Fly Fishing Forum banner

What are you going to check out at the Marlborough Show?

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
I am going to check out the Ross Big Canyon Reel , Sage Rods and Thomas & Thomas Rods.
I also want to hear Alan Caolo talk on Sight Fishing for Bass. Can't wait for the show.
:smokin: FishHawk

#2 ·
:) I hope to get up to the show, don't know yet. I do know that Alan Caolo's presentation on Sight Fishing for Stripers will be good, especially if you fish the flats in the salt ponds, bays, like Napatree inside Little Narragansett Bay, or Monomy. I was fishing Weekapaug Breachway, when I asked a friend about Alan, asa I had never run into him, when he said why don't you ask him. I got introduced to him right then. Had a nice chat. I even gave him Flyfishingforums website address, also bought his book. Believe me it is very interesting has some good color plates of flies, and bait. He also has a book on baitfish.:)

#5 ·
Rel1,

That Rod got a very good write-up in "Fly Fishing America" Magazine's "2002 Gear Review" As you say, it should be helpful in the surf, but seems (to me)like going half-of-the-way to a two-hander. I think that this 10'6" is really going to catch on, but I think that the big market may be the YAK Crew who are looking to "Buy-Back" some of the height lost from sitting low in the water? What do you YAKers think about a foot-and-a-half more long-wand? Or would this big boy be too akward in a Yak?

As far as the show goes, I'd be most interested in the Seminars, maybe a class, & all of the tying do-dads. I don't need any big things, so I may not even go. The Wilmington show is only 5 miles from my house & Malboro is almost an hour. Question is, can I holdout til March? Also, looks like the board is going to be pretty active in Marlboro, but I've been so busy (check my post count) that I could not even volinteer to get involved. I'll bet Juro et al will do something in Wilmington in March when we're all "Chomping at the bit"

#7 ·
My brother Mike and I had the opportunity to attend Alan Caolo's seminar at last years show. We both agreed that it was the most informative, best organized and communicated presentation that we sat in on.

He was very apologetic initially because it was his very first time presenting the information in front of a crowd. He was a natural, and seemed to be an exceptionally nice guy. After the show we had a chance to speak with him and he invited us to come down and fish RI with him.

Don't miss it at the show. A great deal of it was new information to me at the time. I'd be interested in what the more experienced people on this board think of it.

By the way, I also got his book for Christmas, but, I think my father has obsconded with it. Maybe I'll print a picture of the book and place it on the back of a milk carton in my dad's refrigerator with a "LOST" sign on it.......

#8 ·
Looking forward to Marlboro. No way I can wait till March in Wilmington. Definitely want to catch Alan Caolo's presentation, as well as the others on stripers and on fishing in Maine. Most likely will part with a few dollars for tying stuff, maybe a new reel for the new rod... decisions, decisions...

Liked the show last year. Really enjoyed watching Popovics and Puglisi (sp?) tie flies in the fly tyers row. Very informative and they were both terrific. Showed things step by step, esp. Popovics who caused me to buy his book immediately afterwards.

#9 ·
Mark, where has good old dad been hiding?

I plan on taking in a few seminars, with Caolo's being a priority. Also want to hang around the fff booth, maybe run for coffee's or something, and pick up some tying tips. Right now I have no imminent purchases in mind but I'm sure I'll pick up a few ideas.

#11 ·
Don't forget OUR booth!

Roop will be posting the schedule for who will be tying what on which days shortly, we've just about heard back from everyone now.

There will sessions each of the three days, approximately every other hour (an hour class, an hour break, etc).

You will be able to sign up on a first come first served basis to sit down at the tying stations and follow step by step through a favorite pattern with the likes of Todd Murphy, Gil Berke, Harry Koons, Ray Stacheleck, Arthur Sawayer, Stan Mackerwicz, Rich Soriano, Jared Tausig, Bob Pink Jr, Striblue the tying inferno, and myself. All materials will be provided, just sit down and enjoy the experience of learning from the instructors in our booth.

On a side note we need one or two volunteers each day to man the booth, promote the forum, etc. If you can spend every other hour at the booth any of the three days please contact me offline and we'll arrange for your free admission to the show as working staff members.

#12 ·
O' Father, Where Art Thou?

Dad has been busy with the holidays and family matters. I assure you that all is well and he is as energetic as ever. He and I will be attending the show together on Saturday, most likely.

As for his lack of presence on the board.....to this point he has taken the path of least resistance. I went by the house to do the registering process but something came up and we got distracted while checking out the posts. Therefore, his computer had my registration information stored on it and he went about perusing the Forum as me, but without me knowing it. I will try and resurrect his internet persona this weekend if possible. I'll tell him you were asking for him.

