Sage 8150 plus other questions [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sage 8150 plus other questions

NrthFrk16
10-25-2001, 10:51 PM
Will trade any NIT Sage Spey rod for a 8150. Im dying to have this rod as Ive heard so many great things about it. I think this is the best all around two-hander around and Ive heard nothing but excellent points regarding this rod.

This would be my first Spey...I bought a reel a couple days ago as Hardy of USA is discounting their 9/10 and 10/11 Large Arbor Viscounts and I got a killer price on it...do you think the 10/11 Large Arbor Hardy will be large enough??? Its rated for WF10 plus 150 yds of 30# backing.

What line do you fish on the 8150...the 7/8/9? If so, then I think it would be large enough.

Anyways, the 8150 is hard enough to find and when I have found them they are priced at almost new which I cant afford. But I can get any Sage Two-Handed series for what I can afford and I will trade any one of those for the 8150. Let me know if anyone is intrested.

THANKS!!!!!

roballen
10-26-2001, 01:01 AM
Ryan
As you know that rod was discontinued by Sage. This August I worked for the Madison River Fishing company. They had an 8150 at that time and they rarely sell spey rods i'd be willing to bet they still have one. My guess is the best deal you'll get is the normal 40% off retail. might keep that in mind if you cant find one somwhere else. I am still trying to sell my 2 spey rods noone seems to interested

NrthFrk16
10-26-2001, 01:57 AM
Rob-
Thanks for the heads up on the Madison River Company...what rods are you trying to sell?

juro
10-26-2001, 11:14 AM
Let me check with a friend who owns one, he might be interested in making a deal.

NrthFrk16
10-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Thanks Juro!! I got an email from another member intrested in making a deal as well. I am going to talk with him...

For what I am doing do you think the 8150 is the best choice?? This rod's going to see its most work take place place on the OP and the lower NF Stilly in the winter and the Sauk. I dont fish the Skagit much or the Sky in the winter. Doublespey fishes one on the Thompson so I guess it would work up there and I think it would be an excellent rod for the Kispiox and other Skeena tribs. Opinions??

Brian, Duggan-
What line do you fish on yours?? The 7/8/9 or the 9/10/11?

Sorry about all the questions.

Doublespey
10-26-2001, 12:43 PM
I love this thread!

Ryan - I KNOW that the Hardy Large Arbor Viscount 10/11 will hold any line you want to fish on the 8150 (except a spey DT) because I have it and have tried several different lines for the 8150 and they all fit (Accelerator 8/9, Triangle Taper Spey 8/9, and WindCutter 8-9-10) with plenty of room for backing.

As for Windcutters, the best for that rod is the 8-9-10 by far. The 7-8-9 is fishable, but you'll get much better distance with the 8-9-10. 9-10-11 is definitely too heavy.

Juro - I'm betting your "friend" won't part with his 8150.

Ryan - I might have a line on one as well. I'll let you know. It
-is- an outstanding rod and by far my favorite of the ones I currently own. Amazingly, tho, the 9140-4 is just as good once you line it correctly (it should really be called the 8140-4). I bad-mouthed this rod for many years till I finally tried UnderLining it with my 8/9 TriangleTaper Spey and found that it cast fabulously. I'd always tried it with the standard 9-10-11 WindCutter and never liked it.

The reason I mention this is 'cause you can always pick up a new older-model 9140-4 for around $300 or less as I've seen quite a few on the market. That might be a backup plan.

Hasta,

Doublespey

roballen
10-26-2001, 01:26 PM
Ryan i am trying to sell my 13 foot 9 wt t&t and a 15 ft 10 wt Sage. I am getting a Burkheimer that will do the job of both rods

sinktip
10-26-2001, 02:01 PM
Ryan,

I too thank you for this thread. I am one of the world's biggest fans of this rod and there are many of us that feel the same way. I first cast Brian's and thought it ok but not a good match for my casting stroke at the time. A few months later I cast Juro's friend Bill's new 8150 lined with a 8-9-10 and fell in love. Or was it lust. Juro might remember me getting back in the raft and saying "damn, that just cost me $700". I knew then that I would have one soon.

I find that I fish mine year around and only switch over to my 10150-4 when the situation calls for heavy tips. If you can find one, pick it up. I cast the new 9150-4 up on the Bulkley this year and while a very nice rod, I would not trade it for the 8150.

