Marlboro [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Marlboro

striblue
01-18-2002, 10:03 PM
Got there late, around 10:00 and Jeff and Juro were setting up the booth... we worked until opening and the crowd was slim but began to pick up... but the usual Friday at the show.. I started with the tying around 12 and helped a beginner do the Crab Apple then Bob Pink did his wizardry with the flat wing.. we had a camera and and a sreen in back of the booth so others could watch the tying... Tiring day... Juro was falling asleep around 7 at the computer. Roop sold two of Tony S's prints and we saw Brendan O'Brien. Todd(sprocket), Todd Murphy, Eddie, Bill Stanton and Doug D.. Rick S. did his tying and met a bunch of other guys not now on the forum. Helped a Fellow named Jack tye some high tie polar fiber bait fish while Roop worked with two kids. That Powell rod... the new Tiberon is one hell of a rod.. problem is it's $725.... Bears Den had some great colors in Buck tail and I was finally able to buy some ski blue polar fiber. I did some walking around and spent tons on fly tying stuff. Tomorrow will get there early and spend the day at our booth.. Looking forward to watching Mark Sidotti ccast at 10:30 tomorrow and Enrico Puglisi tye... spoke with John Morrison who showed me the fly shop where he buys his deer hair for spinning... Great day and I look forward to tomorrow...If I see one more still photo of Roop with his big stripers I will go nuts. See you tomorrow.

doogue
01-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Men,

I heard from Jeff Borkowski that you guys could use pedestal vises. I will bring mine tomorrow morning and I should show up around 10:30 AM.

Looking forward to it.

-Mike

Bob Pink
01-18-2002, 10:16 PM
Fun time which seemed to fly past much too quickly. Every shop that stocks quality tying materials must know know striblue on sight because he brought an absolutly STUNNING selection of his work this winter. If you remember that 200 in 2 weeks post? Well, that's some creative and quality work there John. Hope you bring a good amount of those back tomorrow for the Saturday groups to learn from. Oh John!! Umpqua's calling!

Kudos to Juro & Jeff for having the vision to make this work. The tying class was fun once I got past my 'impostor complex'. Seemed odd to be sitting there and look out to see a crowd gathered around the booth..

If you are going Saturday/Sunday all I can say is that you will definately have a good time...

juro
01-19-2002, 05:09 AM
If you could pick one thing to say about the Forum without any hesitation it would be "team effort". This show has been that in spades.

It's only been day one and already we should be looking at MVP votes for Roop, BobP, Striblue, Hawkeye, JimW, RichD, GregD, all those who provided vises and tools, with special thanks to John and Bob for leading excellent tying sessions, Chris Delise for the awesome stickers (again), and Nick Svencer for the best damn SWFF boxes ever. Roop and I ran impromptu sessions with youngsters (seemed to be a popular request) nothing like seeing kids beaming smiles after a first fly!

Our sponsor Rich Soriano of Fly Rod & Reel Outfitters in Marlboro (just a few miles down the road) came and snipped some serious flash-n-feather with us yesterday. His session went so well he had a curtain call and had to make an encore performance!

Today, we will feature Stan Mackerwicz, one of the best (and most humble) tyers in the Bay State, our friend and mentor Harry Koons of Nauset Angler and inventor of the Rat's Ass, Capt. Ray Stachelek, generous contributor to the Forum whom we all know and love for his angel hair creations, and our man on Monomoy Capt. Todd Murphy who is working with Kenney Abrams at the show but will be able to run a session with us in the afternoon.

I hope to see you there in a few hours! Off to Kinko's Copies...

pmflyfisher
01-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Sounds great, wish I could attend to learn more about salt water flies for my trips back to NJ and visits to the surf, but will look for the results of the top flies and techniques in the Striper and Salt Water areas of the forumn.

For me today will be tying some michigan steelhead flies, relaxing, and getting ready for the Chicago Bears play off game this afternoon with the Philadelphia Eagles.

We have a couple of inches of new snow, it is in the low twenties, the hawk is out (wind chill), snow showers predicted, its Da Bears NFL playoff weather for sure !! Catch it on national tv at the show today.

