Line Advice on a new model 7136-4 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Line Advice on a new model 7136-4

sinktip
01-04-2002, 03:08 PM
I will check in over at Dana's site as well but wondered if anybody (Skookum, JJ or ???) had advice on a line for the newer Sage model 7136.

This is for a friend whose wife gave him the rod for Christmas. The same wife that gave him a 9150-4 for his birthday. Forgive me if I sound a little envious but well, I am :)

fredaevans
01-04-2002, 03:34 PM
I've got both the "old" and "new" versions of this rod. The older rod works well with the 6-7-8 Windcutter but all the stripping is a pain in the butt. The new blank (green vs. brown) is noticably stiffer and this line is a little light for it.

The 'old' blank was a true 7wt rod, the new version is more suggestive of a light 8wt. Suggest a longer head such as the RIO accrtor, than the WC for better casting, less stripping, etc.

Rod is a dream to use for long periods and will handle very large fish. Biggest this fall was about a 25'ish # king; rod 'flat to the water' half the time, but still handled the fish.

sinktip
01-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Fred,

I'm a big fan of the Accelerator but in checking Simon's Rio line chart for this rod he doesn't list the Accelerator at all. I don't want to set my buddy up with the WC though so I am thinking of suggesting the 7/8 midspey but was waiting to see what some of the input was from non-Rio users.

Duggan

fredaevans
01-04-2002, 04:54 PM
The 6-7-8 WC does a good job with this rod, but with the 'short' head you're required to strip-shoot line on casts much over 30 foot. Another line that actually does a good job out to the 50-60 foot range (plus leader) is an 8wt DT. Cheaper than dirt, and if max casts arn't an issue just a standard (no-spey length) DT will work fine. The extra wt also helps turn over some pretty mossy sized flys.
fe

Doublespey
01-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Having played with this rod a bit, I'm guessing the Wulff TT Spey in 8/9 would probably fit the bill + a bit longer belly than the Rio WC (about 75' if I remember correctly).

fisshman26
01-04-2002, 06:52 PM
The Mastery spey 8/9 balances well with this rod and if the belly is to short for you as is then add a t/t tip probably 30-35 ft. You can lift the whole belly-line and cast with the new 7136.

inland
01-04-2002, 08:56 PM
I fished the old brown rod for almost 5 years before retiring it in favor of the 6126. After casting the new green 7136, I will have one in a few months. I was that impressed in how sage corrected the deficiencies over the old model.

I spent a few hours throwing the rod and changing lines every 15 to 30 minutes. I threw a WC 6/7/8 and 7/8/9, midspey 6/7 and 7/8, cortland DT spey 8/9, accelerator 7/8, and TT 7/8.

I am not a major proponent of overlining rods, in fact I believe that overlining just creates bad habits while making the rod more difficult to handle. I would take Simon's advice on his list of the "More advanced caster" rating, I believe it is list A, and use the midspey 6/7. The rod really ate that line up.

William

loco_alto
01-04-2002, 11:24 PM
I fish the new Sage 7136-4 and like doublespey have settled on a TT spey 8/9 (now called TT8) as my hands down favorite. The entire line is easily picked up and spey cast. To add distance capability I snipped mine at the rear taper and backed it with a cheap WF10F - adds another easy 15' of carry line. Finally, for tips, I cut the line ca. 18-20' from the tip (thickness of an 8 weight floater) and looped it. It casts 8 wt tips in type 3 and type 6 with aplomb. highly recommended.

Other lines that I have tried, and which work OK but less well for me, are Windcutter 7/8/9 and DT9 (DT8 is OK too, but a bit light for me). The Windcutter is, well, a Windcutter. It has a very narrow window towards the rear where the rod feels suddenly very loaded, and if timing is too sudden with the full line out, then the rod feels downright bogged down. This is perhaps why FE likes the WC 6/7/8. My WC 7/8/9 also works OK with a 10-15' longer mid section that Rio made for me a few years ago, as this spreads out some of the mass and loads the rod more easily to 50', but it gets hard to work that extra 15' out without it feeling funky (not JB funky, but moldy cheese funky :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: ) .. the DT9 is just fine - really quite nice as a dry line to 60', but doesn't have as near smooth turnover as the TT8. Both are serviceable, however, if your/his tastes run there.

skookum
01-05-2002, 01:42 PM
Well, I was driving around thinking about this question in the new Ferrari I got for Christmas...Jeez, nice gifts, lucky guy. And they say we're in a slow economy! In all seriousness, I love the new 7136-4, and have been fishing it with an 8/9 Mastry Spey from SA. With 77 feet of "fat stuff," I don't have to strip much, and it also shoots line quite well. At first, this line might seem a bit heavy for the rod, but it really pushes a heavy tip and big flies well. So well that this is now the rod I use most frequently. It's really a treat to fish all day, and makes the big sticks feel kind of cumbersome. Love it. Good luck.