Brian is right, if you want to go windcutter, the 8-9-10 is the way to go. I took Dana Sturn's advice and went with the 8/9 Accelerator. Following Dana's instructions, I cut it back 16' and looped it there. Out to 60' all that is required is a tip cast. It really shows well from 60' out though. At first I was concerned that I would be limited in tips and fly size but it handles a 15' Rio Type VI for 8 weight and up to a 1/0 fly like a dream.

Good luck in finding one.

Duggan

NrthFrk16
10-26-2001, 02:12 PM
You guys rock!!!!! Much much much to think about!!! THANKS!!!!

Right now I am on my way to work after the Hell that is UW Calculus. :D I am going to go over all this excellent detailed info when I get home from work this evening. A decision will be made. :)

Brian-
When you say that you undelined your 9140 with the TT Spey, do you fish tips on this rod??...so would a 7/8/9 Windcutter do the job??

And one last question for now...for those that have cast both the 3 piece and 4 piece rods, do you notice a significant differance between the two...in case I was going to track down a 9140. Ive heard the 3 piece rods are alot harder to come by.

THANKS AGAIN!!

juro
10-26-2001, 02:21 PM
Sinktip (10-26-2001 02:01 p.m.):
Brian is right, if you want to go windcutter, the 8-9-10 is the way to go. I took Dana Sturn's advice and went with the 8/9 Accelerator. Following Dana's instructions, I cut it back 16' and looped it there. Out to 60' all that is required is a tip cast. It really shows well from 60' out though. At first I was concerned that I would be limited in tips and fly size but it handles a 15' Rio Type VI for 8 weight and up to a 1/0 fly like a dream.

Good luck in finding one.

Duggan

Finding the right formula is so important in Spey casting that with this info from Dana I am ready to go hunt one down myself ;-)

The only reason I did not buy one myself is I have a 7136-4 and an older (but mint) Loomis IMX 8/9 15 foot 4pc. I bought it before they came out with the 8150 to go between the 10150-4 and the 7136-4. This didn't leave me much in the way of budget for an 8150 when it came out if you know what I mean.

In retrospect...

NrthFrk16
10-27-2001, 01:11 AM
Now I am reconsidering the 8150 as DoubleSpey gave me a great run down on the attributes of each rod and his conclusion is that the 9140-4 is actually a 8140. So now I am thinking of hunting down a 9140-4 in the old graphite III and the not the newer IIIe or IV (the green blank) or whatever the Hell they are using now.

Thanks for all the help!!!!...and double thanks to DoubleSpey for giving me a call and giving a complete lowdown!!

roballen
10-27-2001, 02:04 AM
Ryan all the rods you are considering are decent sticks and I have cast them actually I think I have cast all the old "traditional" Sages and to be honest the only one i have ever liked was the 10150-4.

From my own opinion the 8150 and the 9140 are pretty gutless and the 8150 is heavy for how little power it has.

Like I said all these rods are decent I just don't like them. I don't even like my 10150 but it will jack line out.

I know it's hard for some steelheaders to accept this but Sage isn't the only one making good rods. the Scott 1509 is a much better (in my opinion) rod than any of the Sages. and as a lot of guys will tell you the St Croix 1409 is as good or better than the 9140-4.

But then if you wanna blow them all away try a burkheimer 9143 or if you want a lighter rod some awesome spey casters are saying that the 8139 burkheimer is the best spey rod they have ever cast.
I guess all I am saying is that unless you have your heart set on a particular rod try a couple rods that aren't sages.

NrthFrk16
10-27-2001, 02:23 AM
Rob-
Thanks for the advice and to be honest with you I have considerd the St. Croix 14' #9 as a good entry level rod to get my technique down and to sort of figure out what I will like and what I want in a rod. Plus, by picking up the St. Croix it will not strap me for cash as much as getting my hands on a Sage would.

The reason that I am sticking toward Sage is because my shop sells Sage, Loomis, St. Croix but not Scott and I just feel that I wouldnt want a rod that we dont sell. I know that sounds kind of stupid but thats the way I feel...plus its much easier to choose a Sage rod other then a Scott because for every opinion on a Scott, there are about 20 for a comparable Sage.

New Idea Will trade old school Sage (brown blank) 9140-4 for any Sage rod (two-handers included). :)

juro
10-27-2001, 08:48 AM
Ryan -

I am certainly no expert in the caliber of others on this board but I had a St.Croix 9wt 14 3pc as a starter rod, caught a lot of fish on it. It casts a DT pretty well, some heads, and casts overhand like a rocket - although I never really got comfortable with it and when I got other rods I realized that the taper on that rod is more like an overhand rod because it lacks the sweet spot in the middle that gives Spey rods a pendulum effect.