Have a good one!

:hehe: :hehe:

striblue
01-19-2002, 09:17 AM
Hal....don't forget ... The Patriots are tonite.... Pat's vs. Bears in two three weeks? Hmmmm... Repeat with different results naturally.

MarkDoogue
01-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I'll be one of the faithful, freezing his bo-jangles off, under the lights of Foxboro tonight.

I won't make the show today but I will be in around 10:00AM on Sunday. I have about three or four hours to spend there before my fatherly duties call. Hope to see everyone there.

~Mark

pmflyfisher
01-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Oh yes will be watching the Pats tonight.

Whats interesting is that Donavan Mcnabb is local chicago boy who grew up here and was a HS school star now returning for the big game at Soldier field against the Bears.

Did not see much of the Patriots on TV out here this year so don't know much about them other then DB lost his job.

Good luck to the Pats against the Raiders tonight

Hal

Quentin
01-19-2002, 12:49 PM
Well, I made my first appearance at a "fly fishing" show on Friday. I've been to other sportsmans shows and fishing shows, but none of those focused on fly fishing. I was impressed by the amount of quality merchandise they had for sale. Some of the other shows had so much "junk" that they seemed more like garage sales. If I knew more about SW fly tying I could have spent a small fortune on materials! Good line-up of seminars too. I caught the seminars by Barry Beck (outdoor photography tips) and Alan Caolo (sight fishing for stripers), both of which were very informative and entertaining. Can't wait to test some of Caolo's theories!

You guys did a great job with the Forum's booth. Nice location too! (go inside and turn left) Good idea to do the tying lessons and give people a way to participate. After wandering around and looking at all the stuff that I wished I could buy, it was nice to be able to sit down and "do" something for a while. I managed to tie my first spreader style fly with a little help (ok, a lot of help) from Rich and Juro. It was my first SW fly that used more than just thread and bucktail. Now I just need to learn how to put it in front of a fish! Looking forward to the casting clave!
Q

striblue
01-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Another good day to spend a winter day... ... Lets see.. the booth brought a lot of people to the fly tying.. HarryK did his Rats ass, Ray S. did his Angel hair... Bob Pink tyed with his daughter... Fred showed up and showed off the deep sand eel with Unique hair... Pete was in his usual good mood... Both Ray and Harry gave me their tyed flies for the display case at CAC. Brendan O'Brien gave me three bueatiful display cases he used to have in his office for CAC... Cris D. was there with his brother..Darryl... Jim Doogue handed out pictures from this summer... Mike Doogue showed up with out his Tuxedo... Jeff B. saved the day with a bag full of great sandwiches to the disdain of Jim Doogue... Hawkeye maned the booth with his usual cool breezy charm... Roop bossed Juro around....Dave Fix showed up with his lovely wife... and was his usual happy self... Todd (Sproket) showed up with his girl friend but bought nothing today.. and why was that Todd? Meet our other Todd. Alan Caolo hung around for a while and I gave him one of my crab apples. Had a nice conversation with Mark Sedotti...Jim Whelan and Art B. were exchanging comments on rod building... Fish Hawk stayed awhile... I swore to Brian Casey that "yes ,I did finally join the CCA... with Cash". Sorry, some of the names are escaping me for the moment and if I missed anyone.. not intended. Mr. Devereaux(sp) spent another day. I will let Juro . Roop and other fill in the blanks. Oh, yes.. Ian D.did one great job fly tying and it was good to meet him. Watched Puglasi and spoke with Martinek and Poplovic. Todd Murphy stopped by again and was working with Kenny Abrames.. I did by Abrames book though. Looked for first eddition Books but were all too expensive... no deals there.

juro
01-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Nice job John - there was so much going on there today that I could not possibly recall it all as well as you have, particularly now that I have gotten home thru the snow, sat down and poured one.

Just wanted to add that the first tying session of the day was with Capt. Stan Mackerwicz, which went awesome and we are really thankful that a tyer of his caliber was able to kickoff the day.

Thinking about all the great people that the show brings to both sides of the counter... pretty amazing. Many of whom you mentioned, too many more to possibly name.

