A Most Wonderful Gift [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A Most Wonderful Gift

FlyMan
12-31-2001, 05:31 PM
I just wanted to share this with you as I'm sure many of you can appreciate what I felt when I opened a gift this year from my daughter. A little background:

This past summer I introduced my daughter to flyfishing, with a guide, a week before her wedding in the hopes of relievivg some pre-wedding stress. She really enjoyed it and it was the only time we have gone so far, as she now lives in Seattle.

For Christmas, all on her own, she took some fly tying lessons, bought some basic equipment and tied me 3 dozen various flys. She made her own beautiful hand made card to go with it. On the front she had mounted her first fly, a Woolly Bugger, with "My First Fly" hand written under it. Inside was a beautiful poem she wrote that brought me to tears (and it takes a lot to do that!) I'd like to share it with you:

'Twas two months before Christmas
and your gift was in thought
The only part lacking
was the skills to be taught

I enrolled in a class and attended each day
My goal of fly tying was well on its way

With visions of flys to Orvis I went
On tools and materials my money was spent

On Woolly Bugger, on Bead-Head Soft Hackle -
These were the first flies that this novice did tackle

Then came the Hare's Ear Nymph and the Adams, too
When I finished the Letort Hopper, I knew I was through

Into the tackle box these flies did go
For me to wrap up and tie with a bow

And so did appear to your wondering eyes
With love from me - these hand-tied flies

Merry Christmas!
Love, Heather

What more could a father ask for! I hope some day all of you fathers can experience the pleasure something like this can bring.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Happy New Year!

juro
12-31-2001, 05:48 PM
Flyman -

You are a lucky man, and your daughter is lucky to have you for her dad. As 2002 rolls in I hope this foundation, this newfound bond through flyfishing - grows into something that brings new joys to both of you in the years to come.

In late September in a Seattle flyshop called Avid Angler there was a father and daughter (who was about to be married) heading out to the Hoh River on the Peninsula. Doublespey and I were there talking with Nate, the guy who makes that place tick (store mgr). It was really inspiring to see father and daugther so excited about going fishing together, as they talked excitedly about the wedding in the same breath. They zoomed around the store while Nate offered his great advice.

That wouldn't have been you would it? I was the one who handed you the purple marabou winged wet fly for the upper Hoh if that was you!

FrenchCreek
12-31-2001, 06:35 PM
Flyman, what a great post. Thank you for sharing it with the Board.
When I guide on the Bow, I occasionally get the great pleasure of having parents and their kids on board. They make for the best trips I do each year. There is some magic that takes place when Mom or Dad pass up a riser to let the young ones get a crack at it and then see the 20+inch rainbow peel off line as it goes acrobatic. The smile on the kids faces are infectious. You and your daughter are my guest any time you want to come out here.

Roop
01-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Congratulations on having done such a good job raising your daughter.

A great thought for starting the new year.

Colston
01-01-2002, 10:13 AM
First day of theyear wasn't starting too well, but your post certainly changed my attitude. Believe I'll get on the horn and call my young'uns. (Like yours, mine live far away from me.)

Incidental point: It's encouraging to see yours and at least one other post talking about young women taking up fly fishing. There's no reason inthe world women shouldn't and they surely improve scenoc views astream more than we do.

FlyMan
01-01-2002, 11:41 AM
Juro,
No, unfortunately it wasn't me at that shop in Seattle. I quess there are at least a few other lucky fathers out there.

Pete,
Your offer to fish in Calgary with my daughter is a tempting one. She's in the process of applying to Law schools and am not sure how long she'll be in the Seattle area. How can I look you up if the opportunity arises?

It's nice reading the responses to this post.

NrthFrk16
01-01-2002, 11:08 PM
FlyMan-
Excellent post!!! Thank you!!...and us single flyfishers must thank you and others who take the time to introduce their daughters to the sport of fishing. Some of us would love to meet a girl we can share the rivers with... :hehe: :hehe:

...just as long as they dont turn out like a certain someone. :devil:

Hawkeye
01-02-2002, 08:43 AM
A wonderful post! Thank you for sharing such a special moment and promise of many more to follow.

Tod D
01-02-2002, 07:09 PM
What a wonderful gift. Just got home from a long post-holiday work day, tucked my boys into bed & this was the 1st post I came across. Terrific stuff Flyman.

fredaevans
01-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Just wonderful! Re-proves the old adage: " A father has a son until he takes a wife, a father has a daughter for the rest of his life."

Life is good.
fe

striblue
01-02-2002, 09:05 PM
You should frame that. Submit it to one of our sponsors.. "The Yale Anglers Journal". They do publish Poems

FlyMan
01-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Thank you Striblue - Good ideas!

I brought the card to the framer last night and also submitted my story and her poem to Yale Anglers Journal. Hope to hear something from them soon.