Steelhead & Snoopy Rods [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Steelhead & Snoopy Rods

NrthFrk16
01-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Check it out...
The Snoopy Rod Classic (http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/riverreports.htm) :D

Pics courtsey of
Piscatorial Pursuits (http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com)

http://students.washington.edu/rpetzold/images/pic1.jpg

http://students.washington.edu/rpetzold/images/pic2.jpg

http://students.washington.edu/rpetzold/images/pic3.jpg

pmflyfisher
01-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Hard to believe this is possible, what we will do all of our high priced graphite rods ? Don't want my wife to see this for sure, or I will be in really big trouble for sure :whoa: :whoa:

ChucknDuck
01-08-2002, 09:40 PM
Hey, I've got one of those in the rafters in the garage! Very low mileage, owned by a little boy who only used it in fresh water. Very little wear on the drivetrain and gearbox. Sell to highest bidder!

John Desjardins
01-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Amazing to see something bigger than a sunfish caught with a snoopy rod & reel. :) My last experience with them had the reel falling apart, the handle disolving from bug repellent, and a very disapointed nephew.

MJC
01-09-2002, 12:35 AM
John You must have the economy model. I have one of these rods that goes back to about 1978. It just seems to keep on truckin. All I ever do to it is dump out the sand, add some new line, and put the next kids name on the rod shaft which they think is cool.

John Desjardins
01-09-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by MJC
John You must have the economy model. I have one of these rods that goes back to about 1978. It just seems to keep on truckin. All I ever do to it is dump out the sand, add some new line, and put the next kids name on the rod shaft which they think is cool.

I agree with you about the old zebco 202 based ones. The one my nephew had, a 2001 model bought by his dad, had the reel molded into the handle and the works of the reel kept popping out, with the line tangling. For fishing with kids I use a trigger spin reel on an ultralite ugly stick. Simple and nearly unbreakable.

MJC
01-09-2002, 09:32 AM
Now that you mention the old Zebco model I think that is what we have. You are also right on with the "Ugly Stick" and trigger spin reel, another tuff kid friendly combo.

Eugene
01-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Personally, I wouldn't use a joke technique to catch a magnificent fish like a steelhead, but to each his own.

It may be more appropriate to be concerned about the level of stress that the wild fish experienced due to the short pole and the crappy reel, compared to a normal C&R "experience".

KerryS
01-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Eugene,

I couldn't agree with you more.

KLS

ChucknDuck
01-09-2002, 03:57 PM
Ours was limited to use in age 14 and under stocked trout ponds.

Kev
01-09-2002, 04:00 PM
The fish was brought to the boat very quickly, snapped a pic and released without harm. The fish doesn't know what kind of rod you have in your hand when he/she takes the offereing, really, it's true. Ask one.
Loosen up fellas and have fun once in awhile. This was a great event, all the rods went to local kids.

Kev

Eugene
01-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Glad to hear it Kev, and congratulations on your charity work. When I read that whoever caught that fish had found out how slow the retrieve rate on the snoopy reel was, I had assumed that they meant that it took a longer time than normal to crank the fish in. My mistake.

Kev
01-09-2002, 04:52 PM
It's amazing how fast you can bring a fish to hand, when you have a great oarsman running the fish down. Again, a great day on the water and she swam away strong.

Kev

Doublespey
01-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Eugene & Kerry - my first thought was the same. I thought it was a drunken stunt by a bunch of ya-hoos. But I know Bob Ball and there's nobody more concerned for the health of wild steelhead than Bob. If he was part of this outing and Kev and the others are his friends, then the scene isn't as the pictures may have made it appear. nuff said

Ryan - we gotta be careful taking things outta context from one board to the next :D . Another mutual acquaintance of ours took some posts I and others made here jokingly about the animals we'd unintentionally hooked (snagging beaver and the like). Out of context, it sounded like we (flyfishermen) were a bunch of really cruel sadistic jerks. Some are :hehe: - but you get my drift.

Peace!

Brian

NrthFrk16
01-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Just to reiterate what Kev and Brian said, Bob as much about wild steelhead as anyone does and he has been threatened and had tires slashed and his rig crowbarred because of his strong support of wild steelhead release.

The Bogey was chosen as the river of choice during the first week of January due to the lack of wild fish returning to the Bogey during that that time period. The river is full of hatchery brats and no one wanted to intentionally catch a wild steelheard during the 'derby' and the fact that Kev caught one was a total fluke.

BTW-
Brian, those misunderstanding are going to happen when it can be very easy to take a certain incident or comment out of context when one can is not speaking face to face. Trust me, I have learned my lesson many many times when it comes to comments made (by myself) and how they are precieved (by others). I keep a shoehorn close by as I am always shoving my foot in my mouth when it comes not only to comments I have made on the Web but also in person.
:D

KerryS
01-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Doublespey,

I may be a bit hard on these boys. I believe they were just out to have a little fun. I still look at these pics and see juvenile behavior. Because one proclaims to be concerned about wild fish and maybe even with a quantity of deed to demonstrate their concern, (I am sure Bob and his friends have done much for our wild steelhead) this does not preclude one from performing obtuse activities.

One more thing. This hardly looks like fly fishing and I was under the impression this was a fly fishing site.

I will stop now. I am sure everyone here has had enough of my anal spewing.

kush
01-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Boy am I ever relieved to know that I'm part of such a totally PC board!

