It's official. We have a count. Let's tie some flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: It's official. We have a count. Let's tie some flies

Steelheader69
12-15-2001, 11:22 PM
Ok, I'm going to post all the names I got off both threads. Then I will post final total and the address you can send flies to.

Steelheader69, NrthFrk16, Rob Allen, Juro, Striblue, Eugene, GB Skunk, fredaevans, Philster, Andre, Doublespey Highlander, Pmflyfisher.

Ok, that makes a baker's dozen. 13 flies from each of you. (Any extra's I'll take as a birthday gift LOL)

Send flies to
Jerry Daschofsky
5085 NE 37th St
Tacoma, WA 98422

Please enclose a recipe with the flies you send. Let me remind you, these don't need to be classics. These can be flies of your own design that either work or are a frankenstein invention you're dying to get out there. I look forward to getting the flies so I can process them.Juro, I'll take the best digital pictures I can of the flies. I asume you want a picture for each flie, correct? Nnot a groupshot. If you guys want, in spring we can do a summerrun fly exchange.

pmflyfisher
12-16-2001, 12:59 AM
OK, thanks then I have a few more to tie for the 13.

I think the due date was January 15th correct ?

It is a custom Michigan steelhead and salmon pattern which has
been effective for me, you want find it in any books. Thats the beauty of fly tying. Designing your own and then getting results with it.

Steelheader69
12-16-2001, 02:26 AM
I'd like to set the deadline to have flies to me at Jan. 15th. This should give peoeple plenty of time to get soom tied up and send to me. That's exactly one month from now. The sooner I get them the better.

Anything I forgot Juro? I've never done one of these before.

fredaevans
12-16-2001, 05:37 AM
Gad Jerry haven't heard that term for a few years. The name count (including the readers) came to 13. Do you really mean send you 12?
fe

Steelheader69
12-16-2001, 11:47 AM
I do believe you had saiid that we send in the total amount (including ourselves in the trade). Thaat as my understanding fred. Plus, it will make it much easier for me to sort out. That way I can just sort iinto 13 piles and ot try to keep them seperated per tier. As of now you'd get one of your flies back, but it beats accidtaly sending you wrong paackage with without a fly.

fredaevans
12-16-2001, 08:24 PM
Looking forward to getting my 'post Christ's Mass holiday. Bench, and floor below are already littered with 'not quite good enoughs.' Not a world class tier by any stretch, but the buggers do hook fish.

Think (on occation only!!) Joan may be right about my powers of concentration. There, or not there at all. Fishing for a short while this morning and hooked up with Nate and his oldest son. I'm spey casting, he's single handing and (at the time) re-rigging his sons float rod.

Watching line and hook hangs up at end of cast, line bows so 'set the hook.' Zip. And Nuts! And reel in a bit of loose line and start waiding up stream a bit to get a better angle on popping fly loose. About 15'ish steps up stream and (Dah! is another way of spelling Fred) realize line is "following me."

About a 10# Coho on a #10 Prince Nymph; go figure.
fe:smokin:

Nate Bailey
12-17-2001, 01:30 AM
dang this sounds like fun, Ill have to keep my eye open for the next time yall do this. I want one of them coho catchen prince nymphs, first the ugly bug then the prince, whats the world coming to cohos dont bite nymphs:eyecrazy: .....Nate

pmflyfisher
12-17-2001, 09:14 AM
Nate,

Never underestimate nymphs for all fresh water species. I grew up fishing them in my teenage years for Catskill region and North NJ trout. I have caught just about every greatl lakes salmon and trout species on them including 20+ pound king salmon, and cohos.

If I had one type of fly to fish for the rest of my life I think it would be nymphs for sure. Give them a try.

Prince, Zug Bug, Stone Fly, are great choices. Plus many of these are really easy to tie your self. Not the stone fly though that is more involved.

Plus just the word nymph reminds me of a couple of old girl friends, fond memories while in a cold michigan river I can assure you.

Good Luck:

devil:

juro
12-17-2001, 09:22 AM
Sounds great! Just a reminder, we want to get good images of all the flies to go into the archive. You don't need to include the recipes right now cause you'll put the recipe up next to the picture in the archive board.

Jerry, if you need any help getting the images done let me know, and most of all...

THANKS!

(don't forget your fly for the swap meister!)

Originally posted by Steelheader69
I'd like to set the deadline to have flies to me at Jan. 15th. This should give peoeple plenty of time to get soom tied up and send to me. That's exactly one month from now. The sooner I get them the better.

Anything I forgot Juro? I've never done one of these before.

