Sad News Regarding Steelheading Legend [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sad News Regarding Steelheading Legend

NrthFrk16
01-26-2002, 10:37 PM
I recieved word yesterday, that Walt Johnson was found unconscious in his home by his daughter. He was rushed to a hospital and of yesterday was in a coma but responding physically to his daughter.

Walt is a legend of the Stilly and knows that river better then anyone. He is also one of the nicest fellows you will ever meet...

Walt is well known for his beautifully tied and innovative shrimp/spey patterns and for his ability to consistently land steelhead on split-cane midge rods made by popular by Lee Wulff.

Although in recent years his fishing became very limited, he is still capable of tying up one beautiful steelie fly.

My thoughts are with him and his family...

andre
01-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Ryan,

That is truely sad news. I had the good fortune of meeting Walt on few occations, he truely is a gracious and considerate man. I wish him and his family the best.

andre

juro
01-30-2002, 06:37 AM
I consider Walt Johnson to be as much an icon of north cascades steelhead flyfishing as Babe Ruth to baseball and am saddened to hear of this news. Ryan, I wonder if it would be appropriate to send him a get well flybox... I will arrange the wheatley and hand engrave it if you arrange the delivery? What do you think?

NrthFrk16
01-30-2002, 10:38 PM
Juro-
I think that is a great idea!! Walt is a complete gentleman and I think he would dearly love that. A good freind of Walt's is a good customer of ours and he is the one that informed of Walt's condition. His email adress is gardenfly@aol.com (I believe) so if you shipped the box to him I know for sure it would end up in Walt's hands. :)

Leland Miyawaki
01-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Juro,

I just heard from Gil Nyerges that Walt is not responding to the therapy. I'll keep you posted if his condition should change.

Leland.