Skookum

fredaevans
01-07-2002, 04:16 PM
The WC 6-7-8 works just fine on the 'old' 7136-4 but a wimp line on the 'new' green model. Doesn't load the rod that well at all; a DT 8 does a better job (9 may also be 'ok' but don't have one of those to test.

Like the idea of the TT8 for this rod as two of the better spey casters are touting this match up. But suspect both have large blocks of stock in the company.:hehe:

Off to call Mark to see if he has 'my new toy.'
fe

Willie Gunn
01-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Fred
How big is this new toy. 18ft ?

Malcolm:hehe:

fredaevans
01-07-2002, 10:37 PM
Need to get the 'spec' for the 18 footer. Saw your e mail but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Have half doz. "body bags" tied up for you this evening so will post off tomorrow. Given size of the WG's sent, I've tied them big and BIGGER for your and Melly's waters.
fe

The 'new toy' is the TT8 line for the 'green' 7136-4 spey rod; still lusting for the "big rod" noted above.

loco_alto
01-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Fred,

You've been so enamored with that massive 18 footer.,.. have you tried the TT8 on the new 7136 yet? ~Steve

juro
01-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Great reading and advice! Thanks all. I think the new 7136 is going to be my next Spey rod.

Juro

sinktip
01-18-2002, 12:22 PM
HELP

My buddy follwed the advice of the board and went with the 8/9 Mastery Spey. We are floating tomorrow and he wants to try out his new toy. So here I am with the reel, line and a couple of Rio 15' tips. My only problem is I'm not sure where to cut the Mastery Spey. It has a 20' front taper but I doubt I would need to cut it back that far. To save me from the going the micrometer route, anyone have a tried and true cut-point for this line?

Thanks,
st

lastcaststeve
01-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Dear Sir,

I think you'll find that the front taper is actually closer to 17 feet, but at any rate, having cut up lots of the mastery speys...I would cut the front 14 feet off...loop both ends so you can retain the floating tip....cutting at this point seems to work well with all the mastery speys...8/9, 10/11, and 11/12...hope this helps...have fun!

steve

fredaevans
01-18-2002, 03:43 PM
Steve, sorry I just plain missed your post. We're locked and loaded with the TT8 on the 2001 (green) 7136. As recommended it's a great rod /line combination. Tie up my own leaders so only 'complaint' I had is the leader would not lay out properly.

If all else fails dept: Later read the line instructions (dah Fred) and problem was (as is stated with the line) you need to use butt material of .023. Changed over and zip!!!!!

Fred

sinktip
01-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks Steve. I will take the knife to her at 14'. I have cut up lots of Rio lines and some SA steelhead tapers but this will be a first for me on the Mastery Spey.

Duggan

pescaphile
01-18-2002, 05:24 PM
Sinktip,
I'm sure if you cut your 8/9 spey at 14 feet you'll be okay. I've always cut them at 17 feet and I am very pleased. I cut them at 17 feet for both the 8/9 and 10/11 sizes. The taper is indeed 20 feet long as is spec'd by SA. I 've measured this line's taper at one foot intervals and came and verified this (on one line anyway). I think the difference in those three feet will be negligible however in real-world fishing.

I really like the Mastery spey line. Has a long enough belly and turns tips over well. My number one line.

I'm curious what the new 7136-4 is like. I have the older version and while it is a nice rod to fish, I don't care too much for playing fish with it as it bottoms out too soon in my opinion. I breifly cast the new 9140-4 and liked what Sage had done with it, so am real curious about the new 7136. I've cast the Mastery Spey 8/9 on the older version and felt the line was too heavy for the rod. The fact that people here are saying this line matches well with the new rod tells me I might have to try the new 7136. -Like I need another rod!

