Need advice on spey line [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Need advice on spey line

Steelheader69
01-19-2002, 07:50 PM
Actually this will probably help pmflyfisher too. I know he's looking at posssibly getting the same rod I'm asking about here. I'm looking at buying the St Croix 7/8 13' for summerrun fishing. Ii was curious what is the best line to run on this rod to load it properly. I'm only using it for summer fishing, so won't need a sink tip. Would I be better off with a DT or WF spey line? Won't need a multitip. Any suggestions?

Thanks Jerry

Moonlight
01-19-2002, 08:34 PM
69er I have the St. Croix 13' 7/8 and find it to work quite pleasantly with DT 8wt. On the odd ocasion when I fish a sink tip in the early summer I also like it with the DT 8wt with the front taper removed and a spliced in loop for multi tip changes. Nice rod I also really like the 14 9/10 which I also fish with a DT 10 11 also with a home made spliced loop for various tips. Enjoy the rod the fact that you don't get taken to the cleaners when you purchase the St. Croix seems to make some folks think there inferior I find them to be more than adequate.

roballen
01-21-2002, 05:49 PM
Hi Jerry not trying to pry you away from the St Criox rod by any means. Just trying to inform you of a good deal I saw today. I was at the Lamiglas factory outlet store today and they have a 13 or 13.5ft 7-8 spey rod there for 200 dollars. It's a second with no warentee but it's a nice rod with some cosmetic blem somwhere. I cast this model last spring it has a nice crisp action and would make a good summer run rod.