There's still time ... SW fly swap [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: There's still time ... SW fly swap

Hawkeye
01-29-2002, 05:56 PM
We've got a good showing in the saltwater flyswap but there is still plenty of "room" and time for more. The deadline is March 1st so that leaves you a month.

My apologies to those waiting for mailing info. It will go out tonight around 10ish.

Roop
01-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Put me down for a herring pattern.

Not promising anything special compared to the creations our friends seem to be cranking out!!

Hawkeye
01-29-2002, 09:51 PM
Hawkeye
Striblue
Doogue
Sean
Nick
BirdFish
Eddie
Dble Haul
Jim W
SaltyDog
Juro
Tod D
French Creek
Adrian
D Fix
Shadfreak
GregD
BCasey
GregO
Broache
Roop

If your name is on the list above you are in the SW fly swap and should be getting a mailing info e-mail from me in the next few minutes. The pics and recipes for the flys from this swap will add quite a bit to our fly board.

If you don't get an e-mail it is because your address is not in your profile and I don't have it from other correspondence. Just send me an e-mail and we'll be all set.

BirdFish
01-30-2002, 09:36 AM
Hawkeye,
Thanks for the e-mail. How many flies are we each tying? Do I have to announce the fly I am tying? If so, it will be a white snake fly. Thanks.
Dave Williams

grego
01-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Yeah, what dave said. Are we doing Six or one for each person in the swap? Twenty-Two is a lot!

juro
01-30-2002, 10:40 AM
Most swaps I've meistered or participated in were based on a finite number randomized so everyone gets as many as they put in but not necessarily one from each participant. In other words, many people participate but only send 6 flies or 12 flies each. Some I've participated in allowed people to double up to get as many back as they put in, so in a standard 6 fly swap people who send 12 get 12, etc. The point is it doesn't matter how many people, you get as many as you put into it.

My favorite randomization method is to put all the flies out on a table and have my kids pick flies. This way the selection process has nothing to do with angler's logic. My daugther chooses because she likes the color or it's pretty, etc.

The most important part is to get the images into the archive so that the tyer can explain in his/her own words how to tie the pattern. Others can ask questions and also look it up later on when the snow melts. That way even if you don't get the fly itself you still get the benefit of learning about it thru the swap.

Looking forward to it!

DFix
01-30-2002, 11:46 AM
Where this was a pigpile list, I suppose we ought to tie one for one -

hawkeye, obviously, this answers my email question :eyecrazy:

Quentin
01-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Hmmm . . .

I suppose "sluggo flies" don't really go along with the spirit of the fly swap :tsk_tsk: , and the only other flies I know how to tie are better suited for catching trout and bluegill. Maybe by next year I will have become competent enough at tying saltwater flies that I will be able to participate in a swap or two.

In any event, I am looking forward to seeing the fly photos and recipes. I think someone mentioned in a previous post that it would be nice if the recipes included information about when, where and how to fish the flies. I would like to second that request! It is also nice to see details about the order, position and style in which the materials are tied. I'm planning (hoping may be a better word) to learn to tie some of the flies posted in the archive and I will need all the help I can get! :hehe:

Q

Hawkeye
01-30-2002, 01:15 PM
My plan was for each participant to tie up to six flies and recieve the same number in return. Send 2 in get 2 back, send 6 in get 6 back. You don't have to announce what you will be tying and you don't even have to tie the same fly though that will make the photography task easier to manage.

Sprocket
02-06-2002, 08:03 AM
got room for one more?

I've got time & energy. and since it's a one-for-one exchange I can make the deadline (meaning I don't have to tie 22 of the same freaking flies!)

If not, no biggie - they'll be other swaps.

DFix
02-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Grasshopper, you might as well jump in - maybe you could back me up on what I don't have done:eyecrazy: I have your material for tomorrow night

grego
02-06-2002, 12:46 PM
Well, February is going to be a long month. I started early & already had my six (plus a few extras) tied up. But now that I understand the system, I've been chugging out a few ever couple of days while watching TV. The way I look at it is you tie up N all the same & you get back N all different; a great way to get some variety in your fly box. I'll probably be sending in 12-15!

Hawkeye
02-06-2002, 03:09 PM
Sprocket,

Of course you are welcome!

