Skills [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Skills

Eddie
12-19-2001, 09:42 PM
Does any one else practice their paddling skills? Different strokes, self rescues, assisted rescues, bracing, etc.? I never hear any one talking about that kind of stuff.

fredaevans
12-20-2001, 05:33 AM
Bless you Eddie my Son. I read the posts from the 'nut cases' who do/want/desire to chase fish in yaks and I think their all several bricks short of a full wall.

I hope they practice them all and have a top end PFD.

Roop
12-20-2001, 06:33 AM
Good question Eddie.

Earlier this year I asked if anyone would be interested in a winter rolling session in a pool somewhere with no interest parties responding.

I'll follow up with a few of the people I would think of as yak "pros" and see if we could do a rolling/ paddle float rescue pool session if people are interested.

Whether your fishing or just touring, it is a fine line between taking a spill and maitaining control. Especially for some people who can't resist sliding down steep sand dunes into heavy tidal current seams. :D

pmflyfisher
12-20-2001, 06:35 AM
Could some one point me to some web sites with information on Yaks ? Thanks in advance.

:chuckle:

joev
12-20-2001, 08:30 AM
PM What do ya need for info?
joev

striblue
12-20-2001, 09:14 AM
Good subject and one I will take seriously this year after my mid channel dismount last June.

Adrian
12-20-2001, 11:03 AM
Quite a few outfitters offer various lesson packages either themselves or through a local school. I plan to sign up for one.

Not sure about rolling since I'm leaning toward a SOT.

I did read somewhere that you can "do it" in a SOT with the appropriate knee straps :D

JimW
12-20-2001, 12:21 PM
Those little hand bilge pumps work great! ;) My greatest fear is that I will be run over by a boat. Swamping a mile out is a concern but it's not at the top of my list. I've practiced getting back into the yak in water over my head, not an easy task, but doable. I recommend everyone take a 'wet' run. Water temp is a concern and I must admit those seals scare the $#it out of me.

juro
12-20-2001, 12:35 PM
Jim -

I see what you mean about those big horsehead (gray) seals! I was about 1/2 mile out on a skinny flat and a big male decided it was going to play chicken with me one day. it would charge and turn at the last moment, creating a pressure wave of water as it rushed toward me. I felt as vulnerable as a lamb in a lions den.

Do gore-tex waders come in kevlar? :eyecrazy:

Eddie
12-20-2001, 01:11 PM
A self rescue doesn't have to be hard. The cold water is dangerouse and a wet suit comes in handy when practicing.

pmflyfisher
12-20-2001, 06:25 PM
Joev,

Just need some names of the manufacturers or web sites of vendors ?

Eddie
12-20-2001, 10:13 PM
www.paddling.net and there is a good one called Kayak Fishing or something like that. Look it up on google.

joev
12-21-2001, 07:40 AM
Pm This site is for SOT yaks SOT YAks (http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/)
The one EDdie gave ya is also great
joev