HELP!! Need Hardy/SA experts [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: HELP!! Need Hardy/SA experts

Steelheader69
01-25-2002, 09:59 PM
I have a Hardy made Scientific Anglers system 8 fly reel. I'm looking for a spare spool for this reel. Here's my delima. Since it's made by Hardy, is there a spare spool they still make tha can be used on this reel? If not, do ay of you know where I can find one without breaking the bank? I've tried emailing Hardy, but haven't heard back from them yet. I will need to keep looking and praying I find one I guess. Ii've found one guy who has one, but he wants a mint for it, more then I paid for the whole reel. Sshould I just break own and pay for it, or are thre other options?

Mmy reel has a hairline crack in the current spool. DOesn't hurt it at al, just prefer to have the line I use the most on a decent spool.

I need your help!!!! SOS

Moonlight
01-25-2002, 10:16 PM
69er, Your in luck the system 8 is interchangable with the standard Hardy Marquis I will check with the all knowing one and report back to you but if I remember there is a difference in the sizes may haps the SA style 8 is the Marquis 7 or vis a versa. Any hoot I will check with the learned one and let you know as soon as I can get him to tell me.

wrke
01-25-2002, 10:54 PM
ThSystem 8 is the same as the Marquis 8/9. I should know, I have both and probably 6 spools. New spools go for the outrageous price of approx $120!!! I paid, I think, about $40 for my first System 8 reel. You can generally find spools on the auction sites for $40 or so.
bill

Steelheader69
01-26-2002, 10:16 PM
I'll keep thaat in mind. I've found whole rels on ebay, but not spare spols. I'm looking at spre spool only. I had did the double reel thing on my spey reels, nd was a pain. I'l kkeep my eyes peeled. One guy wants $75 plus shipping for a used one. May just keep watching ebay. Heck, I only paid $45 for the whole reel.

loco_alto
01-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Bill's got the right idea - be patient, look used. I sold a mint Marquis 8/9 spool on eBay a year ago and it garnered only $40, and that was for the polished rim variety.

don't be afraid to engage both pawls if the drag feels a little soft from age