alternatives to boot foot waders? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: alternatives to boot foot waders?

loco_alto
01-14-2002, 11:11 PM
I get cold feet when winter wading. really cold. numb. So far insulated bootfoot neoprenes are the only thing I've tried that will keep my feet warm. My goretex waders (with neoprene booties) and wading boots simply do not cut it, even with good dry smartwool socks and reasonably loose fitting boots. My feet become ice. Extra insulation is necessary.

My bootfoots are dying, and I'm considering a pair of super oversized boots (to wear with the Goretex waders), big enough to easily accomodate a second pair of socks or extra neoprene booties, yet still fit loosely.

Question is, will an extra big boot approach even come close to the warmth that my bootfoots provide?

thanks in advance, Steve

NrthFrk16
01-14-2002, 11:20 PM
I was always plagued with cold numb painful feet until I bought a pair of oversize boots. I have relatively small feet as my shoe size is 9. Back in June I bought a pair size 11 boots.

It makes a huge differance. I wear my size 11 boots, ExStream Smart Wool Socks by Simms and I have yet to get cold feet this Winter. A first, for sure! And if that doesn't work look for a product called Goat Feet (knee high oversized fleece socks) and Simms used to make a pair of oversized fleece socks. Either of these items can be worn over the SmartWool socks and will guarantee warmth.

inland
01-15-2002, 01:42 AM
Steve,

See if you can find a pair of "vapor-barrier" neoprene socks offered by Gator or Seirus. They are 1MM neoprene lined with fleece. I would also recommend using a lightweight polypro wicking sock under these to help move the moisture but keep it contained within the neoprene booty.

This quote is from a friend that swears by this method, "If used properly, these socks will protect the warm moist layer around your skin and maintain optimal humidity on its surface. This in turn reduces your insensible perspiration by as much as 85% and thus stops all evaporative heat loss." In water colder than 40, he suggests wearing a pair of smartwool over the neoprene socks and you should be set.

Yes, you will need enough room to fit all of this without restriction or your feet will ice cube up.

William

Nate Bailey
01-15-2002, 04:17 AM
I have a friend that tryed thoes battery socks I thought it was a good Idea until he forgot to get new batteries and froze so bad because he wasnt acculmated, shoot isnt numb feet part of the experance...nate;)

pmflyfisher
01-15-2002, 06:13 AM
Agree numb feet are part of the steelhead experience.

fredaevans
01-15-2002, 06:15 AM
Steve, as you know I ware summer weight breathables year round. But I always have on boots 2-3 sizes larger for the extra sock materials necessary. The layering is what makes it work for me. Just cotton gym socks in the summer, then to a wool-200 thinsulate sock (these are the cats meow), then to a 'gortex type' over sock.
Trick is not so much a ton of sock(s) but the 'stacking' order. AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES can your feet/toes be jamed into the boot. If they are, don't even bother to get out of the car.

Your dead meat.

inland
01-15-2002, 09:34 AM
There are numb feet, and then there are frozen feet. The kind of pain that forces you out of the river after 45 minutes to spend the next 6 hours waiting for the cold to finally go away. Not too smart to fish very long with your feet in this condition!

William

loco_alto
01-15-2002, 07:56 PM
If numb feet are part of your experience, then I have to ask -- have you ever used a pair of insulated bootfoot neoprene waders? It could change your life...

Not too encouraging answers here, thinking I'll stay right where I am and glue on some spiked felts next time around..

fredaevans
01-15-2002, 09:34 PM
solution is/are "Stream Cleats.' Come to fit up to a size 13 tubby boot and they will glue you to the bottom. At $50 bucks the cheapest life insurance policy you can buy.
fe