old fishing stuff [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: old fishing stuff

timwatts
12-16-2001, 07:35 AM
Don't know if I am doing this picture thing right. But if I do you should see a picture of a stone sinker made on the banks of the Kennebec about five thousand years ago.

striblue
12-16-2001, 09:56 AM
Thanks Tim... I love stuff like that.. where did you get it? Is it stone? Must be.

juro
12-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Amazing! I'll bet the river has just teeming with fish in those days. Can you imagine hooking a sturgeon on a hand line? :whoa:

timwatts
12-16-2001, 10:41 AM
John,Found it a half mile or so above Augusta at a place we call Sturgeon Point. They were pecked out of small stone's and polished with a great deal of care. They must have been highly valued by there owners because archeologists often found them in ancient graves along the coast and at river sites.

Juro, I can't imagine a sturgeon on a hand line. But I can imagine a kid sneaking into his old mans tackle bag in the wee hours going down to the river and losing a sinker that took dad three days to make. Think they had Time Outs back then.

striblue
12-16-2001, 06:36 PM
Yes Tim... that sounds like it would result in a major grounding...Pun intended.

troutdude
12-18-2001, 05:21 PM
Nice weight. It is a net weight or plummet. I collect local Indian artifacts but havent been lucky enough to find one. A friend of mine found a beautiful stone fish hook on the shores of the Ware River in central Mass. I keep trying to trade for it, but he will not part with it. Anyone else have any prehistoric fishing artifacts?