Saltwater Fly Swap [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Saltwater Fly Swap

Hawkeye
12-17-2001, 09:55 PM
Who's up for a saltwater fly swap?

Say up to six flys, due by March 1st and mailed back to the participants by mid March.

I'll volunteer to meister if I can get some help with digital photography.

Participants to date (12-20-01)

Hawkeye
Striblue
Doogue
Sean
Nick
BirdFish
Eddie
Dble Haul
Doug
Jim W
SaltyDog
Juro
Tod D
French Creek
Adrian
D Fix
Shadfreak
GregD
BCasey
GregO

For a grand total so far of up to 120 flies!!!!:cool:

Hawkeye
12-17-2001, 10:06 PM
BTW, I am somewhat ashamed to admit it but I didn't keep track of how the swap flys I recieved produced for me with one exception - I had an awesome day with Doug B.'s clouser - catching multiple keepers up to 36" at the Crib last July.

Does anyone else recall how thier swap flys worked out?

striblue
12-17-2001, 10:15 PM
Hawkeye...you know I am in.

doogue
12-17-2001, 10:40 PM
I am in too...who knows what I will tie but I am in...with both feet.

sean
12-17-2001, 11:00 PM
Hey can a northwest guy get in on this? I have a pattern I use for candlefish (in your parts sand eel) that I think would do OK over there.
Plus i could get a look at some some patterns for my trip out there in June.

What sizes are sand eels over there? Ours range from 2" as juveniles to the largest I have seen around 4-5". I have a feeling yours are much larger but can beef up my patterns to accommodate.

-sean

Hawkeye
12-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Of course you can get in it Sean. We're a world wide concern here so if you fish the salt and tie your own then you are welcome to join the swap. If some of the flys you get aren't applicable in your corner of the world then you've just got one more reason to check out another corner. :)

Nick
12-18-2001, 08:22 AM
I'm in. We get sand eels to 10" here. Only seen them in one magical place though.

BirdFish
12-18-2001, 09:18 AM
Count me in for the fly swap!
Dave Williams

Eddie
12-18-2001, 10:16 AM
me too. I'll do a crease fly.

Dble Haul
12-18-2001, 11:25 AM
I'm down with that. :cool: It will probably be something pretty simple. I especially like the March deadline. That provides enough time to complete the other two swaps that I'm in.

I didn't realize that joining this forum would be so much work! :hehe:

doug
12-18-2001, 12:25 PM
Gregg,
What color and size clouser was that?
If I tied something that worked, I need a few more for myself!
Doug B.
Multiple keepers?! Go ahead...rub it in! :)

JimW
12-18-2001, 04:36 PM
I'm in for 6 of who knows what. Gotta love that time line. What to Tie, what to tie?

saltydog
12-18-2001, 05:17 PM
COUNT ME IN!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN":smokin:

juro
12-18-2001, 07:14 PM
Count me in! Thanks Gregg, looking forward to it. If you want me to do the image scans just let me know.

Tod D
12-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Count me in too.

FrenchCreek
12-18-2001, 11:18 PM
I'm in Hey!

Adrian
12-19-2001, 12:14 AM
I am in and looking forward to it!

I'll do six Monomoy flatwings.

Hawkeye
12-19-2001, 10:33 AM
Doug,

The clouser was olive over white with some krystal flash in between. There is a pic for it in the archive of striper (etc.) fly patterns board in the thread titled Doug B.'s fly swap entry dated 3-10-01. That day at the Crib they wanted a little more flash than my subdued version and your fly was just the ticket. If I'm not mistaken that is also the day I had a striper do a salmon like leap upon hook-up.

Juro,

Thanks for the help offer. Do you have a digital camera? If not then I can go with conventional film and do the scanning etc. myself. I just thought with digital I can make sure the shots come out right away rather than waiting for development.

All,

So any other recollections on how the swap flies from last year worked for you?

DFix
12-19-2001, 11:28 AM
Might as well jump in here. I hope someone other than I is keeping track of my swap commitments:eyecrazy:

shadfreak
12-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Count me in on the fly swap I love to see other peoples flies and I've had good luck fishing them.

Larry

GregD
12-20-2001, 12:37 AM
Count me in too Please.

Greg.

bcasey
12-20-2001, 09:28 AM
I,m in. I did not have enough confidence in my flies until I hit the flats this past season, now, LET'S SWAP!

grego
12-20-2001, 01:32 PM
I'm in for six.

Epoxies, Crease, or Baby Bunker, Hmmmm

BTW: I caught on several of last year's swap flies. Doug's PI deciever, Big Cat's white feather red-head deal. Also caught my only summer flounder on a grey Craft-fur deal by I don't know who?

Hawkeye
12-20-2001, 04:13 PM
Glad to hear of your great swap fly success Greg. I wish I had kept better track - I will this year.

pmflyfisher
12-20-2001, 08:03 PM
Impressive the number of salt water fly fisherman now on the east coast. When I left NJ in 1979 (business transfer to South Bend, IN) I was just getting into saltwater fly fishing for stripers and blues in the NJ surf, Island Beach State Park area. The surf fisherman thought I was crazy then, don't remember ever seeing another fly fisherman back then in the surf. It sure looks like it has developed over the last 20 years though.

May be going back to NJ this summer and will try it if I do, I am sure I will be able to use some of the patterns posted from this swap.

I am in the steelhead fly swap so will not be able to participate in this one but will use the information gained through the patterns posted on the site.

Thanks.

broche
12-21-2001, 09:45 PM
I'd be happy to participate as well. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Bill Roche

juro
12-22-2001, 10:36 PM
BTW -

Gregg, I'll cover the digital images. Looking forward to it!

Hawkeye
12-23-2001, 10:00 AM
Excellent! Thanks Juro.

grego
12-24-2001, 11:51 AM
Hawkeye,

If people want to email me Picture & Recipes, I will host them on my Web-site & put a link on the board.

BTW: I'm almost done with my Epoxies. I Decided to go with the Fly that was my Real "Go-To" fly, I caught a lot of fish on these things, including my First Albie on the Fly!

juro
12-24-2001, 11:59 AM
GregO -

Thanks for the offer to host the pics and recipes on your site but we should be all set now with image uploading, etc. The recipes and images will be found in the striper fly archives after the swap, same as we do with with all fly swaps.

Almost done?!? Man I'd better get crankin'.... :rolleyes:

grego
12-24-2001, 01:01 PM
I'm not happy with a few, so I'm going to redo a couple. e.g., Front Right is too Wide.

http://people.ne.mediaone.net/logo1/epoxy6.jpg

striblue
12-24-2001, 01:11 PM
Grego... they look great.. I am not sure which ones I will do... maybe the same type but with Marabou tails... I still have to do the steelhead swap also.. and need to get the right hooks.http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/otn/holiday/hert.gif

Adrian
12-24-2001, 01:42 PM
Nice looking set Grego - wow you're really on the ball!

John, I was just thinking about the right hooks and realized having signed up for the trout swap that I didn't have any. Its been years since I tied anything smaller the a size 6 crazy charlie.

Fortunately the Orvis shop in Manhattan was open this morning.

All I have to do now is remember how to tie something about 1cm in length :D