"Blue Planet" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Blue Planet"

grego
01-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Did anyone see this Discovery Special last night (1/27/02 9-11 PM)?

It was Fantastic!!! I wish I had taped it, but I assume it will be re-broadcasted.

It was not at all geared towards fishermen, but there was some great footage of game fish (tuna), showing how they trap bait & then slash into it at 30 mph. There was also other topics that would be of use to fishermen. Like, how currents & algie, effect bait which in turn attracks fish, and so on. Real Cycle of life stuff.

They claim 5 years of reseach & filming went into this special & there is some never before seen footage. It is a "must see". It could have easily gone 4-5 hours.

Note to parents with little kids: There was some very Graphic footage too!

Dble Haul
01-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Greg- I caught the tail end of the show, so I missed all of the tuna action. I did get to see those penguins rocketing out of the water, though. They may be flightless birds, but they sure can move in the water.

It was also interesting to see the tons of krill in the water. After seeing this, it's much easier to see why it's a prime food source for so many fish, birds, and mammals. Interesting stuff.

sean
01-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Yes it kicked arse. It continues tonight at 9 for another couple hours on the open ocean and deep sea.

The footage of the tuna blitzing the sardines was spectacular. Also the dolphin using air bubbles to trap sardines was also very cool.

Cannot wait to watch some more tonight.

I love the discovery channel.

-sean

grego
01-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Yes!

http://dsc.discovery.com/schedule/series.jsp?series=5050

Third Part "Deep" tonight 10:00PM!

Roop
01-29-2002, 07:30 AM
Monday night I was blown away by the squid & the herring shots.

Did anyone pay attention to the color of trhe squid??

Last night the yellowfin & bonito shots were awesome, love those baitballs!!

Need a boat, need a boat, need a boat......:eyecrazy:

juro
01-29-2002, 08:10 AM
Tuned in for a few minutes until the family regained control of the remote... just in time to see the diving birds and skipjacks working together on the sardines. I've seen this from above many times in the pacific with salmon under herring or candlefish (sand eel slang name in the PNW) and with the northeast coast's frequent "blitz" activity but the views from below the surface were beyond belief, especially the spiralling 'flock' of birds reaching their diving limit once the tuna moved on.

Then the yellowfin blitz right off the transom... :eyecrazy:

Hawkeye
01-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Awesome show! Thanks for the heads-up!

Lefty
01-29-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Roop
.....Need a boat, need a boat, need a boat......:eyecrazy:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?threadid=4192