Show Planning Committee Volunteers? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Show Planning Committee Volunteers?

juro
12-21-2001, 12:57 PM
We need people with vises, and I mean other than fishing :D

Also, anyone with a knack for building display structures to help Roop and I work out the right display strategy.

If you have props that work with a fishing lodge genre, let us know.

Let's start by taking committee volunteer names and setting up an offline communication list...

Hawkeye
12-21-2001, 01:28 PM
I've only got one item from the list you posted - the vise, a Danvise - and you are welcome to it. Despite my lack in the other areas I'll volunteer for the committee if you have any use for me.

striblue
12-22-2001, 10:32 AM
Juro, I will bring one... where is Tom D whe you need him.. he probably still has about 5.;)

juro
12-22-2001, 09:32 PM
Thanks Gregg, John - I have two so that's five with Roop's :D

Gregg, we could definitely use your talents around the booth. I recall from conclaves that you are the handy type...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/monomoy2000/juros/full/tarptrick.jpg

Bob Pink
12-23-2001, 06:05 PM
Juro,
I have one extra vice but perhaps more importantly I have an LCD projector if you have any difficulty requisitioning on through work.

Also have access to a modular slotwall panel system that we could use as a backdrop. ( Don't have any great ideas for how we would mount displays on it though ! )

juro
12-23-2001, 10:55 PM
Bob you are a saint! Roop and I have been trying to figure out how to get a backdrop built. It would be huge to borrow yours. We have some ideas on the overall booth arrangement, I'll give you a call to see what you think of our plan.

Thank you!!!

(more details will be posted shortly)

Chris
12-24-2001, 07:03 AM
All I can offer is my time. I am a novice tyer and won't be mutch help in that vein. I am however willing to cover a block of time expousing the forum qualities. I will also slip you my $20.00 at the show.

Sprocket
12-24-2001, 01:42 PM
Juro - I'll be the Marlboro show but it may be with another club

New England Saltwater Fly Rodders (sorry about the shameless plug)

but if they don't need me to work the booth, I'll donate some time (and $20) for the cause. My tying stuff is relatively portable.

Feel free to contact me via email and we can work out the details.

Regards,
TMS

juro
12-25-2001, 11:34 PM
Thank you Sprocket! I am a fan of the New England Saltwater Fly Rodders.

I'll email you to discuss further, hopefully we'll have an opportunity to take advantage of your generous offer!

doogue
12-26-2001, 03:58 PM
Juro,

I know that my Dad has an oval plaque that somehow has a salmon "skin" (in profile) embedded in the nice antique wood. It is a lodge piece if I have ever seen one - it is really hard to explain what it looks like. I will try to get you a digital picture in case you want to borrow it. I also have a few bamboo fly rods (that I know nothing about - nothing more than the fact that my wife's family found them in the attic if their cottage in Northern Michigan). I do not think that they are valuable but they look cool. You could borrow those too. I do not have any period reels for them.

I am also commited to helping you and Roop out with any setup/logistical work that would benefit from my assistance. I may be available that Friday, Saturday and Sunday if you need help. I would be happy to man the booth and/or tie some flies too. E-mail me and let me know.

One idea that I had if you are struggling for ideas as to how to make the booth look decent is as follows: Pottery Barn sells large wall frames (about 3' x 2') that hold 9 4"x 6" pictures. I happen to have 2 of these nice wooden frames (mahogany stain) that are filled with pictures from my travels over the past few years. I could empty them out if you wanted a nice way to display 18 pictures that highlight some Forum events over the past 2 years.

Just a thought...

Eddie
12-27-2001, 05:35 PM
I can sit at the booth, and help set up on the first day. I could bring a vise too. Any thing else?

juro
12-27-2001, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys! Love to have you man the booth Eddie. By first day do you mean Friday (Jan 18)? I am getting closer to a schedule. We can add Capt. Arthur Sawayer to the roster for one of Sunday morning's lessons as well as the pro's we already have on board with us.

If you are planning to attend a class, please check out the schedule we'll be posting shortly. Each class will last one hour and all materials will be provided. If you prefer to use your own vise feel free to bring it but we will have enough on hand either way.

