tyers....
a mythical, make believe fly fisher group.
They don't really exist! :eyecrazy: :razz:

It does NOW! Thanks for the clarification, prez. I've had a bit of that Joppa mud on my waders over the last several years, I will definitely attend!

juro
01-30-2002, 11:43 AM
psst... JFFT.org is available!

Let me know if you want us to host your site (free to select non-profits or non-existants ;) like you). We're upgrading our hosting service so it will really be no problem at all.

Hawkeye
01-30-2002, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the invite. I would love to attend. Would you like volunteer help for anything?

Lefty
01-30-2002, 01:25 PM
Hawkeye,
Gotta get you out to Joppa. You'll never go to Chatham again. Have you been there before? Consider this an offer for a morning in my scow up heah.

Lefty

Hawkeye
01-30-2002, 02:03 PM
Awesome! I will take you up on that. The closest I've come to Joppa is the mouth of the Merrimack on the jetty by the state park - no luck and it was quite a zoo.

doug
01-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Lefty,
"Elegant"? "Precocious"?
HUH!:tsk_tsk:
This doesn't bode well for your $189.00 membership fee.
Doug B.
( Founder and reluctantly appointed Prez of JFFT )

doug
01-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Juro,
JFFT.org?
Interesting...sounds like a lot of work.
DB

Lefty
01-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Correction: President Doug "Barnyard Muck Boots" Burgess. Out on parole to head up the meetings.:smokin:

juro
01-30-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by doug
Juro,
JFFT.org?
Interesting...sounds like a lot of work.
DB

... or a lot of fun! Think we can get that guy who lives next to the ramp to host a WEBCAM? :smokin:

Chris
01-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Where are these amazing flats that attract mythical fly tiers?

striblue
01-30-2002, 09:16 PM
Sean... thanks for the invite.. I look forward to it.. I will bring my Bonefish flies and others as well..

Lefty
01-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by juro

... or a lot of fun! Think we can get that guy who lives next to the ramp to host a WEBCAM? :smokin:

Ya I'm sure RT would love to host it :chuckle:

doug
01-31-2002, 04:22 AM
Chris,
The flats in question are....errr.....ummm....south of Maine!
Doug B.:hehe:

FishHawk
01-31-2002, 05:00 AM
Count me in and maybe two other friends. Had a great time last time.
FishHawk:smokin:

Adrian
01-31-2002, 08:02 AM
Not sure if I can swing this one but I'd love to come up.

I cought my first Stripahh in the Merrimack estuary on Charlie Crue's boat back in '96.

ssully
01-31-2002, 09:15 AM
YIKES!!!

Holy S#!+ Batman!!! :)

Way Cool. Instead of me hoggin tons of your BW I can address questions through email. You can reach me at work sean_sullivan@vibren.com or at home.

Juro, Do you still have the directions and map from last year, if not I can forward them to you.

I'll see if I can use the griil at the club if not I'll bring one. Or we can send out for pizza and subs.

Sorry, but no pogie oil allowed. Ther's a full cash bar downstairs with some in stock though. Prices are reasonable $1.25 for a beer.

Lefty
01-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Sully,

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/tyingclave2001/index.htm

juro
01-31-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks Lefty - I will update the info accordingly. Sully, feel free to tell me what to change / add / remove etc.

Juro

DFix
01-31-2002, 12:46 PM
Looking forward to it:hehe:

FredA
01-31-2002, 06:20 PM
Count me in.

Chris
02-01-2002, 11:06 PM
South of MAine really narrows it down.
Hows about firing off directions. I will have been out of town so much by the end of Feb that the boss probably wouldn't even notice one more day. :rolleyes:

fliboy
02-02-2002, 06:55 AM
I am 90% sure I can make the Tying session. Juro - if I make it, I will bring your waders that Steve L. had borrowed down in Rhody.
May bring my son Brett if he isn't busy that day.

Doug - how ya holding up over the winter?

Dave P

doug
02-02-2002, 05:42 PM
Mr. Pritchard,
Long time......
Sure hope that you can make it!
Bumbling through the winter....kid sports take up majority of time during the week. So far....NOT on weekends!
Doug B.

Chris,
Are you looking for directions to Joppa or Stonybrook?
DB

juro
02-02-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Chris
South of MAine really narrows it down.

Chris -

Joppa is a broadening shoal on the south side of the Merrimac River upriver from the mouth of the river in Newburyport very close to the NH border. It has the effect of a delta in that it is a deposit zone for sediment flowing down the river and during minus tides you can walk a mile out to the channel where you can expect fish will be at low.

Most average anglers would rather keep driving and go to the mouth itself where it's not necessary to wade deep or wait for low, plus there is limited parking at Joppa and you gotta know what you're doing so it's a place designed for the dedicated angler.

Two other nearby areas would be great for days you're near the Mass border - Hampton inlet (although best with a boat) and the stretch from Ipswich to Wingaersheek Beach to Annisquam to Gloucester, etc.

If you're in the area give me a call, it's half the distance to the cape for me and I've fished the area a lot. Nothing like these guys though!

doug
02-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Chris,
If you want a "tour" of Joppa and the surrounding Merrimack River/P.I. area in mid to late May...contact me via private email.
I'll be glad to show you around. Heck....I might even fly fish.
Doug Burgess