NrthFrk16
01-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Kerry,
I am going to keep my emotions out of this... ;) as I think it is for the better.

But I must ask, was Lee Wulff-who many consider the greatest flyfisherman and conservationist of our time-juvenille for fishing for amd promoting the use of Midge rods for Atlantic salmon?? Walt Johnson, of of the most respected steelheaders of the North Fork, is very well known for fishing down to, I believe a 4 weight for steelhead on the North Fork...does that make him juvenille??

I never considered either Wulff or Johnson juvenille for their practices and if they could beach a wild Atlantic salmon or wild Deer Creek steelhead in due time so there was no harm to the fish, I never had a problem with their practice. And in fact, I envy them for the remarable ability to due such.

What is the differance between Snoopy Rods and 3 and 4 weights for Atlantic salmon and steelhead?? One is caught on the fly and one is caught with bait...so the only differance is in the 'lure'. So does that make fishing with eggs or sandshrimp or Corkies wrong and fishing with a fly right??

I would hope not as we do not want to fall into the elitist label that has fallen on many a flyfisherman for their snobbish views.

And in regards to this being a flyfishing site, I must agree with you. Maybe it was not appropriate for me to post pictures from The Darkside but my intentions were good as I thought most of the readers of this board would get a chuckle out of it.

And when the discussion turns to the old fly vs. bait or strike indicator vs. swing etc. etc., I always admit that a little discussion is good plus it is fun but I reitterate that we must not take our peddy (sp?) differances too far. If we put as much effort into fighting for the preservation of our wild steelhead as we do the bitching and moaning and fighting amongst each other about one another's choice of gear and technique, the wild steelhead of the PNW would be much better off today.

KerryS
01-11-2002, 09:13 AM
I am far from politically correct. If we ever meet I think you will understand my sick sense of humor here. In the mean time I will just apologize for my above post.

Ryan,

Some of Lee Wulff's exploits were widely criticized by his contemporaries and still today some question his judgement on using light rods for Atlantic Salmon. I have seen pics of Lee catching an Atlantic on a reel alone, no rod. Quite a feat but, I think it was purely a publicity stunt and yes, maybe a little juvenile. My opinion. A celebrity or legend status does not make one immune to criticism nor does it automatically make that person's views or actions right. Please, don't get me wrong, Lee Wulff was a great fly fisherman and sportsman and possibly did more for fly fishing than any other individual. That does not mean I have to agree with everything he did or said.

One more thing Ryan. I never said anything about one form of fishing being better or worse than another. I merely mentioned that this was a fly fishing site ant that the form of fishing shown in the pics did not appear to be fly fishing.

I again apologize for my previous post and any misunderstanding I may have created. I don't want to get into a flame war here. I hope you understand that there can be a varity of views on any given subject.

KLS

Dana
01-11-2002, 11:50 PM
just to get back to the real issue here...do they make 'em in a Spey model?

fredaevans
01-12-2002, 06:25 AM
If not presently available in a short spey version (say 12.5-13 foot for a 5-6 wt line), perhaps we could get Kerry Burk. to do an American version and Bruce and Walker to turn out a competing 'english-euro' model. Unvailing at the Second Annual Spey Clave on the Sandy in May. Tooo Cool.

Vis a Vis the Spey Clave, Mark says everything is marching forward. Sites reserved, several major rod reps lined up, etc. Spend money with him at flyfishusa in Welches, Oregon.
fe

pmflyfisher
01-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Cute subect, but not for a long thread.

Other more technical fly fishing subjects to discuss.

My .02 cents

:eyecrazy:

kush
01-12-2002, 02:07 PM
I think I may have that "Snoop-Spey" rod! It is 2'6", Graphite II (built by Custom rod builder Wayne Hanson on an ice-fishing blank) it handles a 1wt Derek Brown Speydriver admirably (it is DEFINITELY an expert's rod/line combo as your technique must be absolutely "tight" to turn over that 40' front taper).

One of the great things about this rod is the number of comments I get while out on the river. It gets more than my 18' B&W and even the Loop Yellow! As well, I think it is a great tool for converting the "Dark Side", as I'm pretty certain that more than a few of the Snoopy-gear guys have gone and found their own ice fishing blanks and are now making metamorphisis to the
'"long-rod". Ryan I know you are constantly grappling with this fly/gear issue, fear not for if you can make the jump to the Snoop-Spey you are well ahead of the bulk of the spey boys - yikes, talk about elitism!

;

pmflyfisher
01-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Wow, Fred better consider this new option at the opposite end of the spey spectrum from the 18 footer you are about to committ to.

Can't imagine landing a steelhead on that with out having to chase them all over the place, which is a normal occurence also with the long rod.

Would have to see one of these in action.

:rolleyes:

fredaevans
01-13-2002, 06:59 AM
So I'm picturing myself/whomever walking down to the river with a 18 foot BandW in one hand and an 30" short spey in the other. I can anticipate the nature of the first question.
:smokin:

pmflyfisher
01-13-2002, 09:34 AM
That would be the ultimate spey set up for any conditions small streams and large rivers

AWESOME :smokin: :smokin:

kush
01-13-2002, 12:24 PM
Fred,

With an 18 footer in one hand and A 30" rod in the other you would not be walking - as you would already have tipped over!

fredaevans
01-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Think you may be on to something there! Couldn't blame it on the 4th double single.:devil: