RE. NE Casting Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RE. NE Casting Clave

jared
01-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Juro --

'Fraid I'll have to pass on this one...that Saturday is the first day of the Wilmington Show....so will be busy at the UFT booth -- and also checking out the finals of the Northeast Fly Tying Comp.

Did anyone from here end up entering???

--jared

juro
01-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Didn't realize the date conflict, thanks. On the other hand the athletic facility is only a stone's throw from Wilmington and the casting pool at that show is the worst I've ever seen. The backcasting area at Marlboro was a dream, but at Wilmington you have to cast over a wall between pipes if you want to make even a moderate backcast.

What better way to get out yer' casting ya yahs without any lines to wait in, and just about as many rods on the wall to boot. We start at 3pm, giving people lots of time to see Wilmington beforehand with minutes to the casting clave.

Dave - what say you? Maybe scheduling ON this weekend is a good idea for those driving a ways like last year, two birds one stone and all that.

striblue
01-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Juro... I will call you tomorrow at work... Also... if we start at 3pm.. that's would be good since you are right, a morning at the show and the afternoon casting.. It should work out fine. Except for those working at the show. Will Todd Murphy be working with Ken Abrames? I wonder since if we are planning on asking him to attend the casting clinic there might be a conflict if he is committed to working with Abrames at the show (providing Abrames has a booth like he did in Marlboro)

Sprocket
01-22-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi guys,
I'll probably have to work the booth again but I'll finagel it so I can attend the casting gig.

jared
01-22-2002, 09:59 AM
the casting "puddle" at wilmington is lousy.....but where else
can you get genuine "american chop suey"???

:hehe:

--jared

juro
01-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by jared
the casting "puddle" at wilmington is lousy.....but where else
can you get genuine "american chop suey"???

:hehe:

--jared

Hopefully... NOWHERE!!! :devil:

I like the overall Wilmington show though and anything that puts hall usage fees into the hands of the Shriners is good by me. Free critical burn care for children is about the most honorable use of people's time and money I can think of in this day and age.

Chris
01-22-2002, 08:16 PM
Is there a link to a site for the Wilmington show? If not, can someone tell me where the show is? I yet haven't been to that one. also, where's the casting 'clave?

MarkDoogue
01-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Just a thought, if children are going to be at the casting clave should we all coordinate the rental of shorter 3-5wt. rods from local fly shops for that weekend?

I would gladly pick a few up from the shops in and around Boston if everyone thought that it would help the kids.

I now of one shop I could pick up Winstons from and another that would rent me some Sages.

~Mark

tomd
01-23-2002, 01:56 AM
Juro, my freind Ed Shea and I will be coming to the casting clave... so you guys can finally get to play with all those powells.:D knowing Ed, he'll probably have about a dozen rigged up to play with. Tom D
:eyecrazy:

juro
01-23-2002, 07:19 AM
Great News TOM!

Looking forward to it. When Ed does his demo days, we are always having a clave. This time, our dates line up perfectly!

DFix
01-23-2002, 09:00 AM
Chris - I think it's www.flyfishingshows.com

either with or without the plurality of the word - it's one or the other. Sorry I missed you and your boy at the fair this past weekend.

juro
01-23-2002, 10:00 AM
FYI -

http://www.sportshows.com/Wilmington/wilmmain.htm

BirdFish
01-23-2002, 12:49 PM
The March 9 date, 3 - 7PM,was the only one I could get for the field house and I didn't realize that the Wilmington show was that weekend. After last years casting clave, I am really looking foward to this one. This casting clave is a unique winter opportunity and there are several Fly shows during the winter. I hope we make this a go.
Dave Williams

JimW
01-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Dave, Way to go. That facility is awesome. I'm really looking forward to it.

Quentin
01-23-2002, 03:35 PM
So . . . Is the casting clave a "definite" or still a "maybe"? If anyone is making a list of potential attendees in order to measure the level of interest, please add me to the list. Someone has to teach me how to properly stick a hook in my ear!
Q

MarkDoogue
01-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Count me in.

juro
01-23-2002, 06:29 PM
Dave -

Thanks for doing this. I think the proximity to the show will be a real plus for people who have to drive a ways to get to Wilmington, seeing how this is just a few minutes drive down the road.

talk soon,
Juro

BirdFish
01-23-2002, 06:51 PM
For those of you that want to double up and take in both the Wilmington Show and the Indoor Casting Clave, the Reading Field house is a 5 minute drive from the Shriners Auditorium.
Dave Williams

tomd
01-23-2002, 07:46 PM
Juro, Ed and I are definates

juro
01-23-2002, 08:07 PM
Tell your S/O's your going to be late for dinner, we're definitely hopping out for a burger and brew afterwards.