I would like to take a moment to mention how much of a special pleasure it was to meet Chris's son Ian, tie with him, and most of all see the improvised patterns he invented with the materials and tying tools between sessions. His high spirits were uplifting and his recovery inspiring. I look forward to the day we get to fish those flies together, Ian!

Thanks to all who contributed to the success of the booth today, with special thanks to Stan, Harry, Ray and Gil! It was truly an honor to have you guys leading our tying sessions today. We look forward to fishing with you in the 2002 season!

Please check back for the full image gallery and report... after I get some rest :o

juro
01-19-2002, 10:53 PM
Chris and Ian Delisle:

MarkDoogue
01-20-2002, 01:57 AM
Excellent picture!!!

I look forward to the day that my son Sean and I can sit down and tie flies together. Better yet, I hope Sean, my little Bro', Mike and his Grandpa Jim get to spend some time together around a vice some day.

It's 2AM, and I just finished shoveling my driveway after the Patriots triumphant overtime victory. After a few glasses of water to dilute the haze I've accumulated, I'm off to bed. I'll see you all at the show tomorrow.

~Mark

artb
01-20-2002, 07:46 AM
:eyecrazy: I was glad to meet everyone yesterday, and now can tie a face to some of the names on the forum, some I was able to talk more to than others, but I talked more with the guys that could put up with me. The invite is open for anyone that wants to fish southern RI this year, go Juro, and gang. Artb

Bob Pink
01-20-2002, 09:05 AM
art,
it was a highlight for me yesterday to finally meet you. I really was coveting a chance to try that 10' 8?/9? wt that you just finished. That was some beautiful wrapping work. I also agree that Stan was a fine way to start the day's tying sessions. I found his insights very helpful ( think gillplates ) and I always enjoy a chance to sit and tie with Audry. She get's it.
There are also some folks that are at the show each year who are absolutly wonderful to Audry, Geroge Roberts and Shelia Hassan have a special connection, Audry left with a pair of George's clouser earrings and with thoughts of Shelia's IGFA world record ( Bluefish, 6lb ) in her head.... Bob Lindquist form NJ who always welcomes her by name ( just that is hard to believe ) and of course the forum gang who know her vicariously through a very proud dad.

Only downside was the crowds, I'd have been dissapointed if I had been there and needed to get some up close time with a particular product or vendor. I was jsut as glad that we had to blast at noon to go to hockey practice...

Thanks to all the volunteers who've come together to make this idea work.... ( Nice touch with the badges there Hawkeye! )

off to Hockey

striblue
01-20-2002, 10:23 AM
I also wanted to thank Art for bringing in his video pictures and he did one heck of a bueatiful Job on that rod.... should I take up rod making?... oh no, not now... I still need to complete one example of each Dick Brown Bone fly from his pattern book.... A couple of good tips... when tying Puglisi's flies.. go sparce... cut lengths shorter as you move toward the eye... also make sur to do some "side" tying. Rays angel hair is also tyed very sturdy... as I witnessed.... You can put more colors in by his method. In tying Harry's Rats Ass... be sure not to bring the rabbit fur all the way to the eye... tye off before. Can't make it to the show today.... daughters B-day party and still buzzed over the Pat's game... By the way... it may have been a tough call for Oakland , and the rule may need to be clarified...but it was applied according to the rule. A tuck is allowed.

jared
01-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Managed to take all of 2 short breaks from the UFT Beginners table...did stop by your booth once to say a VERY brief high, and did a walk-by on the way out.

Was a blast having SO many kids (and a smattering of adults) lined up to tie their first fly...as rewarding as it always is, I for one
am QUITE glad that I'm not on show duty today; and can safely say it will be SOME time before I tie yet another brown hackle peacock!

:eyecrazy: (roughly what my eyes felt like before the breaks!!)

John -- thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Dave, I appreciated you taking the helm for one fly so I could re-charge. Terry, sorry we didn' t manage to hook up to tie that fly...maybe Wilmington??

--jared

striblue
01-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Jared... I would be glad to help you out in Willmington at a beginners booth if you need it... I could spell you or work one of the days. just let me know.

doogue
01-20-2002, 06:43 PM
Well,

What a great weekend. As always, I was impressed with every aspect of the Forum's activity.

