Data acquisition. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Data acquisition.

jborkowski
12-21-2001, 01:39 PM
If you could electronically log every trip out, what data would you want to capture?

time of day, tide, location, water temp etc...?????

Dble Haul
12-21-2001, 02:13 PM
I guess that I would want to record the following:

Date
Water temperature
Tide
Moon phase
Outfit (rod, line, etc.)
Prevalant bait
Target species
Species caught
Successful patterns

And maybe an area for notes such as what didn't work (failed knots, for example) and what area of the water column held fish (top, middle, or bottom).

Good question, it made me think. :rolleyes:

John Desjardins
12-21-2001, 02:54 PM
Jeff are you thinking of using a data logger, or manually entering the data into a data base? The geek in me has thought of using a data logger in the past and came up with this list.

sensors measuring:
Ph,
salinity,
disolved oxygen,
GPS for position,
air & water temp,
light intensity,
water turbidity,
wind speed & direction.

Also a way to manually enter the fly being used, fish caught, water velocity, bait present, and general comments. That would cover most things you might want to keep track of.

If you do create a system for this be careful of how it affects your psyche. For many keeping a log is said to be relaxing. I don't keep a log because years ago I found that keeping a log lead to my fishing for numbers and I didn't enjoy the fishing as much.

Lefty
12-21-2001, 03:18 PM
If you were at Chatham you would also want to add the number of casts it took you to hook up to that thirty something monster. You could have 2 check boxes. One for "1" cast and the other for "2" casts. Just fill in the box, or color in the circle. And use a number 2 pencil will ya?:D

Merry Xmas Everyone!

Lefty

Hawkeye
12-21-2001, 04:53 PM
I like Dble Haul's list and would only add to the tide information making it a two parter.

Stage and Strength. Two significant factors in my book ... if I kept a book. ;)

juro
12-21-2001, 08:15 PM
Sean - I think we ought to respond to this discussion with a digital journal. We talked about this day one when we started the forum, never got around to it. Now might be a good time?

sean
12-21-2001, 09:20 PM
It is definitely something that is a can do. What is the interest overall for something like this? Feel free to let Juro or myself know so we can see if this is something people would want. Could be something easily tied into the board and members could have public or personal logs.

Let us know,

-sean

jborkowski
12-21-2001, 09:26 PM
juro/sean

has the potential to be an awesome resource. think of the reports you could generate.

but then again, i am a data junkie.

striblue
12-21-2001, 09:40 PM
I keep a log of all my outings.. Usually the date..Day ,time, weather ,wind.. location..fish..rod ,reel, Fly (althought it was mostly the deep sand eel) ,who I as with. But, I do it the old fashion way.. I put it in a leather bound journal I bought a Cranes & C.. I use a high Quality fountain pen.. Blue ink and write it in the journal.. Usually one page per outing.. I also will draw maps of the different locations and add a little of my own art work. It's great looking back thought it. I've done this for 4 years now. The trips to South Monomoy were longer.. I will sometimes tape cards of guides I know ,etc. I think it will be a great resourse for me years from now and fun to look though. All you guys are mentoned as well as all the claves..Th Journal is about 1 and 1/2 inch thick and about 4 by 6 inches .. brown leather.. I will not surcome to the modern age.

sean
12-21-2001, 10:53 PM
I keep a written journal as well and like it quite a bit. However an online archive of everyone's fishing results could prove to be a powerful tool. Not talking specific spots but general info like tides, time of day, etc could be cross referenced to provide an interesting look into fish behavior.

That is as long as everyone tells the truth and we don't get those 72 fish in 60 minutes tall tales:hehe: .

I would still keep my written journal but I am all for combining our knowledge into a mega fish catching database.

-sean

striblue
12-21-2001, 11:19 PM
Sean.. Yes.. what I meant was that I would not keep my records on my computer.. but I agree we could have it on the forum.. Interesting source which we could get valuable stats at the end of the season.

jborkowski
12-22-2001, 12:45 AM
John, I too have kept and will likely always keep a handwritten log. They're like sketch books really, of which, as an art major in college, I generated piles. They're very satisfying to create and to thumb back through.

Don't worry, the goal was not to try and supplant this kind of experience. Just turbocharge it on the backend.

Chris
12-22-2001, 07:09 AM
Neat idea. Make sure it has entrie spaces for fresh water also or perhaps a slightly different version in Q-trout.

juro
12-22-2001, 10:34 PM
I would add "secret slammin' song" to the list :D Great stuff, we'll look into it after Christmas. The list is pretty long for things to get done but this one's a dandy.

artb
12-23-2001, 07:44 AM
:) I think it is a great idea. I kept a record using Professional File back in the 1980's when I did a lot of trout fishing, kept it for 3 years, very interesting results. I started to make up one for salt water fishing using Office, but never used it. I will have to see if I can find it again.
Time
date
wind
surf
tide
moon
bait seen
bird activity
fish caught
what flies
Each setup[ as cells so you could easily recall the data in any form. The hardest part to setup for a group would be flies, as everyone doesn't have the same flies. You could only use a catagory like sand eel, squid fly, shrimp fly, silverside, pogy. An excellent idea though.:)

Chris
12-27-2001, 10:00 AM
I may have to get a nice journal like yours John, for Christmas I got a beatiful pen made from wood taken from the Edwards Dam which was removed from the Kennebec River.

Dble Haul
12-27-2001, 10:13 AM
Chris- Such an imaginative gift! You're lucky to be holding a small piece of Maine's angling and conservation history!

striblue
12-27-2001, 11:49 AM
Chris.. the funny thing is that it started out as just a fact journal,using one page per outing.. I then only put the entries in If I caught a fish that day.. unless I went to a new location or fished with somebody new. Then it turned into a sort of thought journal.. then handwritten maps were added and even my attempt at drawing an occational fish or fly.. I also taped cards in it.. like our own WWFF.. that Juro had done last year. I have decided not to tape photo's in it.. but may include photocpies of the pictures from the Forums trips..For example a cut down version of the group picture from one of our Rip trips... things like that. I will use a gift given to me awhile ago.. a Mont Blanc foutain pen.. just used for the journal... If anybody reaches for it at home to use or borrow.. they have been told that I will chop their hand off. There are no trials by jury for that offense.

Chris
12-30-2001, 10:27 PM
I was real pleased when I unwrapped it it is a beautiful piece of milled oak probably 165 years old. It may cost someone a finger if used. Next is finding a worthy receptacle for my scratching.