Juro/Main Web Man... Fire wall 'attack?' [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Juro/Main Web Man... Fire wall 'attack?'

fredaevans
01-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Gotta ask: Use McAffee vir and "firewall" on my home machine. Click in and McAfee gives me a "firewall" (port scan) attack notice. How come?

juro
01-16-2002, 02:23 PM
Oops somehow I missed this post... I am no expert on firewalls, in fact I need to get one up real bad (in the process of doing so). I assume someone is trying to find a way into your computer... do you leave it on all the time?

I will ask some of my IT buddies but I also suspect people like Ssully or JimW could answer your question better than I...

fredaevans
01-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Juro, I go through AOL (or the Bank's system like now) to get on line. With the McAffee FW program you can set the sensitivity level to allow 'anything,' filter (which allows cookies and the like, but nothing huge) or 'stop all.' I run the 'filter' one as the 'stop all' really stops everything! The program also has a monitoring screen so you can see what's going on and whether the program is 'tolerating' the stuff coming back into your computer. Above a certain level and it shuts 'it' down/off ("firewall-port scan attack")

But, what prompted my question is the only time I get the Aooga!, Aooga! message is when I'm on the board. Not Dana's etc. It may be something as simple as the advertising that pop's up but don't know.
fe

John Desjardins
01-16-2002, 04:05 PM
I find that the alerts (Zonealarm Pro) that I get when on the forum are mostly to the TCP port. They are incosistent and I get only a fraction of the number at home that I get at work. My feeling has been that it is not associated to the board.

Heck I just got on as I was typing this message
"The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (TCP Port 8080) from 62.179.134.32 (TCP Port 3364) [TCP Flags: S].Time: 1/16/2002 3:56:42 PM "

JimW
01-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Isn't it amazing how much sniffing goes on. I'm far from an expert and I don't use the mcafee firewall but I do know that the hits you are taking are not generated by the forum.
Normally the software firewalls will display alerts for every little thing unless you configure them otherwise. You'll see a message like the one above referencing a port, think of a port as a door into or out of you computer. One scenario is that hackers run programs that scan for open ports that they may be able to use to access you computer or make themselves more difficult to track when they launch an attack against another computer. Another is someone who just scans for email servers so that they can spam the world with some annoying email. A good virus scanner and some form of firewall (hardware is always better) will go a long way toward protecting your computer but keep in mind that there's always someone out there thinking up new ways around know defenses. Keep your virus definitions current.

fredaevans
01-16-2002, 06:40 PM
from an "adult web site?" Just checking, just checking.:devil:

John Desjardins
01-16-2002, 10:13 PM
Gee'z Fred, low blow.:razz::razz:

Jim, good advice its what I try to follow. I didn't think I neded a fire wall until after I had one for a month compared the log to the time online and figured that I got about 10 hits a day on a dialup account. Most were innocuous, but some really made me wonder. :confused:

fredaevans
01-16-2002, 10:37 PM
That was 'low, slow and completly missed the inside corner of the plate'.:(

Showed a lack of class on my part.
fe

John Desjardins
01-16-2002, 10:56 PM
No problem Fred.