Grego,

Shouldn't be a problem but I'll warn those that send in flies above the six suggested that if the numbers don't work out for some reason you may get some of your own flies back.

striblue
02-06-2002, 10:33 PM
Gregg... mine will come in near the dead line.. I still have to do some for the Cape Cod CCA and for the Burlington CCA Banquet. I am now on my 51st bonefish fly from Browns book.. 99 to go.:eyecrazy:

Sprocket
02-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Hawk: please email me the mailing address for the flies & I'll send 'em out.

Striblue: bring some samples to UFT, love to see them.

grego
02-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Gregg,

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I'll assume that several guys are going to tie up more than six. Heck, JohnM does a half dozen on a Coffee Break! Worst case, some people can get some Bonus Flies:hehe:

grego
02-07-2002, 03:45 PM
I Call this Bait-Map!

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/logo1/bait-map.jpg

sean
02-07-2002, 03:55 PM
That was my pattern I was going to tie.:rolleyes:

Oh well I still have a few weeks to come up with something else and at least I found out now or everyone would have boxes full of the same stuff.

-sean

juro
02-07-2002, 04:12 PM
Grego -

Seeing that suggests the arrival of migrating fish to my home waters on the cape... talk about getting me pumped up for the start of the season!

Great pic, and gorgeous flies dude!

Hawkeye
02-07-2002, 06:54 PM
That's quite an invasion force! I'd say the stripers, blues, bonito, albies, and spanish macks haven't got a chance.

Novice
02-15-2002, 06:16 PM
Um, any room left? I know my bro is the guy running this thing, but I promise that the distribution will be completely fair. Unlike some judges at the olympics. ;)

I'll be including the flys that have caught the most fish for me (squid, big ugly, crab, sand eel). Unfortunately, they will look a lot like my bro's since we bounce tying ideas off each other.

juro
02-16-2002, 07:46 AM
Gregg -

I'll have my 6 for the swap and a few extras for you done today - thanks for doing this buddy!

Juro

Hawkeye
02-17-2002, 12:26 PM
GregO's are in - delivered in person at the tying clave. See his post above to be introduced to his creations.

DFix
02-19-2002, 10:31 AM
Hawkeye, I hope to have half mine done by weeks' end:eyecrazy:

JimW
02-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Here are the Whalen family entries. I'll get them in the mail tomorrow.

tomd
02-19-2002, 09:04 PM
What are those flies on the left??? they look great! Tom D

Hawkeye
02-19-2002, 09:36 PM
Excellent Jim! We're getting some great stuff for the fly board!

Adrian
02-19-2002, 10:15 PM
Wow, some nice looking flies here already!

Jim, that looks like a great Night-Time / Day-time combo.:smokin:

I just got done finishing my entries for the Pike swap but plenty of time to hit the 3/1 deadline.:)

JimW
02-20-2002, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys. Tom, I guess I'd call them snake flies with hackle tails instead of ostrich herl. Hawkeye, are we going to post the recipes online or are they to be sent with the flies? Can't wait to see all the rest of the flies.

Hawkeye
02-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Either way Jim. If I get recipes with the flies I will send them along to the recipient and if not then the recipient will need to get the recipe from the fly board. No matter what, the recipe will be up on the fly board.

grego
02-20-2002, 10:28 AM
Very Nice Jim!

Hawkeye
02-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Over yesterday and today I've received 3 more entries.

Some great looking tube squid from Sean Ransom.

Jim Whalen's snake fly - see above post.

and Jenna Whalen's superb rendition of the real eel.

tomd
02-27-2002, 11:45 PM
I forgot it's a short month, I'm sending tomorow if it's ok Greg. here's a sample flatwing: sean will put it here! please let me know if I'm just too late. Tom D

Here you go Tom (-sean)
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/images/Picture_004.jpg

Adrian
02-28-2002, 12:11 AM
I' running late too but the flies are ready ......pic posted on the archive;)

Will mail out tommorow;)

juro
02-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Can I file for an extension? :tsk_tsk: :rolleyes:

The weekend looks good...

doogue
02-28-2002, 07:42 AM
My flies are done and I will mail them on Saturday - after I take a few pictures of them.

I hope that this is OK with you Hawkeye. Yes?

-Mike

Tod D
02-28-2002, 08:02 AM
NICE Snakes Jim! Were those pre or post last Thursday nice? Granted, I'm am particularly fond of those Tabory inventions, but yours look like deadly nighttime, surf flies.

Make sure you keep at least one & make a mental note for a late August morning outing on a certain flat in our home waters! I've got a feeling we can may find a repeat of last August's festivities.

