Flyfishing loses one of its greats [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flyfishing loses one of its greats

Dble Haul
01-04-2002, 03:22 PM
I just heard the sad news that Gary LaFontaine passed away today after a three year battle with Lou Gherig's Disease (aka ALS). He is survived by his daughter and son-in-law.

Gary was an innovative tier, fisher, and author who helped to unlock some of the mysteries of flyfishing, particularly entomology. Up to the point of his passing, he was working on a book about blue winged olives. Prior to that, he had over 100 articles printed in several magazines, and 5 published books. He will be missed by flyfishers, and by people in general who love the outdoors. He'll also be remembered for how bravely he fought his illness right up to the end.

I hope that he rests in peace, and that his family finds peace knowing that he is no longer suffering.

steeliesonafly
01-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. I have watch Gary tye and had the privledge of using a lot of his methods. I have been to many of TU meetings that a good friend of his tied the flys for Gary because of his disease. I know the world of FF is going to morn his loss and his knowledge. He will be missed.....:(