Pesacaphile

fredaevans
01-18-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm curious what the new 7136-4 is like. I have the older version and while it is a nice rod to fish, I don't care too much for playing fish with it as it bottoms out too soon in my opinion. I breifly cast the new 9140-4 and liked what Sage had done with it, so am real curious about the new 7136. I've cast the Mastery Spey 8/9 on the older version and felt the line was too heavy for the rod. The fact that people here are saying this line matches well with the new rod tells me I might have to try the new 7136. -Like I need another rod!

FishGuy: have both rods and love them both ... but for different applications. (God, this is my night for repeating myself, Sorry Guys/Gals). The old (brown) is a 7wt rod, the 'new' (green) is a light wt 8 traditional spey rod. Would I want to go 'mono on mono' with a very large fish with the 'brown,' strongly doubt it. The green has beached fish that wted. in at 25 pounds.

The older 7136-4 is a low water summer run steelhead rod, the newer one up's the anti considerably on fish size ... but still a low water flow rod. Both dreams to cast (these are "all day rods") and will handle different lines. The old works wonderfully with the WC 6-7-8, the 'new' says ok, but so what. Newer one is great with a 8 or 9 DT (these are NOT sink tip line rods!!!).
fe

loco_alto
01-22-2002, 01:18 AM
Fred - glad the TT 8 worked.

Just in case you or someone else has a standard TT6 lying around, and like me were wondering what to do with it, check this out. A standard TT6 is identical to a Spey TT8 for the entire forward taper up to 40'. At 40' the TT6 drops to running line. Cut it at the drop, back it to a WF9F (tip taper removed) and you're in business with a nice-as-can-be 80' dry line for the newer 7136.

juro
01-22-2002, 06:23 AM
Met a shop owner from the NY or NJ who has four 7136-4 green 2001 being cleared for a little over $400 new due to the 2002 color change to gold/brown. He also has the 9140-4 and 10150's at similar prices.

I assume that is the only change but the newer one did feel a bit 'tighter' in terms of the flex point on the blank. Didn't get to cast them due to the casting pool being rididculously narrow.

If anyone is interested I am hunting down his information and seriously considering picking one up from him.

sinktip
01-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Juro,

I am also tempted to pick up the green 7136-4. I played around a little with it on Saturday and was quite impressed. It handled a snap-t quite well with up to 76' of Mastery spey 8/9 (including 15' Rio Type VI for 7) off the reel. Anything more than that and it got a little doggy but that was probably more me than the rod. Much crisper than the old brown version.

Now I just need to find a spare $400 sitting around.

ST

fredaevans
01-22-2002, 11:58 AM
but given the huge difference in rods between the first two generations it's going to be interesting to try the 'third.' Both rods, all-be-it very different in action (the 'green' being a much 'faster action' rod) these are the low water summer steelhead rods of choice for me.

Did beach a 25#'ish fall king on the green but with the light blank, the rod was 'flat' to the water more often than I'd like for handling a fish that size.
fe

loco_alto
01-23-2002, 12:07 AM
lucky Fred,

I don't believe that the "third" model really exists. My understanding is that the 7136-4 has been redesigned only once. The new design was originally released in green graphite in 2001, then the color was switched to tan graphite in 2002.

Now the color scheme is traditional speys match the tan SLT series, and the euro speys match the green XP series. Pity, I prefer the softer rods but the green blanks. Lucky to have a 2001 green 7136.

There, now I've saved you $400. I'll take my 50% and be on with it....:hehe:

Steve

fredaevans
01-23-2002, 04:05 AM
Think you're dead on right with the matching up of rod colourings. I've seen something to this effect elsewhere. But with this particular rod, if you've got it nailed designwise: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

And no, I'm not going to send you $200, but if your very, very nice I just might let you come to the spey lessons down here in April. Steve has agreed to put on a two day class (and he may be bringing another top end spey rodder/teacher with him) and we're looking at early April. Ton of fish in the upper Rogue at that time, weather (95% of the time) is great, etc.

Now, go back to the top of the last paragraph and re-review the "very, very nice" part.
Fred

longhackle
01-23-2002, 09:28 PM
Fred, I haven't seen other posts yet about the class you and Lastcaststeve are doing, but I am interested. Is there room for another participant?

I am wanting to fish that water in April this year anyway and would love to combine a session with Steve to "buck-up" what casting skills I have developed so far.

(I still want to get out on the R river with you for some fishing--I wasn't able to make it last fall--maybe we can connect this spring. Gotta see that 18 footer! Do you fish the Takelma to Dodge stretch very often?)

Whaddyasay? PLease email me: longhackle@hotmail.com

Jerry