Highlights for me (in some sort of mixed up chronological order): I really enjoyed tying the Rat's Ass with Harry Koons. That fly seems like a real winner and - of course - Harry's humor and advice were also first rate. Watching Todd Murphy tie one of his favorite flatwing patterns was a true learning experience for me. He painstakingly taught every person in his tying session the tips and tricks for producing six sigma flies. Todd has a true talent for teaching and his generosity is outstanding. I also had the chance to talk to Todd and Kenny Abrames over at their booth. Mr. Abrames is such a funny guy. I shudder to think how much my abdominal muscles would hurt after a weekend fishing with Pete Gray and Kenny Abrames. Two hilarious fishermen...

I finally learned a tried and true sand eel pattern from Art Sawayer. It is always great to talk to Art and this time around our encounter was especially sweet because he was the teacher as by brother tied his first fly. Brotherman - wasn't that easy? Rewarding too.

JeffB - always a pleasure. I cannot wait to see you fish your new Kermit fly. Calling all cows, calling all cows!

And then the various interaction with everyone from the crew. It is always an honor to be surrounded by Juro, Roop, President Morin, Pete, Gregg Estey, FredA, Tod Dillon, Brian Casey, Lefty, GregD and Brandon, Jim Whalen and company. I also had the pleasure of tying some flies with the entire Delisle family - what a great group! It was a pleasure to meet up with Dave Fix and his wife Joan. Dave has shared some great advice with me over the past few months and it was great to catch up with him face to face - if but briefly.

And to my new friends - John Desjardins, Broadbill, Eddie and Sprocket and all the others - I hope to see you on the water come the Spring. The same is true for Don Osmer and some of the other guys that I bumped into only a handful of times last summer.

I am looking forward to tying up some of the patterns that I learned this weekend. Throughout the week I plan to practive tying some flatwings. Thay may be a new go to fly for me.

Spring is rumbling closer every day.

Soon we can test the fruits of our tying efforts in the offseason.

-Mike

DennisS
01-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Many thanks to Todd Murphy and Juro for the excellent tying instructions this afternoon. The deep eel and flatwing patterns will now have a permanent home in my fly box. Look forward to seeing you all on the water this spring....
Penguin, I am looking forward to those aerials............

jborkowski
01-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Just returned from a great couple of days in Marlboro...or is it Marlborough?

Anyway, lots of great stuff to buy.

Speaking of which, can anyone spot me a few $$$ for food. Bread. Water. Beans...whatever...

John Desjardins
01-20-2002, 09:19 PM
It was great to meet people today and put faces to names. And after looking at the pictures I have to make it to a clave.

MarkDoogue
01-20-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks to Juro for dedicating so much of his free time to something we all derive so much joy and information from.

As always, it was great to spend some time with Pete and Roop. Between those two, my little Bro' and my father I'm destined to evolve into a decent fly fisherman. Mr. Borkowski, anyone who relishes the hunt and purchase of new gear is okay in my book. I'll buy you all the beans and rice you want, but just think, come the warmer months you can use your new gear to catch required sustenance. Besides, everyone goes on a diet after the holidays, anyway. Spending all your money on cool items is like a modified Atkins diet. You are actually doing your waistline a favor by shifting your resources from food(so overrated) to hackle and synthetics.

I also really enjoyed my first fly tying experience. Under the casual, but truly dedicated tutelage of Art Sawyer how could I go wrong? It was nice to spend some time with him and get a feel for the art of fly tying(wow, no pun intended, I promise. How embarrassing!).

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet more of the membership. I'll have to make a point of attending as many claves as possible this year to ID everyone.

Thanks again everyone.

~Mark Doogue

jborkowski
01-20-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey Mark...

You saying I'm fat??!:tsk_tsk:

MarkDoogue
01-20-2002, 11:50 PM
Actually, I'm the one on a diet.:hehe:

Besides, it would have been much easier to type, "Hey Jeff, you're fat."

According to my % of body fat I could barely put down the donuts long enough to cast a barb in anyone else's direction.

