Bite Wire [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bite Wire

DFix
01-15-2002, 02:04 PM
Remember not too long ago, when Greg said he'd found some flexible, coated stainless wire at the craft store??? well, it's been driving me absolutely snapsh :tsk_tsk: t trying to find any reasonably priced, measurable volume of it UNTIL NOW !!!

Go take a look at www.firemountaingems.com :smokin:

Lefty
01-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Grego and I went to a craft store off of Middlesex Turnpike in Burlington and cleaned out the last 4 rolls last fall. I gave a roll to Juro for field testing, but he probably just threw it into the big pile of gear he already has!!:chuckle:
Why do you ask Dave? Pike? :eyecrazy:

striblue
01-15-2002, 08:16 PM
If you need to find something.. enlist Dave Fix... I still have a small role Grego gave me... But I will check out the hugh craft store in Arlington center... before Lefty gets there and cleans that place out.

DennisS
01-16-2002, 09:30 PM
For wire to leader and wire to fly connections, what do you recommend for knots?
DennisS

juro
01-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Lefty -

I put that in my truck, so it's at least confined to an area smaller than my garage (phew). Believe me I will find it when I least need it and search to high heaven when a slammer blue blitz erupts before me - as usual :rolleyes:

For joining to mono, use a surgeon's knot. (nice picture BTW)

marvin
01-21-2002, 01:47 PM
FWIW, my Cabelas catalogue provides the following info for Surflon, which ought to help when shopping for wire at crafts stores...

Test: Dia:
13-- 0.013
20-- 0.015
26-- 0.018
40-- 0.024
65-- 0.030

Roop
01-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Dennis - beautiful shot!

I like an Albright with a lock, I've used that for fluoro to mono this past season as well and didn't have any failures.

jared
01-21-2002, 06:36 PM
Dennis --

Have always used a simple figure-8 knot from
wire to fly....and then a surgeon's loop to loop
wire to leader.

But last season I used some of the small wire
leaders from the "blue water" guys and found
those to work fine (with the snap on one end,
there's one less fly to tie in the annoyed state
of "....shoot!! blues and bass mixed and I keep
getting cut off!!!).