sport fish list [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: sport fish list

sean
01-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Ok I am finally getting some time to put together an online fly pattern archive and looking for feedback.

I want the flies to be searchable by fish species but only to an extent. Cannot very well name every species in the world as that is a long list. So I have been looking around the web for one to borrow :hehe: and came up with this list:

Albacore Tuna
American Shad
Arctic Char
Arctic Grayling
Atlantic Bonito
Atlantic Mackeral
Atlantic Salmon
Barracuda
Black Crappie
Black Skipjack
Black Snook
Blackfin Tuna
Blue Catfish
Blue Marlin
Blue Shark
Bluefin Trevally
Bluefin Tuna
Bluefish
Bluegill
Bonefish
Bonito Shark
Brook Trout
Brown Trout
California Halibut
Cero Mackerel
Chain Pickerel
Channel Catfish
Chinook Salmon
Chum Salmon
Cobia
Coho Salmon
Common Snook
Crevalle
Cutthroat Trout
Dolly Varden
Dolphin
Dolphinfish
Dorado
European Bass
Fat Snook
Fin-Nor
Flathead Catfish
Freshwater Stripers
Golden Trout
Great Barracuda
Greater Amberjack
Hybrid Stripers
Jack Crevalle
Kawakawa
King Mackeral
Lake Trout
Landlocked Salmon
Largemouth Bass
Leaping Shark
Lesser Tuna
Little Tunny
Longear Sunfish
Mackerel Shark
Mai Mai
Mako Shark
Mexican Barracuda
Muskellunge
Northern Pike
Pacific Barracuda
Pacific Bonito
Pacific Jack
Paific Halibut
Papermouth Snook
Permit
Porbeagle Shark
Pumpkinseed Sunfish
Rainbow Trout
Red Drum
Redbreast Sunfish
Rock Bass
Roosterfish
Sailfish
Seatrout
Shortfin Mako
Sierra Mackeral
Skipjack Tuna
Smallmouth Bass
Snook
Sockeye Salmon
Spanish Mackerel
Spotted Bass
Spotted Seatrout
Steelhead Trout
Striped Bass
Striped Bonito
Striped Marlin
Tarpon
Tautog
Wahoo
Walleye
Weakfish
White Bass
White Catfish
White Crappie
White Marlin
White Perch
Winter Flounder
Yellow Perch
Yellowfin Tuna
Yellowtail

Still kinda long but since it is alphabetical is is pretty easy to navigate.

So let me know what you think. Anything really obvious missing or should not be there.

Thanks for taking a look.

-sean

Willie Gunn
01-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Sean,
Seatrout ? Relation of brown trout ? which goes to sea to feed. Returns to rivers to breed.

Malcolm

sean
01-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks. Not sure how that did not make it on the list...

Just added it in.

-sean

Adrian
01-17-2002, 05:46 PM
Sean, great idea!

I would maybe add European Bass (Dicentrarchus Labrax).

Also, is there a way of having a cross reference since many "generic" patterns will work for many species - e.g. Clouser, Deceiver etc?

Another thought may be to classify by food item/prey e.g. Baitfish - Sandeel, Herring, Shrimp..
Flies: Terrestrials, Day Flies etc
Worms, Clams

Just some thoughts. ;)

sean
01-17-2002, 06:04 PM
There will be a lot to cross reference. I figure to have these fields:

pattern type (ie streamer, dry, etc)

imtation type like you note below

location ( ie northeastern US , northwestern US, soutwest US, etc.) Will be on a worldwide basis.

fish species (you can chose more than one if you like when you enter the pattern)

You will be able to combine any of the above as well as do keyword searches on the tying sequence section and pattern comment section.

We will have the most versatile pattern index on the web(or at least that is what I am shooting for).

-sean

juro
01-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Just say no to carp :devil:

Great idea Sean, can't tell you how great it is to have you on board.

sean
01-17-2002, 07:13 PM
I probably can take off the Halibut huh...but if someone has caught one on the fly I would love to hear about it. Same goes for catfish.

-sean

pmflyfisher
01-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Need Carp

Don't see Suckers (lots of different types of those) can be caught on flies, done it a number of times back east and in mid west.

Some odd names what is a Quantam Iron IR3W?

More than enough on this list for any mortal

striblue
01-17-2002, 08:47 PM
Sean... I will check the list to the IGFA Book which ,in the back, is suppose to have every Game fish both fresh and salt everywhere. The list with descriptions takes up about 1/3 of the book.

striblue
01-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Well... I think it may be to long for me to type out... the list has 188 names.. Just as an example there are 3 types of Crevalle. 4 Marlin, etc. I still may type it out ,but not now

juro
01-17-2002, 11:05 PM
Patterns apply to groups of species, for instance rainbow, brook, brown and cutthroat (FW) trout as a group, in other words they don't really have different patterns associated with each species. Instead they have different classes themselves: terrestrials, midges, nymphs, etc.

Ocean cutts introduce a whole new approach, which shares many similarities with seatrout sought while still in the atlantic ocean. Once they enter the river another approach is used, becoming more similar to atlantic salmon and steelhead at that point.

Salmon and steelhead flies differ only in their traditions, they work great for each other in practice. Their classification is strongly influenced by origin and history, but the flies are interchangeable.

And then there's northeast saltwater, where the patterns tend to be more appropriately classified by the forage being imitated than the gamefish species. I classify my flies by sand eel, squid, herring, bunker, mackerel, crab, etc. These in turn apply to stripers, blues, small tuna, etc.

But in the equatorial regions a bonefish fly is a bonefish fly, and a tarpon fly is a tarpon fly. Even if it catches a snook, a barracuda or even a permit. Straight forward.

And so on and so forth... this is an interesting challenge and I am sure you will come up with something very valuable Sean!

ChucknDuck
01-18-2002, 01:42 AM
Sean,
Don't take halibut off the list...I've seen it done in Cook Inlet and out of Dutch Harbor, AK in shallow water and at slack tides with articulated x-cut bunny, palmered around 4-5 inch heavy brass cotter pins and appropiate sized saltwater hooks tied in with dacron. I've used a similar setup for sturgeon in tidewater sections of SW WA rivers (when the smelt are running, white x-cut is the ticket) There's not a big group of fishers who go after sturgeon in this method, but when they are in the rivers in good numbers it is possible to have multiple fish hook ups on the slack tides.

Should add surf perch ...see Shewey's article in NW Flyfishing Spring 2001 issue. Lingcod, black rockfish, greenling...all species that are accessible by jetty fishermen are popular at certain times of the year. Just some suggestions. Definately not glamour fish, but we do chase them around when nothing else is happening. Standard beach fare usually works...c charlies etc...

Juro,

I like your stance on Carp. I've passed up several opportunities for free guided trips targeting those overgrown goldfish...I don't care how good they fight. When you get them in they still are CARP!!! :eyecrazy: :razz:

sean
01-18-2002, 02:03 AM
OK I will leave up halibut but you have to promise to post the halibut fly once the archives are up. I have to see it to bleieve it :whoa:

-sean

ChucknDuck
01-18-2002, 02:27 AM
Sean,
Not a problem, I'll put the new digital camera to good use this weekend and e-mail you a pic (my photoediting skills may be a bit suspect). Actually, the Grand Aluetian in Dutch Harbor brought up some of my friends who like to chase wierd stuff with bugs when they were entertaining the idea of starting up a guided service for fly caught halibut. Decided that the currents were too tricky and slack periods too short after trying it out for a week to actually market the idea to prospective paying clientele.

Actually, the concept is nothing more than a standard bottomfish jig. Get it down and impart action (same goes for the sturgeon) Something will gobble it up. I've always thought that it would be an easy task in more protected waters around Kodiak or SE AK waters when the fish are in shallow. I've caught them on conventional gear in less than twenty feet around Kodiak, Prince William Sound and out the Alaska Pen. Never had the right "stick" to dare try it however. The 7 wt. I carry in AK in the summer might be a tad light for flats!

NrthFrk16
01-18-2002, 02:28 AM
Just say no to Carp??? :mad: :mad:

You need to species on that list-steelhead and carp!! ;)

I am actually still laughing about you what said Juro...you totally ruined my future in carp fishing for me. "When you hold it up for a picture...it is a freakin' carp!!" That makes me smile every time I think about that

Doublespey
01-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Hey Y'all - quit bashing my favorite Green Lake sportfish!! :hehe:

In fact, we had a noteworthy local angling writer do a presentation recently on the "Freshwater Bonefish" - turns out there's quite a fishery for them over in Banks Lake year round and they get BiG - over 20lbs!!! And of course who could forget Dave Whitlock and the Golden Ghost??

The presenter (some of you probably know Bill Marts from Blue Dun Fly Shop?) did his program with a smile and was tolerant of our snickering everytime he displayed a pic of another grotesquely large carp. No matter how well they fight, you still have to look that carp in the eye when you unhook it.

Carp - the mere thought of them makes me want to go Chum fishing (as far down the ladder as I'm willing to drop) <g>

ChucknDuck
01-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Sean,
I'm still trying to figure out how to take a closeup of the halibut fly (better thnk up a catchy name for it) with the digital cam. without washing everything out...I'm working on it!! Exteme closeups seem to be a problem.
Dan

MCorder
09-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Hank Pennington of Kodiak Alaska has published several Halibut fly's. I just searched the Alaska Fly Fishers page and can't find it. I'll email them and see if they can send me a picture.

http://www.akflyfishers.org/index.html

Check it out, a great source of Alaska fly patterns.
:)

dewey
09-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Hey - the great thing about carp fishing is you can practice in your goldfish bowl at home. I am now working on a fish-food flake fly pattern. Andy suggestions there?

aknightinak
09-19-2002, 01:14 AM
I don't see pink salmon. Why anyone'd want to target them I dunno. Dime-bright hens are pretty good smoked, and as thick as the runs are, it's a good way to get kids into catching fish.

MCorder
09-19-2002, 10:48 AM
I like the pinks because, well, there fun. I never kept them, but in the salt the readly take a green clouser or schrimp pattern. If your just looking to catch a good fighting fish (exspecialy on light tackle) pinks are on the top of my list!:)

aknightinak
09-19-2002, 11:31 PM
Indeed. Anything you catch is fun. Most times I'm getting pinks after they've entered the creek and then more often after they've been milling about in the creek for a few days. Since they're not so picky about the amount of salt in the water, they get gnarly pretty quick, and when you're trying to lace up silvers that aren't going to hang around long but keep hooking pinks instead...that's a bit frustrating. That said, I've already said, fresh in from the salt they're tasty, and no vote here to keep them off the list...just not my fish of choice. Get em on the list :D ; they're a great catchin fish.