~Mark

FishHawk
01-21-2002, 06:23 AM
Had a great time at the show Saturday. Was fun to share the flytying spotlight wit the Penguin. Great to see Roop, Juro
Old Doogue and striblue. :smokin: FishHawk

FredA
01-21-2002, 07:59 AM
It was great to see everyone at the show. It was a bit crowded and, has these things tend to go, there was a bit of sensory overload. Highlights:

Tying an Angel Hair fly with Ray

Alan Coala's presentation (Why was I under the impression that he advocated using fast sinking lines on the flats?)

Watching Enrico Puglishi (sp?) tye (wow, nothin hard about that)

Encounters:

Jim and Mike Doogue, Todd Dillon, Jim Whalen, etc.

Much too brief encounter's:
Brian Casey, Dave Fix and the Mrs's, Art B., Fishhawk, etc.

Close encounters of the third kind:
Pete Grey (thanks for the rod, hope to flip a burgur or two for you this summer)

Congrats to Juro, Roop, John, Hawkeye, et.al for a great job with the booth.

Roop
01-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help & support. :D

A special thanks to the pro's & near pro's for their tying sessions, the FFF members for volunteering their time to enhance the community and all the people we met who will hopefully be joining us.

Nice to put names with the faces.

Now I've got to actually do some tying...

jared
01-21-2002, 11:09 AM
John --

thanks for the offer....best thing would be to check with
Rick Southgate at the next UFT meeting...he is the keeper
of the volunteer sign-up list for our shows....

Be forewarned.....you'll be tying lots of brown hackle
peacocks or wooly buggers!!!

--jared

Sprocket
01-21-2002, 12:01 PM
Gentlmen - what a thrill it was to be in the presence of so many "World famous on the BB" folks.

From Juro to Mr. Prez to Todd M and so on.

I had an absolute blast and wish I spent more time hanging around but alas - I needed to work the club's booth as well as stimulating our economy.

Mr. President I did not equal my first day's total in the following 2 days but did manage to almost clear my list. I will have you know that Herself spent quite a bit on Sat. I'll be helping organize the ever growing materials collection! (one for you, one for me, two for you, one-two for me...)

JeffR: If I photograph any of my bench creations, I'll turn them around so you can recognize them...

JeffB: Any time you want to hook up and compare notes, feel free to contact me - I'm over in Waltham and can shoot over to the People's Republic any time.

Lorraine sends her thanks to Capt. Gill for the lesson & Juro for the tools ;) She's got her own vise now and is ready to tie up a storm! She and I will be in Reading for her next step - chuck&duck lessons!

Kudos & much thanks to all involved - see you in Reading, Wilmington and the beaches!

juro
01-22-2002, 08:22 AM
(You're a lucky guy Sprocket!)

In case I forget I wanted to make a special mention of our club GQ angler, Nick Svencer who could not make it. He not only provided those indestructible boxes we put our logos onto but drove down to meet me despite his hectic work schedule to make sure we had them for the show. Besides we flashed his mug on the big screen several hundred times and I don't want him to ask me for royalties :hehe:

There is so much credit to be given - BobP Jr's generous donation of electronic clout and his awesome sold out tying lesson was key; the sticker work by Ian's dad Chris Delisle; the booth construction by Roop, Gregg (killer badges!), JimW and RichD; the cornucopia fly collection / tying lesson and booth support from striblue; the help of Jeff Borkowski in the clutch with the URL sign, killer panini sandwiches; Eddie Howells, Mike Doogue on booth support, etc, etc, etc...

Another shining example of the Forum guys pulling together to get something awesome done! Now time to get the west coast gang ready for the next fly show :devil:

GregD
01-22-2002, 09:54 AM
It was a great show, the best I have attended. That frankly is mostly due to the Flyfishing forums booth and it's members. I thoroughly enjoyed the flytying lessons, I wish I could have sat in on every one. I and Brandon were able to tie a Rat's Ass with Harry Koons and I a large flash fly with Rich Soriano. I did get to see some of the other guest tyers like John Morin, Bob Pink, Gil Berke, Todd Murphy and Juro teach a bunch of great patterns. It was also great to see alot of first time tyers get initiated to the art of flytying in our booth. What great flyboxes for the class participants too.