John Desjardins
01-23-2002, 10:41 PM
Put me down for two, my son and I.

jared
01-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Likely to miss this one too.....but an earlier post in the
thread made mention of getting rods for kids. Not sure
where they are but I'm sure I can borrow the rods from
FFF -- if memory serves, we had 8-and-a-half 5 & 6
weight rods.

Please let me know if you want them so I can get
the ball rolling on that.

thanks!

--jared

bcasey
01-24-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm in, my son too!

Sprocket
01-24-2002, 11:38 AM
If this is a sign up sheet:
I'll take two please - me & Finnegan (Lorraine)

FredA
01-24-2002, 11:46 AM
Count me in for 2. I'll have to convince my wife, son or daughter that they'll have a good time.

Hawkeye
01-24-2002, 04:43 PM
Count me in too.

FishHawk
01-25-2002, 06:20 AM
Count me in and possible two or three other friends. If anyone has the T&T 12x12 would love to cast at rod.
For that matter ,would like to cast any T&T as that will be the next rod that I make.
FishHawk

Eddie
01-25-2002, 05:47 PM
I'll be there.

juro
01-25-2002, 06:30 PM
Awesome! Almost hit quorum already. The sign up will go up this weekend. LOOKING FORWARD TO IT!

Broadbill
01-25-2002, 10:27 PM
Count me in again this year.

And FishHawk, I'll bring an 8# and 10# T&T Horizon for you to try. At Marlboro, Nick Curcione told me that T&T was thinking of doing a demo day on the Cape in the spring specifically for two-handers. I told him to make sure to alert this board and Jeff Smith's. Stay tuned.

Broadbill

Tod D
01-26-2002, 02:41 PM
Oh! Got to finish that 10# for some indoor practicing! I'm a tentative as I hope to be able to block out some time to catch the show as well.

Roop
01-28-2002, 08:33 AM
Jay is your # 8 T&T a travel rod?

I hear it has a distictly differnet action than the #10. Is that true?

Roop

Jimmy
01-28-2002, 08:39 AM
Got a tentative OK from the war department. Now all I need is to get someone to work for me. Really looking forward to seeing some old friends.

Broadbill
01-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Jeff -

I wish it were a travel rod, but it's a 2-piece. But it does indeed have a distinctly different action from the 10 wt. And not just because of line weight. Softer and slower. I haven't entirely figured it out yet. You're welcome to give at a long test at CastClave II.

Jay

Adrian
01-28-2002, 05:36 PM
Count me in!

I was planning on coming up for Wilmington so doing the clave the same day is brilliant!

I should be ok to hang around for a burger afterwards too!

Tons of catching up to do since just back from Kauai
:D

MarkDoogue
01-31-2002, 10:38 PM
How limited will we be on attendees for the Clave?

The reason I ask, I have at least one friend who has never been fly fishing before that has expressed interest. Also, I believe he has an acquaintance that is a casting instructor that may like to show up as well.

Are we leaning towards a members(and family) only gathering due to occupancy constraints?

~Mark

jared
02-01-2002, 10:00 AM
please tell me that any reference to "members only" is purely
in jest?!?!?!

:confused:

--jared

striblue
02-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Jared.. I think Mark is only refering to all people registered with the Forum. So it is only a reference to that.. there is no "official" anything.

juro
02-01-2002, 11:34 AM
The sign up form will go up right after the Newport RI event with Saltwater Edge. We'll use paypal again but we'll take your word as a flyfisher if you don't like that option.

There are two goals for the fee:

a) cover the cost of this huge arena, over $500 for the session
b) provide another really great time for a very reasonable fee, probably about $20 for adults, less if we get more people. Once we "members" (those who are reading this) cover the costs of the arena kids and spouses come free

We will limit the occupancy to a reasonable number of people. Any signups beyond the arena cost will go to prizes for a kids casting contest, and a big kids casting contest depending on attendance. Anything over that will go to recovery from the Marlboro show costs.

I am happy to annouce that we WILL have professional casting instruction from Capt. Todd Murphy again this year. :smokin:

We will also have a special guest appearance by Powell Rods thanks to Tom Dunlap and other guests in the works / TBD.

The wheels are turning on this event, and it's gonna be a blast. Once we get back from Newport we'll go full force with this one. If you want to help organize, please contact Dave Williams, Roop or myself. We have plenty to do!

MarkDoogue
02-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Striblue is correct, by "member" I merely meant anyone that could read the post.

I didn't want someone that frequents the board to be on the outside looking in because unrelated people want to attend. I figured Juro would want the faithful to be provided for.

Sorry for the confusion.

~Mark