Guatemala Fly Fishing Tournament [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Guatemala Fly Fishing Tournament

01-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Sailfish Guatemala and El Capitan Marina invite you to participate in Guatemala's First Annual Fly Fishing Tournament April 10-14. Guatemala has gained an international reputation for having the world's best sailfishing. Test your skill in teams of three, for information contact Scott at 1-800-638-7405.

01-08-2002, 01:22 PM
...'sounds like BassMasters on steroids...
There's nothing quite like heated competition (my tribe/team is "better" than your tribe/team) to bring out the darkside.
My .02

01-08-2002, 02:00 PM
It's a fun thing too! But when you have tournaments, there is competition.

Dble Haul
01-08-2002, 02:08 PM
I have to admit, tournament or no tournament, it's awfully nice to think about casting a fly to sailfish in a warm climate while I look at the snow outside....:rolleyes:

01-08-2002, 02:20 PM
And we average around 20-30 raises per day until April! in our warm climate here!!

01-08-2002, 07:05 PM
20-30 rises per day, hmm sounds interesting but thats during our prime michigan steelhead spring runs and my client US tax returns are due on 4/15. Have to pass this year. Heck I doubt if I could handle a sailfish anyway in all that warm weather and competition. :hehe: :hehe:

01-08-2002, 11:30 PM
I am already booked for a Bahamas trip in April but maybe next year? People who have been down there confirm that Guatemala is one of the most consistent sailfish fisheries for fly fishing.

01-09-2002, 07:14 AM
What are the flies & gear of choice down there for sails on the fly?

Not something I can swing this year, maybe for 2003 we can put together a South American tour: sails in Guatemala, tarpon in Belize, trout in Argentina... never come home!!

01-09-2002, 09:03 AM
Hmmm that sounds like an International Clave to me:D

01-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Welcome Pezvela, it's nice to have a representative from one of the world's greatest sailfish destinations in the world here on the forum.

I would really appreciate your participation because I want to visit your waters to indulge in the sailfish, such a great fly rod gamefish - as soon as possible. I'm also sure the mahi mahi are plentiful and there's nothing like fresh mahi on the grill with a margarita to sip on.

Ironically I've been reading about Guatemala and seeing more sport fishing shows on your sailfishing lately (ESPN, etc).

If you'd be willing to support us as a sponsor we'd be pleased to display your ad banner with a link to your site through 2002.

In any case, it's great to have you here! Welcome and please keep us informed with your reports and information about the fishery.

01-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Oh God..... When will I retire... when will I retire.... I hope at 55.. Sailfish on a fly... visting Adrian in Bermuda.. Key West.... Fishing every morning in the summer in Chatham... Steelhead.... trout in Montana.... please God let me live long enough.