funniest or weirdest thing landed on a fly rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: funniest or weirdest thing landed on a fly rod

fish-head
12-18-2001, 06:00 PM
2 Years ago while fishing out the mouth of the Elk early in the season before the word got out that the Salmon were coming in . We hitting some nice fish , I kept lining something kept thinking it was bull kelp . After the 4th or 5th time I finally got it . I started to strip my shooting head in , when I could see something black .It looked like it was going up river ,still not knowing what I was in for . Soon as I got about 5' in front of me I could see it was a quick release from a commercial boat .It started to take line out , yelled at my buddy to come help me , he thought I was telling him a story , probably thought I wanted his spot , because he was on a fish almost at every other cast. Finally got a hold of this rig , dropped my rod into the sand . Then the fun started , 25lber came out of the water with me on the other end of this charter boat line . The race was on , I am running up and down the beach with this fish . The few guy's that were down there that day were dying laughing at me . finally realizing that it was at least 40lb charter boat line , I turned it into a shallow pool and landed it .Still have the quick release for a memory that I will never forget . Fish-Head:hehe:

mayflyman
12-18-2001, 10:50 PM
I hooked and released a snail; muskrat; 3 snakes, 1 sea gull and myself.

fredaevans
12-19-2001, 05:20 AM
For the muskrat I can guess, but did the snake(s) show a preference? Slow strip?:devil:

juro
12-19-2001, 07:15 AM
I had a 400 pound seal pursue, inspect, and take a sand eel fly! Didn't land it though so I guess it doesn't count. Also clams, crabs, sea cucumbers, jelly fish, grass shrimp, seagull, skate, snail, ratfish, dogfish, and sea robins - all landed. :chuckle:

Penguin
12-19-2001, 09:58 AM
...Coney Island ringfish...

Adrian
12-19-2001, 12:18 PM
Sea Robins, Sting Ray, Frigate Birds, Bat, Sheep, ex-Girlfriend (:D )......

pmflyfisher
12-19-2001, 06:56 PM
clams, sea gull, rubber, large branch which fought for about 5 minutes thinking it was a steelhead or salmon landed and it was full of flies, hooks, sinkers, lures that other fisherman lost,quite a catch, dog fish, sea robin, eels, sweater, sneaker

:chuckle:

fredaevans
12-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Sounds like you've got to be far more selective in your choice of patterns. A "rubber???" Well, someone got 'hooked up."
:devil:

pmflyfisher
12-19-2001, 09:02 PM
Yes some one got lucky that day, but not me

:hehe:

fredaevans
12-19-2001, 09:10 PM
I won't (nor should others) go there. But a couple of 'sites' on the web may help. Private e mail only on this one.
:devil:

And I thought "Crusty" was a 'rogue and a racuntour.' Silly me.

:tsk_tsk:

Steelheader69
01-17-2002, 11:15 PM
I'd been fishing toward the mouth of the puyallup. Snagged up on bottom (which is nearly imposible if you know the lower Ppuyallup) and started reeling in. Come to ind out as I lifted the rod up, up came a siz pack of Pepsi still on the webring. This was back when you haad th puush cap, the oneyou had torelease pressure with smaller cap, then hit tehmain release to drink th pop.

The funniest thing I ever caught fought really well. Was fishing the point Pt Defiance as you head out towards Gig Harbor. My sled was hitting the curreent and wrapingaround th point when my rod diped own hard and started pumping. Set the hok and it fealt like the rod tip was pumping. I thought I'd caught eithe a dogfish or som sot of bottom fish. Iit fouught like a slug, kept circlling the boat. First clockwise, thn ater a bit counterclockwise. Everyone was excited in boat as I came up to my leader. Low and behold my hook had hoked into a molusk stuck to a rock. All the croscurrents made it swim and jiggle up and dow as I reled up.

Eric
01-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Years and years ago, when I was but a kid, I was fishing a High Sierra backcountry lake just at sundown. The light was striking the lake surface at an angle such that I couldn't see down into the water, but I could sure see the rise forms in easy casting distance from my rock and I was flinging my Irresistable out there among them.

By and by, there was a bulge at the fly and I set the hook into what I assumed was a pan-sized mountain rainbow, judging from the disturbance. There was some normal resistance right at first, and then my fish was suddenly just not acting right. I couldn't figure out what was going on, but there was an odd pulsing sensation on the line and the fish, obviously heavier than I'd originally assumed, was coming in amazing easily. After drawing the thing in close enough so that I could start manuevering it for landing, I was staring hard at the water, trying to see what this fish was. All at once, out of the whorl of its thrashing, comes this tiny little hand waving forlornly in the air. "My god," I thought, "I've caught the White Rock Nymph!"

No such luck. Turned out to be a frog. The only one I've ever caught on a No. 14 Irresistable.

Nobody's mentioned bats. I've hooked dozens of those.