Hawkeye
02-28-2002, 11:45 AM
I have received a few requests for extensions and that is not a problem. Just send 'em in as soon as you can and let me know that you are sending them in so I wait for them. If you have not seen a post here that I received your flies then they have not arrived here.

Hawkeye
02-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Tod,

The e-mail address you sent me didn't work. I got an undeliverable message.

Adrian
02-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Gregg

I mailed mine out today USPS 1st.

Tod D
02-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Greg,

Sorry about that. Just sent you a pm with my correct email address.

tomd
02-28-2002, 01:29 PM
greg, where do I send em? my email is
tomdunlap@mediaone.net

JimW
02-28-2002, 03:05 PM
Tod, those are actually pre- TNFT. Roop called me and was wondering if I was going to TNFT(Thursday night fly tying) at Dave's shop. It just happened to be one of the few Thursdays I could make it. Come to find out they are tying snakes :rolleyes:
I did enjoy the tying demo and the company even though I had just finished a snake fly marathon. Interesting combo, that black deer hair with maroon marabou, can't wait to try them out. You were going to town there, nice flies.

sean
02-28-2002, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear you recieved my flies ok..was getting worried.

Tom I put up your flatwing pic in your previous post for you. Nice fly!

-sean

striblue
02-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Gregg... I plead like Juro... please... an extension.? Can I bring them to the casting clave or does that foul the plan up.

DFix
03-01-2002, 01:41 PM
Gregg - I'm packaging mine as we speak (at home, before work :D ) - mailing tomorrow:whoa:

Hawkeye
03-01-2002, 04:13 PM
Extensions are, of course, hereby granted to all as long as there is an understanding that the turnaround time may be affected.

Tom, I sent you an e-mail with the address.

Tod, did you get my e-mail this time - it seemed to go out from my end.

saltydog
03-02-2002, 01:39 PM
:( SORRY,Ive been bussy an forgot about the swap do I still have time to get them tied an out buy this comming friday the 8th? Ill do up a DOZ.
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Hawkeye
03-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Saltydog,

Get to twisting! We all want to see what comes off your vise!

No trouble really. I kind of thought people would be a bit late and figured there would be plenty of time for procrastinators before most of the saltwater seasons really got kicking.

Tod D
03-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Gregg - got your email. Flies are in the mail.

TomD - Yes, I think you're too late. Please just send those flatwings to my home address.:rolleyes: :hehe:

Hawkeye
03-02-2002, 07:15 PM
I had a mini flyfishing christmas in March today. The mailman brought me flies from Nick, Adrian, Greg, and Mark. We've definitely got some true artists out there!

Roop
03-03-2002, 08:05 AM
I vow to COMPLETE mine today!!

I'll drop them off at your office tomorrow.

Roop

striblue
03-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Gregg... I will bring mine to the casting clave which is next week.. If I tie them today and mail them tomorrow you would probably get them on Wed... But I am not sure I will have them done today ... so Let me know if I can bring them to the Clave?

Hawkeye
03-03-2002, 06:34 PM
The clave is fine John.

tomd
03-03-2002, 07:32 PM
Greg, can I bring the flies to the clave too? I woldn't want to ruin any of those super long hackles by shipping em twice. :whoa: Tom D

Hawkeye
03-03-2002, 11:59 PM
No problem Tom. See ya there.

For anyone feeling bad about being late - I just finished my flies for the swap:rolleyes:

Hawkeye
03-04-2002, 10:10 AM
Just received Larry's (Shadfreak's) flies. I haven't looked forward to the mailman this much in a long time!

doogue
03-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Gregg,

Just FYI I dropped my flies in the mail this morning.

Thanks again,

Mike

Hawkeye
03-04-2002, 03:54 PM
I just got back from a meeting and found two more packages for me from Nick and Tod. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 flies beside my desk. I'm finding it really, really hard to concentrate!

saltydog
03-04-2002, 05:32 PM
:o Hawkeye, just (finnished) tyin 12 today, will be epoxing the heads tomorrow an should be dry an out the door in a couple of days:eek: "GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

grego
03-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Don't be an Idiot Like Me & give your Flies to Gregg in person, but NOT GIVE HIM YOUR MAILING ADDRESS!

Gregg, I just Fired Off an Email, Thanks Again!

