A great book for you steelheader's out there [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A great book for you steelheader's out there

Steelheader69
01-02-2002, 03:06 PM
This is not a sale's pitch for one of my ebay auctions. Nor iis this a pitch for a friends auction either. Just wanted to puut that disclaimer out first before anyone reads this post. This is just an FYI for all you who love to either read about ssteelheading and/or colect steelheading book.

I myself am both. I love older vintage books bes. Hene, any of you have older steelhead books you want to donate or sell to me, I'l take them. LOL. But onto why I'm posting. I myself have an older first run hardback of Trey Combs Steelhead Fly Fishing. Not theold old one tha was originaly printed about 1976 (which I have also) but one I do believe was printed iin the 80's. It is still in prinn, but onnly ii softbound. It is al in white on cover with apartial picture of asteelhead on it. Iit is an excelent bok. A great read cover to cover with a few plates of flies on it and sections on great sstelhhead rivers and also sections about steelhead fly fisherman and tiers of flies. Iif you do collect books, this is amust haae book. Figured I'd let you all know about iit so you can bid on it if you really want it.

If you're interested in buying it, i's on ebay. Do a smart search oon main page and look for item by item number. The item number on on thiis book is 140147140. If any of you live near the Tacoma area, I'd be more then wiling to let you take a look at it. It doesn't leave my house though, I'm pretty neuratic about my books, especialy my specity books.

sinktip
01-02-2002, 03:59 PM
I have that one and it is the BIBLE.

I have read it cover to cover at least 3 times. This year on the Bulkley when we showed up before daylight to find the river the color of chocolate milk I remembered Trey writing about how the Telkwa blows it out and how the river will stay clear above the confluence. Twenty minutes later we are at Telkwa looking upriver at the clear waters of the Bulkley. Thank you Trey!

MJC
01-02-2002, 04:07 PM
Jerry, Your e-bay number doesn't work. Here is the message I'm getting from e-bay.
The item you requested ( 140147140 ) is invalid or no longer in our database. Please check the number and try again. If this message persists, the item has expired and is no longer available.

Steelheader69
01-02-2002, 05:12 PM
I forgot a number. 1401417140. Yes sinktip, it's a bible alright. A wonderful book. I've read it about as much aas you have. Seems I break it out at least once amonth and reread a chaapter or two. This is the nice leatherboundd hardback version with gold lettering and a gold jumping stelhead on coer.

pmflyfisher
01-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Yep have both of the T. Coombs Steelhead book. The first book I obtained in 1980 or 1981 and was basically what I used to learn how to steelhead fish in Michigan waters. Had been eastern trout fisherman prior to that. Both are great books. I reread some of the newer T. Coombs book over the Holidays along with some of the old Steelhead and Steelhead river journals from Frank Amato publications. Seems like I pick up some thing new each time but maybe it is my memory fading from the first time I read these books.

I have a number of other steelhead fly fishing books, L. Waller, B. Arnold, etc. and a several midwestern steelhead books would have to say though the T. Coombs books are the best for technical information on US and BS steelhead and rivers. The T. Coombs book is light on fly tying information though.