MONSTER Coho-30.5 #'s [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MONSTER Coho-30.5 #'s

NrthFrk16
10-23-2001, 05:53 PM
This massive coho was caught in the hatchery trap on the NF Clackamas River in Oregon. It weighed 30.5 pounds.

Picture courtsey of Steve Hanson ( reeltruth1@aol.com )

http://students.washington.edu/rpetzold/monstercoho.jpg

We knew the fish would be big this but this big??? Holy Cow!!! A good freind of mine caught on 21.5 out of the Snohomish a couple weeks ago and Ive heard of a few coho being caught on the OP that have gone over 30. One of which was a hatchery fish. Rumor has it that the Indians netted a 28 pound hatchery coho on the Dungeness.

Ohhhh to catch one of these monsters on the bugrod in the river. Could you even land it if you hooked up???

I cant wait for those Satsop fish show. I might have to get down there with some big lead eye rabbit leaches... :)

juro
10-23-2001, 06:06 PM
Can you imagine that thing chrome bright and streamlined before hormones took over out in the pacific?

Satsop: Float it, work the confluence pool hard.

roballen
10-23-2001, 07:27 PM
seem to lots of big coho this year a friend of mine got a 41 incher out on the penninsula. probably a state record but he had a member of the Hoh tribe smike it for him ,It was missing a fin :O)

NrthFrk16
10-24-2001, 01:50 AM
Rob, I would have loved to have seen a picture of that fish.

Anyways, unlike the 30.5 this was sport caught (not on the fly though), nickle bright with sea lice and a hatcery fish as well. They keep on coming.

Photo Courtsey of Bob Ball ( rlball@olypen.net ), www.piscatorialpursuits.com

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/boardpix/tubsilver.jpg

andre
10-24-2001, 11:11 AM
I'm leaving this office early today no ifs and or butts

juro
10-24-2001, 11:26 AM
I'm gonna need a 12wt afterall! :o

roballen
10-24-2001, 11:42 AM
hmmm i wonder if the Washougal is blown right now??? ok rounding up my bright stuff gonna go take a look fresh coho sounds good for dinner.
if it's hatchery bonk it on the head
Rob

juro
10-24-2001, 12:23 PM
They're probably milling around and jumping in that lower basin down by the mouth if it isn't blown out. That seems like quite the spot for freshly arriving silvers, although I was there in early summer and there were bright steelhead upriver.