Cheers,

FrenchCreek
01-18-2002, 03:25 PM
Traveller sedge hatch on a remote "hike in" BC lake, The trick is to cast to the sky at sundown and try to get a Bat to pick up the fly and then bring the bat in... caught, retrieved and released only one in over 200 attempts... Gives new meaning to Tower Casting!

Same lake, early next morning, fishing from shoreline when a juvenile black bear decided he wanted to swat at my sedge imitation. I had not seen him come out so I guess it irritated him each time the backcast went over his head. Became aware of his presence when I hooked him, he took off to the woods and I headed into the lake, waiting for mommy bear to come out. Thank God she never did show or else.....

peter-s-c
02-03-2002, 03:49 PM
This a fun thread for a Sunday afternoon - OK, on the salt, a crab that was big enough and pissed off enough to require my needle-nose pliers to remove, a clam plus I got rammed in the heel a few times by horseshoe crabs. That makes you think while waist deep in the sea.

Caught a boomerang shaped stick that fluttered all over the place and had the colour of a walleye - had me real excited for a while.

Came within a hair's breadth of catching a huge beaver (it came up and sniffed the fly.) It would've been a tussle as I only had a 2 wt. rod. I've caught and landed a seagull (a midair hookup), a few frogs (accidentally) usually while standing around talking with my fly close to the surface.

Snagged and retrieved an almost complete salmon skeleton once - took a while to live that one down.

Moonlight
02-17-2002, 09:14 PM
A persistent old tale I hear from time to time is one of Alec Jackson hooking a Grey Whale in Puget Sound while fishing for the resident Coho. I must remember to ask him if it actually took place.
On the other hand I did see Harry Lemire hook a Beaver on the Dean! It came up right ahead of his skater and got itself summarily snagged. While probably not an altogether pleasant expierence for the Beaver everyone in the camp pool had a good chuckle at both particpants.

Chris
02-28-2002, 07:42 PM
A Maine brown bat on a light cahill at dusk. Talk about getting the willies. :eek:

tackleman
03-05-2002, 11:53 AM
While beach fishing for coho I had just launched my presentation cast and looked up-beach to see a small flock of Canada geese low and in full flight heading my way. At the moment I had finished the mental time and distance calculations I 'hooked up' on one of the geese. I don't imagine I'll ever experience flyline and backing disappear as quickly again. My attempt to palm the reel nearly broke my thumb but it did cause me to break off the goose. When I finally retrieved my backing and line the tell-tale curly on the leader indicated the goose was still wearing my fly. The handle post on my Islander remains slightly bent to remind me of that event.

MCorder
09-15-2002, 06:57 PM
:eyecrazy:
Hooked a gator while casting to redfish south of New Orleans. Fought really well until it turned defensive and charged the bank. Luckly it was a little 2 1/2 foot.:smokin:

John Desjardins
09-15-2002, 08:37 PM
Funny this topic should resurface. This morning I caught a big Dragon fly. It flew down and picked an adams off the surface. It could lift the tippet, but not the line.

juro
01-01-2003, 08:24 AM
For you cohocola!

Quentin
01-01-2003, 02:13 PM
One memorable "catch" was the decrepit remains of an old .22 Winchester rifle that I pulled out of Woods Pond on the Housatonic River.

I also caught a great horned owl while night fishing with a topwater buzzbait. The owl swooped across the surface and grabbed the lure right off the top of the water. It was like fighting an airborne fish -- pulled out my drag and everything! I "landed" it and cut the line as close to the owl as I dared to get. The line was just wrapped around its foot, it wasn't hooked, and it was only 6 lb test so the owl was probably able to untangle itself the rest of the way. I've seen an owl at the same spot several times since then, so I believe it's the same one and was released unharmed. I even managed to get a photo of the one I saw on later occasions:

SDHflyfisher
01-27-2003, 04:09 PM
headed home after a trip to roscoe ny and was stopping at differents stops along the way. my uncle decided to walk be hind me and regreted it hooked him right in the neck. lucky for him all of my hooks are barbless.

bms
04-03-2003, 05:53 AM
A few years as the light began to fade I cast to what I thought was a tailing trout and on the first cast I had a solid hookup :D Once the fight was on, I realized something wasn't right . . . it turned out to be a water rat :mad:

Roop
04-03-2003, 05:57 AM
An almost brand new anchor complete with chain & line.

DO dogs in the backyard count?

bms
04-03-2003, 06:03 AM
Do Lizards count, I have caught many of them.

They are so easy to catch :D

Best Regards
Paul
www.bitmaster.com.au/software/

flyfisha1
04-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Painted turtles and one purple martin.

BirdFish
04-03-2003, 12:29 PM
I was with a friend fishing on the Sheepscott River in Maine when he hooked and landed a 5 lb. sturgeon on a clouser. Fought like hell
Dave

KerryS
04-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Personally I haven't caught much of anything of interest except another fisherman and a steelhead once.