Hawkeye
03-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Greg,

I thought you had given those to me for product testing!? Looks like I'll have to go through my fly boxes and dig them out now. :devil:

You gave me 8 right?

DFix
03-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Hey Hawkeye, you snake - he gave you fifteen - laid them out right in front of that orange hoochy you were tying - there are witnesses:devil:

Hawkeye
03-05-2002, 03:20 PM
Witnesses shmitnesses, everyone knows fishermen exagerate.:D

grego
03-05-2002, 08:20 PM
No Worries; I can Crank those out pretty fast now.

Hawkeye
03-06-2002, 01:34 PM
A nice sampling of Mike Doogue's work arrived yesterday.

I missed a couple/few people with the fly swap mailing address. Please if you are waiting for me to e-mail you stop waiting and harrass me because I am unaware that you are waiting. My deepest apologies to those I missed.

Hawkeye
03-07-2002, 07:11 PM
The vise artistry of Dfix arrived today. The stack keeps growing and they are calling to me more and more. They better get here quick or I'm gonna need medication!

DFix
03-08-2002, 09:30 AM
I'm curious - how does that packaging arrive, condition wise, these several days later?

I sent two similar packages that day; wondering how/what condition yours was in vs. the other, slightly different contents...

Hawkeye
03-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Inovative and effective packaging. The peacock was a little out of shape but that is the nature of that material. A liitle use and you'd never know.

Hawkeye
03-10-2002, 08:24 AM
Yesterday I recieved entries from Bill Roche, Quentin, and John Morrin.

I think I will set the 15th as the final and firm deadline so you still have time but you better get to tying!

Hawkeye
03-11-2002, 05:44 PM
Saltydog,

I got your e-mail and tried to send a reply but it got kicked back to me. I will try a pm but if you don't get it then e-mail me again.

Hawkeye
03-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I recieved Eddie's crease fly artistry today.

I'm curious. How does "Gregg's Fly Shoppe" sound?:devil:

saltydog
03-19-2002, 05:25 PM
:confused: checking to see IF my flies I sent to the swap got there,it's been a while, HAVENT heard if they were received
:confused: 'GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN"

Hawkeye
03-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Sorry Saltydog,

Were your flies sent addressed from Fly Rod & Reel Outfitters? If so they arrived safe, sound and lookin great. Other than those there are no other entries that I have not mentioned here.

Do to various life events we had some people opt out. :( I will be posting their names later so we can all give them a hard time. :devil:

With Juro heading out west to chase the swimming steel I have lost my photographer. Does anyone out there meet the following requirements? Live near Scituate (or be willing to drive here), have a digital camera with whatever is needed to upload the images to my computer, and finally, be willing to spend some time with me some evening to take pictures of all our entries. I'll provide beer and pizza to the photo volunteer.

saltydog
03-20-2002, 05:43 PM
THATS THEM, if you cant get anyone to stop down,Ill go anywher for FOOD,DRINK, I have a new comera comming from KODAK in the mail should be here next week ,if you still dont have anyone let me know Ill spend some time w/you an you can show me HOW TO POST ."GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":D

Hawkeye
03-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Thanks Saltydog! I have had a generous offer from Gone Fishing that will involve mailing one of each to get their pic taken. This will mean the likely shipping date will be somewhere around the 5th of April.

So.... If your new camera is digital and will arive soon and the drive isn't too bad (I'm just about exactly 40 minutes from the Sagamore Bridge) then we could shave 8 or so days off the shipping date. It's no biggie if the drive is a bit much. One week beyond my promised turnaround time is not that bad especially after I granted all those extensions. :hehe: Also Mike is a great photographer and will do a great job.

TinMan
03-20-2002, 11:24 PM
...I'm blushing.

Glad to help, just let me know.

PS: I am GoneFishing as well. Created a new forum ID since I saw IronMike wasn't there anymore, not realizing on this board I registered as TinMan. Kids are sucking the sense out of my brain.
;)
:eyecrazy:

MarkDoogue
03-20-2002, 11:49 PM
I'm in Weymouth and have a decent digital camera.

Hawkeye
03-21-2002, 12:08 AM
Mark,

That's just around the corner! How's a little photo session sound? I know the beer isn't much of a bribe for you :D so I'll try to come up with something else.

MarkDoogue
03-21-2002, 07:21 AM
Bribery is totally unnecessary.

My schedule is fairly clear after Saturday. We'll work something out. When is a good time for you?