The details will be posted with plenty of time for this late January event.

striblue
12-28-2001, 07:13 AM
Juro, I will have a small display with me for my session. Polar fiber bait fish, Sand eels..assorted.. Lefty's deceivers,Sedotti slamers,Poplovics flies, angel hair bait fish, and last night I finished an assortment of crease flies... including some crabs, shrimp, eel and squid crease flies. The crease flies were copied from Ververkas selection on Joe Blados.

GregD
12-28-2001, 11:36 AM
I can do a basic floor plan on my CAD/CAM system for some space layouts. Juro asked me about drawing up a backdrop using some lumber and a square of shakes for a little roof. I don't have all the specifics to model it up at the moment. I had some thoughts that could incorporate Bob Pink's display by using the back of some of my mat board as a display screen. With a small roof section over it to shade it, one could show the Fly Fishing Forum live if we had a laptop and internet access. Not sure how much electricity the booth has access to either.

Also if we are planning on having 10 tying areas space can get tight in a hurry. Was that in an adjacent area or in the booth too?

Anyway I can help with the layout and man the booth for awhile on Sunday only at this point. Let me know if I can be of service to you guys.

Greg.

Sprocket
12-29-2001, 01:02 PM
Hey Juro, guys,
I'm kinda loosing sight of what this booth is supposed to do - Is it to encourage more people to visit this site or something else?

I know I personally will be excited to meet all of you guys but what happens when somebody who's never heard of the BB asks the question, "What's this booth all about?" How do we answer?

I guess it boils down to a mission statement - a focus for us volunteers - it's all about the BB, the folks who visit/post, a place to learn about flyfishing & related and what it (the BB) brings the individual fisherman.

Trying to be constructive here & looking forward to the show and putting faces to the names that are so familiar to me.

Juro - still don't know my schedule for the NESFR booth but will keep you posted - feel free to email as well.
(note to self - cut back on the caffine...studdddery fingerss on the keyboard!)

striblue
12-29-2001, 02:12 PM
Sproket..good questions.. I think it does revolve around the mission statement, but also to demonstrate that the forum is more than just a web site.. witness the functions ,etc. the frendships made etc. I mean I started tying as a result of my exposure to those on the site that do tye, even though I knew about the aspects of tying before hand. I think the booth should be set up in an eclectic way and offer a number of things.. but all in all it is selling the site... as well as make it a stop for those who walk by... being somewhat different than other booths..just my feeling..

juro
12-30-2001, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I had to attend to my first priority - family activities during the holidays. I am a really lucky guy to have such a great family and great holiday times with the entire clan.

OK -

Sprocket:

Sorry about the seeming silence. Both Jeff Roop and I have been busy getting things firmed up. There are a couple of details to finalize but it appears that we currently have 11 instructors at this time.

I know you have responsibilities at your booth, so please don't feel obligated to do anything more than come over to hang out with us whenever you can get away. Looking forward to shooting the breeze or tying some flies with you. Our plans will be better defined over the next couple of days.

What is this booth going to be about?

1) Spreading the Word...
Well, if you look back at the quality people we met last year at the show, and good time Forum members had being there at the booth, it's a win-win. When you include the fact that many people attending the show didn't know about web communities that are a big part of flyfishing today (as well as everything else), it's worthwhile to spread the message, for sure. We're only as good as the people who participate, and the more the merrier. Let's hope we meet as many great folks as we did last year!

2) Tying with our Sponsors and Friends
One of the things about a fly show is that you walk around a lot but don't always have an activity to participate in until you get home with all those neat materials. Our idea is to provide a way to meet the professionals who sponsor the forum, sit down and tie a fly with them - during the show hours!

3) Having a great time!
If nothing else, it's a great way to meet the people of the Northeast Region who participate in the Forum community. We hold a number of fun events through the year but during this "off-season" it's great to enjoy a little camaraderie off the water.

I know there are a lot of things that will come out of this that don't need to be anticipated or planned, like new friendships and fishing partners. We don't need no mission statement, let's just go have some fun!

Special thanks to all who are participating to make this all possible!