I thought the booth was very well done, It was addorned by the stunning collection of Flies tied by John Morin, photos from Tony S, and busy with people tying flys more than half the time. I thought the live video of the current fly tying lesson or slide show flashing pictures on the centered backdrop was great. Scenes of members and their catch or beautiful scenes we encounter fishing in between classes added to the excitement. Great work on the design and fabrication of the booth, including the rollup projection screen using a wide window shade I think. Good job guys!

Great to finally meet and speak with some members like Art Burton, who has shared so much knowledge. Seeing his great handy work on his newly made 10ft 8wt rod was inspiring, It turned out sweet. I enjoyed his pictures and navigational advice for watch hill reefs too.

Wish I was able to speak more with other members I saw, But between tyin flies or listening/watching, shopping and seeing a couple presentations time flew. Some I haven't seen since my last clave outing. Can't wait till spring clave!

I found out in a hurry it's Not a good idea to just leave fly tying feathers, saddles, hackles of bird feathers in a bag within reach of a Golden Retriever. By the time I walked ten steps from the door the bag was being taken apart for the bird he smelled hiding in there.

Thanks to all who made this booth possible. The fly tying lessons and fly boxes were a hit, The guest tyers and patterns taught all where great, Special thanks to Juro for his dedication and establishing the Flyfishing Forum, Looking forward to next years show and spring coming soon!

Greg.

juro
01-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks Greg!

Let me also say thanks to you for your help over all three days despite having young kids to care for and your hands full. It's always such a re-charge to my batteries to see the youth and enthusiasm of Brandon whom we must groom for an executive position with the Forum after his business education at Harvard :)

Maybe then we can operate in a surplus from year to year! :rolleyes:

Special thanks for that Grolsch ale after the show, I savored it as I wound down from the show's excitement.

Bill
01-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Thank you, Juro, Jeff, and everyone else who worked so hard to make the Forum's booth such a great experience. The set-up with the video camera and projector (showing close-ups of tying), the tables for "hand-on" tying, the slides of Forum members, the cool fly boxes - outstanding.

Combine that with the extraordinary group of old and new Forum members who are so generous in sharing their expertise, and this booth was hands down the best at the show!

Thank you.

Penguin
01-22-2002, 02:05 PM
The FFF booth made the show feel a bit like "Cheers"...a great place to go where everyone knows your name!...
The positive "vibrations" were AMAZING and I suspect it all rubbed off on eveyone who stopped by for a look see.
The tying sessions were a hoot and the enthusiasm was contageous. Good instructors are worth their weight in crabmeat!
It was nice to go to the show...but having a "focus" with friends made it even better...
The "daze" are getting longer and the Spring Clave is almost a dot on the horizon...'Can't wait!
This was a real KEEPER!!!

Nick
01-22-2002, 04:09 PM
Juro,
Man am I bummed I missed it. Glad to hear that the boxes worked out well. I can't wait to see the pics. Looking forward to the casting clave. Hopefully I'll be around for it.

Nick

JimW
01-22-2002, 05:43 PM
The show was great. It was good to see everyone and tie some flies. I learned some great techniques for handling the angel hair material from Ray. The AV setup was very impressive, both the slide shows and the super zoom view of those demonstrating their tying. I wish I could have seen all the fly tying demonstrations. My thanks to everyone that made it happen, especially those who gave up their time at the show.

Hawkeye
01-22-2002, 09:56 PM
The show was just as fun as any clave I have been on minus the outdoor cooking and the fishing and that is saying a lot. As usual I learned a lot and got in some real good belly laughs.

The invitation was clear - Come join us and share what you know, learn what you don't, and meet some of the best fishing partners you've ever had. From the responses I experienced and heard about I think we can all expect to get to know some new people over the next season.

Congrats and thanks to all who helped and participated. We didn't just have a booth, we had a zone of flyfishing spirit and style.

Eddie
01-23-2002, 12:16 AM
It was good to meet(put faces to names) so many of you at the show. See you soon. Eddie