Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike fly swap?

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
I happened to be home from work yesterday (passed a kidney stone during the past couple of days) and my spirits were picked up when I caught an episode of John Barrett's "Flyfishing the World" on ESPN. He and a partner were catching monster pike on 8 weight outfits in the Yukon Territories. These fish were caught in three feet of crystal clear water and the strikes made me sit upright in amazement. Even in slow motion, the pike hit with a blinding speed that would rival a bluefish. I've caught some pike in my day, but nothing like the 32"-38" behemoths that were being pulled from these remote waters. And they were atypically fat for their species.

This has lit a fire for me. I plan to start tying up some pike flies so that I'll be armed for the spring when I chase pike locally. How many days to go?........

Would anyone be interested in a pike fly swap? The recent warmwater swap seems geared towards bass, and pike flies are usually on a much larger scale. I don't know what the interest would be, but I'd be willing to be the meister if there are enough on board.

Please respond in kind if you're interested. Thanks.

#4 ·
They say (whomever "they" is, probably a bunch of lying geezer fishermen)that the Concord river has BIG pike. I'm talking long as your leg. You need a small boat though to zip around, the access is very limited by shore. You would have to really study up on them in this particular river and target them.

Lefty

#6 ·
Lefty said:
They say (whomever "they" is, probably a bunch of lying geezer fishermen)that the Concord river has BIG pike. I'm talking long as your leg. You need a small boat though to zip around, the access is very limited by shore. You would have to really study up on them in this particular river and target them.

Lefty
I've heard similar comments on the Concord river. But I've never given it a try due to the access question. Does the marina in Concord rent boats?
Another location is the Charles river near the Waltham/Weston line. I have seen, and suffered "Buck Fever" trying to catch, pickerel in this area that are over 30".

#7 ·
Roop- Okay, twist my arm. :devil: I've been doing some serious research on the tribs of the CT River (as John alluded to) and am gearing up to get familiar with the area. I would gladly take any of you to chase some pike. I hope to make it to the show on Saturday or Sunday. If I'm there, we can talk about this some more.

Glad to see some interest in this. I'll leave it open until the 21st, then send out my mailing info. If nobody objects, I'll set the due date for the flies at the very end of February. This way the flies will be sent out and delivered to us all by early March, which is a time when many pike start to get really active again.

#8 ·
There is a boat ramp on the Concord in the vacinty of the Rte. 3 bridge in Billerica. Maybe a marina?
I've seen sizable outboards zipping up and down it. My 14' alum boat with it's 15hp might be just right. The bass fishing is supposed to be good too. Hmmmm.... never been piking before.

Lefty

#10 ·
Wasn't confused. The one you speak of is the boat house where one rents canoes, paddles around while your lady friend drags here toes in the lilly filled waters, twirling her white umbrella, while you recite verses of Thoreau and Emerson.
Down river in Billerica are the damn Bass fishermen. The ramp I was thinking of was off of rte. 4. But I heard of another one. I might take a ride out there tommorrow at lunch and look it over. Like I always say: the next best thing to fishing is talking about fishing.
I'd be willing to do it just for the bass. Any pike would be gravy.

Lefty

#11 ·
Mark, a pike fishing trip sounds interesting - never targetted them deliberately but used to catch a lot of jacks early season on reservoirs whilst nymphing for trout back in the UK. They were pretty keen on a size 10 gold ribbed hairs ear but I'm thinking that we would be targetting bigger quarry...:D

What sort of patterns are favorite in this part of the world (Central CT)?

Presumably baitfish representations - any specific species to immitate, realistic sizes etc?

I've also heard of and seen examples of life-size replicas of mice, frogs etc...

Count me in!

#12 ·
Adrian, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that pike flies that work elsewhere would be successful in our neck of the woods. Some of the more successful patterns are crossovers from saltwater: red and white seaducers, decievers, whistlers, etc. And then there's the Dahlberg series of flies, which are his diver series (rabbit strip diver, mega diver, diving bug). Some of these patterns are 6 to 7" long, tied on 3/0 hooks. And yes, frog and mouse patterns can be quite successful at the right time.

It seems that successful pike flies don't have to necessarily imitate anything specific in nature. Rather, they play upon the pike's predatory instincts by appearing to be weak and reacting to the predator's prescence. A vulnerable and easy meal.....usually something bright and flashy that stands out.

It's almost as much fun to talk about as it is to do. :smokin:

#15 ·
As of today, the following have signed up for the swap:

Myself
Roop
John
DFix
Adrian
FrenchCreek

Lefty- Although you jumped into the pike talk here, you never indicated if you wanted to be in the swap. Let me know if you're interested. I'll keep it open until Monday the 21st.

Since nobody has groaned about the end of February as a due date for the flies, lets keep it there. I'll give my mailing info next week.

#16 ·
Okay guys, it looks like as of today (Jan 21st) we have a good number for the swap:

Myself
Roop
John
Adrian
DFix
FrenchCreek

Six people minus one (don't need to send a fly to yourself) = 5 flies apiece.

1. Please send your flies in a container that can be used to return other swap flies to you.

2. Please include packing and sufficient return postage for the return of the swap flies.

3. Please include the recipe for your fly and any special notes you'd like to share.

4. Please indicate whether or not you would need help with imaging prior to putting the fly into the archive. If necessary, a picture can be taken and e-mailed to you to go along with your entry.

Thanks, and I'll send all of you my mailing address in short order.

#19 ·
Wow, Feb 1st tommorow, better get my skates on!

Someone said that pike like to eat crayfish. I recall seeing some casting lures which had a crayfish look to them and I have a pattern in mind which could be adapted.

Before I get carried away though, I thought I would ask - can anyone confirm Esox Lucius partiality to the crayfish?

#23 ·
Thanks Adrian, I look forward to seeing the flies. As for trying them out, I've been doing some pretty serious research on the pike fishing around here and can say that they come into the shallows and tributaries when the water temps are between 42-48 degrees. Since the temperature of the CT River is already a balmy :)) ) 39 degrees, I'd think that the fish could be moving in by early to mid March. I'm going to make some scouting trips with a buddy and see, and I'll keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.