~Mark

#13 ·
Juro Roop,

I'll be at the show Sat. Consider me a floater who can jump in if needed in the booth.

I'll be checking out every 4 pc. 7 wt. in the joint and an extra spool for the Tioga 6. Oh ya, if the Fish Ireland boys are in, I'll be there too.

Lefty

#16 ·
I'll be looking to handle the new Orvis T3 rods.

Has anyone seen these yet? Better yet, has anyone read the ads for them in the latest FF magazines? T3 must stand for Terminator 3. I'm sure it will come as standard equipment on the latest Humvee's as well.

"...Orvis employs exclusive thermoplastic-enriched, thermoset resins and nano-ceramic binders in the graphite matrix.
The thermoplastic-enriched resins and the nano-ceramic binders encase every high modulus graphite fiber in its own protective armor."

Then, and this is by far the best part, they go on to say:

"The only other product where this technology exists today is in the rotor blades of Comanche attack helicopters."

Hmmm...and all this time I thought I needed a baseball bat or a shotgun for home security. If it is good enough for the Comanche helicopter then it must be good enough to thump would be terrorists with. I envision myself with my four piece T3 jousting with Mullah Mohammad Omar as he tries to escape Baghran on his motorcycle and the coup de grace, fencing with Osama himself in the streets of Kabul.

A fly rod, by any other name, is just a fly rod.......

~Mark

#17 ·
Mark, I saw them the other day at the Framingham Orvis store.. can't tell about performance but they look nice.. also the reel seat looks like something made of brushed metal.. Ttanium? I don't know ..but the cosmetics are definitly a step above the usual high end Orvis rod.

#18 · (Edited)
..and what about the new (as yet hard to find) depleted uranium dumbbell eyes for tying clousers and the deep eel?
1/4th the size and 4 times the weight...and they glow in the dark!?
Marketed by New England Yankee and distributed by the Dept of Energy...

#19 ·
I myself will be shopping for lots of materials, tying tools & other goodies, deals on reels & rods - if I can score a complete outfit bonus.

Also looking forward to meeting folks at the booth & shooting halacious amounts of b.s. with you guys.

Stop by the New England Saltwater Fly Rodders booth, I'll be there in the afternoons Sat. & Sun.

#21 ·
Just want to throw out another recommendation for seeing Alan Caolo's session at the Marlborough Show.

He presented last night at the NESWFR meeting, and it was very informative. Some really nice examples of spotting bass in the surf, their behaviour when feeding on different baits, etc.. Good stuff all around.

-- Tom

#22 ·
:) Juro, I don't know how I missed your earlier post in this thread, but I did. I am not trying to sell a rod I built last year, but if you want me to, I will bring it on the Saturday. Perhaps you would get a chance to try it out, at the pool. It is a 2 piece 9 foot 10 weight , it is still brand new, and fast action. It isn't for sale, but it might give you an idea:smokin: Let me know if you would like to see it.

#23 ·
Art -

If it's any trouble to carry around I will visit you in Rhody to cast it this summer instead of at the show... but if you'd like to bring it I would be honored to throw a line with it.

In any case, it will be good to see you again.

BTW - you'll have to tell me what kind of watermelon that was that you brought to the Sandy Shore Hotel last Rhodyfest. After the feast I ended up bringing that thing home and really enjoyed it!

#24 ·
Hi all,
I'm planning to be there Friday afternoon/evening. Signed up for a couple of the tying sessions and will probably pick up some tying materials and maybe even a whole 9wt set-up if the price is right. WARNING: I will also be asking all kinds of "beginner" questions about lines, leaders, knots etc. See ya there!
Q

#26 · (Edited)
juro said:
Quentin -

Don't forget I have that 9wt for you. I forget the brand but it's an IM6 blank and casts su-weet! Send me an email toward the end of the week to remind me to bring it on Fri and it's yours!
Nope, I didn't forget! And the price is certainly right on that rod! Are you setting up the booth on Thursday night or Friday morning? If you're setting up on Friday I'd be happy to come out early and help out in any way I can.
Q

P.S. I just skimmed through the posts about the show. Someone mentioned handing out fliers or brochures but I didn't see any further discussion as to whether this was in the plan. If so, do you have it covered?? I'm not good with graphic design and layout, but I'd be happy to run some copies on my printer if you're doing color prints and need some extra "printer capacity". Or, if you're not doing color prints, I can make some photocopies and start folding (if it's a "brochure" style handout). Just email a copy and I will get cranking.
Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.