just browsing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: just browsing

sean
01-22-2002, 01:06 PM
So I was on the sauk last weekend looking for dollies and maybe a steelhead and found myself with a serious case of spey rod envy.

I was the only guy with a short rod and felt inadequate for the first time in a long while.

Now I cannot stop thinking about one and am contemplating about getting one. Emphasis on thinking about it. No rash decisions allowed on my part.

Was checking out flyfishusa.com and saw this:

spey deals (http://www.flyfishusa.com/newsletter/041601/#Inexpensive)

and thought hell I could maybe juggle a few things and afford that....Could get a full set up with tips for under $500.

Also found a 14 ft 9/10 st. croix imperial with tioga reel and windcutter line for $315.

Which is the better deal?

Question being...do you guys think a 14ft 9/10 outfit would be suitable for summer applications as well?? I spend a lot of time chasing fish in the salt with a short rod so I don't want to put too much money into this as I will not be steelheading all that much. Maybe a couple times a month at most. One rod that does everything would be nice...

-sean

Willie Gunn
01-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by sean
. One rod that does everything would be nice...

-sean [/B]

Yea right just like one car or one women.

Malcolm

sinktip
01-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Sean,

We all start with just that attitude. "I will get one rod that works for everything." Of course once the addiction sets in you start adding a rod here and there. All joking aside, I know nothing of the Redington rods but the St. Croix 14' 9/10 is a good entry rod which will serve you well on the Sauk/Skagit. It might be a bit beefy for summer runs but you can make it work for you. The Tioga is a great reel for the price. For $315, I think you won't go wrong.

Good luck and welcome to the club :)

By the way, how was the Sauk fishing this weekend? Crowds? I was debating heading up on Saturday to float the middle drift but opted for the upper Sky instead.

ST

Nate Bailey
01-22-2002, 02:12 PM
sean
is there any chance you could make it to the spey clave, you will have a chance to cast almost every rod made, I lucky because when I started with a double hander, fred took me under his wing and let me cast alot of his different rods I learned alot about what I liked and what I didnt..........Nate

fredaevans
01-22-2002, 02:26 PM
But if you can't wait, reallly have the 'hots,' stick with Mark's shop. You'll get customer service like it's ment to be, you'll have the full warrenty (sh... happens) etc. Mark's folks won't sell you something that not right for what you need, applications, etc.

Interesting mind set there: The Fly Shop knows you're going to drop the dime but they're concerned with the second and third sale, not just the first.

fe

steeliesonafly
01-22-2002, 03:38 PM
You can't go wrong with the St. Croix combo. I have this one and love it. For the Price you are going to pay. It will be tough to beat! Fred is right though, if you can wait until the Clave and can make it. You should try some rods, and see which one feels right for you! Cost be damned, because once you find the right set up. You won't need alot of others. :hehe: Well, maybe not:rolleyes:

Doublespey
01-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Hi Sean,

One Redington is actually a recycled Loop rod - the 14' for 9/10wt is VERY stiff and not a very pleasant rod for summer/floating line fishing. I'm guessing it would be a good winter rod for tips if you find an effective line system.

I don't know anything about the 13' rod - it would probably be the best bet if you had to choose between these choices for under $500 - BUT- you have lots more options than these for that price range.

Drop me an email at Doublespey@hotmail.com. There are many ways to get a great summer/winter rod for under $500 (possiblye even under $400) that are much higher quality and with a lifetime "break and replace" warranty.

And definitely get out and cast a couple rods with one of the Flytalk crowd before you buy - most of us have more than 1 spey rod (I think I'm up to 5 ranging from an 11 1/2' 6wt to a 15' 10/11wt cannon). :whoa:

hasta,

DS

sean
01-23-2002, 05:27 PM
as far as the sauk is concerned....

Was there on sunday and battled throuigh rain,sleet, and snow. River was a little low but in good shape and noone I talked to had caught a thing with the exception of a few dollies.

I hook into something briefly that got into some fast water and broke me off.

Other than being wet and cold I had a good time.

Thanks everyone for the rod advice. I appreciate it.

-sean

juro
01-23-2002, 05:36 PM
Sean -

My Spey rods only get out once or twice a year. I'll send you one to use until you either move to the east or I need it for some reason later.

I heard they stiffen up if left unused too long ;)

fredaevans
01-23-2002, 05:55 PM
Probably why I always carry three in the car. Different rod/set ups depending upon the time of the year/fishing location. For winter use I'll take the 18' B & W 10wt, a Sage and Scott 10 wt or substitue a Sage 9wt if water is on the lower side.

Summer work will be the 9wt, a Loomis 8wt for tips, and the 7136-4. In a overkill mood will drop the Loomis in fav. of a 7100xp and/or the Redington 11'3" single hander (this rod also make a hell of a good light wt spey, single hander or no).

Too many toys, too many choices. Rods in closet does you no good on the river. (Also fun to have if you get into impromto spey lessons on the beach).
fe

lastcaststeve
01-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Dear Sean

I'm with Juro on this one. I too have far to many unused rods...and would be more than happy to send you one you could learn with and play with until you had the opportunity to decide what your final choice will be.....I have a 14' 8 wt. similar to the St. croix, or older Sage 9140...and many many more longer and shorter...

welcome to a community of spey nuts!

Steve

kush
01-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Sean,

I'll jump in with Juro and Steve (I won't send you one of my rods) but their advice is very good, get ahold of as many rods as you can before you commit to one. If you can borrow one while you are learning - you are way ahead of most of us. It is decidedly difficult to make a rod choice when you can't really cast - so take Juro or Steve up on their offer. Then, once you have an idea of how the beasties work THEN get out and try a bunch and make the choice that suits you.

sean
01-24-2002, 11:48 AM
Thanks you guys. I am floored by the offers to borrow rods and others have even offered to give me a lessen or two.

Cannot think of what to say except thank you Juro for bringing me in to help with the forum and meet all these great folks.

Juro and I have some gear swapping going with a kayak and pontoon boat and a rod to play with will be included in the east coast care package.

Lastcaststeve thank you for your offer and I very well may take you up on it. Would be interested in seeing the 8wt. Also I see your home water is the cowlitz. My parents live in onalaska and I am down there at least every other week and am going to start fishing the cow more often. Maybe I will see you on the water...

Again you are all great folks and I cannot say enough how much I appreciate the kind offers and great info I get from this list. I am honored to be involved with this forum.

-sean