My wife caught a nice 8 foot spinning outfit once. Which isn't rally all that interesting or funny in itself. But the weekend prior to us fishing this particular lake someone had drown in it. My wife swore this was that poor unfortunate soul's rod and reel. She would not touch the thing. Much to her chagrin I still have the outfit in our garage and to this day she will not touch it nor does she like to look at it.

sinktip
04-03-2003, 01:29 PM
I too have had the misfortune to hook a beaver. I think this tale is told elsewhere in a post on the forum but the short story is I was fishing at first light and standing 15-20' out off the bank when I see this beaver come out of the woods and enter the water below me. He starts swimming upriver right at me and when he gets within 20', I slowly reach for the disposable camera I keep in my vest.

All the while I have 80' of speyline, leader and 1/0 fly hanging downriver. Just as I raise the camera to snap Bucky's picture, he spooks and heads across the river. Well you can guess the rest. There is Mr. Beaver, I told you he was close to me :D , headed across the river with my fly line hooked under his chin. There is a huge V with the one leg of it, the one with the hook attached, getting shorter and shorter by the second. I am trying to mend over his head but the line keeps getting caught on his nose. Soon, the leg of the V ended and the hook took hold --- Beaver On!

It was a ten weight spey rod and 15# leader so I might have been able to land him. Only took about two seconds though to realize that he would kill me before I got the hook out. Discretion being the better part of valor, I straight lined him and "tink", he was gone.

I have also hooked and landed birds, a bat and a large chinook carcass that was hooked in the corner of the jaw. A few years ago in the salt, a buddy hooked and landed the head off a large chum salmon. We all explained to him that he needed to set the hook a little softer if he wanted to get the whole fish.

:chuckle:

flyfisha1
04-03-2003, 01:37 PM
Reading this thread, I was reminded of a hilarious account of fly "fishing", but for something other than fish... this is borrowed from an old thread, applies well to this one...
"Many years ago when in my twenties and a serious runner I was out on my daily 10 miler near Livingston MT. I was running along a path on one side of a raised rail road track. This track was raised about shoulder high and as I ran noticed a couple of kids heads on the otherside of the tracks. They had fly rods and looked like they were fishing but I knew there was no creek or irrigation canal over on the other side of the tracks. All of a sudden I hear this reel start to sing and notice one of the kids has this bent fly rod raised above his head as line screems out of the reel. So I climb over the track to see what's going on and this kids line is going directly down in this hole in the ground about 30 or 40 feet from where he is standing.

So I ask the kids what in the hell they are doing and they look at me as if I'm nuts for asking and say, " Gopher fishing what else"!

I watched them do this for about a 1/2 hour and what they would do is make a noose in the fly line, lay it over a Gopher hole and stand back about 10 feet from the hole. Then they would wait for the Gopher to poke it's head up and when it did the kid would set the noose around the gophers neck or body just like one would set the hook on a big striper and yank the creature out of the hole. The critter then would make a mad dash with many of crazy jumps and flips to the next closest hole in it's sight, usually about 40 or so feet away. I'll tell you those little flea bagged critters could destroy many a drag on all but the best reels made. What a thrilling experience for the fly Gopherman.

Once the run was over and the Gopher made it into the next hole the fight reminded me of fighting a Tarpon after the 1st run and series of jumps. Down and dirty trying to pull that critter up from the bowels of the earth.

Won't get into how a Montanan releases a Gopher because you got to understand the culture of gophers and kids from Montana to understand it's not C&R.

A true story and a perfect way to test how much balls your drag can handle.
Latter
OC"
:tsk_tsk: :eyecrazy: :chuckle:

flytyer
04-03-2003, 11:41 PM
Love the gopher fishing story, and from the 12 years I spent in Monatan it is very easy to picture a couple of Montana kids doing just this sort of thing.

The strangest thing I have caught on a fly was an eel in the Lehigh River in Pennsylvania. I was night fishing with flies for big browns with a good friend on a nice warm, moonless early August night. We had been fishing for about 2 hours with little to show for our efforts when I had a jolting "strike." I set the hook, truth be known the eel probably hooked itself. I make a good loud shout about having a big fish on and it started taking out line. Strange thing was it was very difficult to get line back on the reel, it felt like the big fish was pulling against the line and swimming backward!

My friend grabbed a flashlight from the back of his vest so he could see how big this fish was, for it had to be monstrous with how hard it was fighting. We finally got a look at my "trophy fish", and it sort of looked like there was a very large snake on the end of my leader. Upon a closer look (after good old adrenaline fright), we could see the "snake" had a fin running down its back all the way to the tail. That is when it dawned on us that I had hooked a fair-sized eel.

We knew there were eels in the river during the summer months on their spawning run up the Delaware and then up the Lehigh; but we never would have thought that you could catch one on a big wet fly while night fishing.

extmtbiker
04-04-2003, 07:13 PM
I was fishing olallie lake and I caught a salamander!:D