I gave it to a freind's wife when they were learning to Spey cast together. She cast the 7136-4 much better but I couldn't give her that one ;-)

juro
10-27-2001, 10:17 AM
Hey Ryan -

Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1022825521

sinktip
10-27-2001, 10:27 AM
Isn't this why this is such a glorious sport? We all have opinions and likes and dislikes. What a boring world it would be if we all fished the same stuff.

A couple thoughts from my perspective on the latest info. posted.

Ryan: You should consider Bryan's advice on the 9140, I value his opinion on these things and he has also told me what a great stick the 9140-4 is if underlined. I have yet to cast one this way but it makes sense. I had a 9140-4 and hated it but of course I was fishing a 9-10-11 WC on it. For my style and that setup, it was a long noodle. I know Kush and others feel the 9140-3 is a great stick though when conventionally lined.

One of my buddies has been fishing the St. Croix 14' 9 and it is a good rod for the money. In my opinion though, a 9-10-11 WC underlines it. Go figure.

Robb is right on the Scott rods. The 15' for 9 is an outstanding rod. As is the 9150-4 Sage (although as I stated above, not the equal of the 8150 in my mind). I can't agree with Robb on the 8150 being soft though. My experience is that it is a crisp action rod closer to european action than the traditional. Once again, this might be the way it is lined.

Robb and I need to get together and cast each others sticks some time as I also have a 10150-4 and while I agree it throws it out there, it also suffers from the "noodle" syndrome of the 9140-4. Of course I am throwing a modified line on mine that is probably heavier than most setups. Once again, I would throw out the Scott 1510 as a 10 weight option. I have been toying with picking this rod up for some time.

As I look back through all these posts, what strikes me is the impact lines have on all these rod choices. Depending ont he line, any rod can be a sweet favorite or a piece of junk.

Confused yet?

ST

kush
10-27-2001, 08:13 PM
Ryan,

There are so many choices out there. As I've said before in similar threads the "right " rod depends on many things the rivers you fish the time of year etc., etc., and EVERYBODY has their favourites. Over the last couple of years I have the great fortune to fish a vast array of spey rods mostly thanks to Dana and the demo rods he receives. Frankly, all this has done for me is convince me that I need a whole bunch of rods!

I have however, come across some beauties. The very best casting rod I have used is alas the old ill-fated Sage 10151. It was a dream to cast but had the annoying tendency to morph into a non-regulation 5 piece! The new version is nice - but it is not the same rod - mind you after 13 days on the Thompson it is still in 4 pieces. Other than that, the sweetest rod may be the Loop Yellow, the 14' 10wt, I love it but have been having a tough time getting it away from Dana. It is a treat, light strong and it certainly gets comments on the river! If you are set on a Sage and will find yourself limited to one rod for a wide range of rivers, then my vote for all-round rod is the 9140-3. This is a consensus among a number of the "T" River regulars, once you properly line it it casts like a cannon, is light and extremely versatile. I will go months without using this rod and when I do finally get it out I can't figure out why I actually put it down. I know Brian got one and he loves it.

Unfortunately (fortunately?), your problem is that there are a number of great options out there. My suggestion might be to have an open mind about 2 or 3 rods and get out and CAST them as well as consider the best deal and just go for it! Eventually you will accumulate more of these things than you thought possible so the very first one is NOT as critical as you may think now! Good luck and have fun in your quest!

Tight lines - tyler.

Eugene
10-29-2001, 11:15 AM
Ryan, you can get last years 9140-4 blanks for $215 on the Anglers Proshop website (see the VFS classifieds).

NrthFrk16
10-30-2001, 02:03 AM
Thanks again for all the responses in the thread and the ones I have recieved via email.

I managed to dig up a 9140-4 at work in the Old School graphite so I do believe it is the rod that so many people have disliked yet DoubleSpey and others have told me, if properly lined, it is one Hell of a rod.

Im going to have to Brian to come into the shop and jiggle the rod to make sure THAT IS THE ONE. :D

Fred Evans
10-30-2001, 10:25 PM
Not sure of the exact date yet but the "Spey Clave #2" will be on the Sandy River in early May, 2002. The first was a gas with over 100 single minded spey casters in attendance. Almost any rod you could imagine was available for testing.

Interesting to have someone you've only met on the International Spey Casting board hand you a $800 rod and say 'try this one.' The fellow there ranged from the inexperince to the true Jedi Masters of spey casting. Well worth following and attending.

Mark Bachman of the FlyShop in Welchs, Oregon is 'directing' # 2; excellent place to do business with a guy who realllllly knows his business.
fe