Eugene
12-17-2001, 11:51 AM
Jerry,
Is that 13 of the same pattern or a mix totalling 13?

Nate Bailey
12-17-2001, 02:48 PM
Pm FLYFISHER
I know nymphs work , I caught a 15 lb coho last weekend on a ugly bug, its just funny.....Nate

pmflyfisher
12-17-2001, 03:06 PM
Great, whats an Ugly Bug that must be a PNW pattern.

Steelheader69
12-18-2001, 12:15 AM
make all 13 the same. it makes the fly exchange easier that way, we can get a standard type of fly from you.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Steelheader 69,

Mine are in the mail to you this morning.

Thanks for coordinating, looking forward to picking up some new winter steelhead pattern ideas from the group.

Keep tying every one !!!

striblue
12-26-2001, 11:39 AM
I have not started yet.. but plan on the Jan 15 dead line.. I need to get the right hooks and figure out what to tye.

pmflyfisher
12-26-2001, 12:07 PM
Juro will be able to consult on a traditional or perhaps one of his custom PNW steelhead ties I am sure. Surprise us, there are 100's of patterns to choose from.

fredaevans
12-26-2001, 02:45 PM
Will post my flys to you when I get back to Medford.
fe:devil:

juro
12-26-2001, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by striblue
I have not started yet.. but plan on the Jan 15 dead line.. I need to get the right hooks and figure out what to tye.

John -

Let's plan to tie up a few together to get on schedule for this. Most wet patterns use a traditional salmon loop eye like the TMC 7999 or it's dry fly equivalent the 7989 (light wire). Other popular hooks include the traditional Partridge hooks, Alec Jackson Spey style hooks, Daichi, etc. I also use the TMC 200R and muddler hooks a lot in summer. These hooks are available in area flyshops including our sponsors Blue Northern Trading Co. and Concord Outfitters, etc.

Maybe we'll start with a run to some of the shops, grab some lunch and make a day of it.

striblue
12-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Juro..ok.. lets talk about meeting somewhere... I am not sure about a whole day with all I have to do at home on the weekends.. but I could do a morning ,afternoon or evening.. I could even drive out to your place . Let me know what is good for you.

fredaevans
12-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Jerry,

Have all of my flys done but the thought (Please say yes so I have an excuse to use the new Christ's Mass toys!!) of doing a few as tube flys sounded 'cool.'

Your thoughts, or would this just confuse the issue?
Fred:devil:

Steelheader69
12-26-2001, 11:07 PM
You're more theen welcome to tie up some of your flies in tube style. As long as they are the same pattern, just tube versus fly hook.

fredaevans
12-27-2001, 12:45 AM
Cool to have some done as tube flys; I'll even incude the hooks.
:smokin:

Steelheader69
12-30-2001, 05:01 PM
Received Hal's (pmflyfisher) flies yesterday. They're beautiful. I do tie up somthing similar to this, but I'm readyto try them out. May duplicate them and try them new years day when I go out on the Nooch.

Ok guys, I'm waiting...

PS, f thy're al as nice as Hal's, this is gonna be agreat swap!!!

pmflyfisher
12-30-2001, 08:41 PM
Steelheader 69,

Figured you may get them by Saturday, even with the additional controls put in place by government on mail. Let me know of your results, need field test data from the PNW. They work in the great lakes region.

Hal

striblue
12-30-2001, 08:44 PM
I know I am suppose to wait Juro, but I picked up some hooks today.. they were not spey hooks but Orvis #2 Steelhead hooks. I just looked back on the last swap in the Archives and those flies look like salmon flies... anyway I just want to be sure I am on the right track.. My fly has a red marabou tail. with a black chenille body interspersed with Silver flash,, The flash is actually wrapped around the shank with the chenille overlaid... then a larger red marabou neck... it is high tied... not epoxy on the head ,just head cement.. Sorry if I am suppose to wait and just send out.. but I know you have no picture,but is this appropriate. using marabou? I just want to be sure that these type of flies are worthy of such a swap... tell the truth.. my feelings will not be hurt.. I can only learn.

roballen
12-30-2001, 09:32 PM
Mine are all tied I just need to get some new head cement. I should get them mailed this week.

pmflyfisher
12-30-2001, 09:48 PM
Striblue,

That sounds fine. Marabou is used extensively in many steelhead patterns. As they say in steelhead fishing "any color is good as long as it is black". I beleive it, given on color choice that would be it. Probably for most other fish also.

By the way is any one else out there using Sally Hansen " Hard as Nails " finger nail cement for their flies rather than head cement ?

I have been using this for about 15 years and have not had any problems with it. It is a cheaper alternative than the normal fly tying head cement they sell in the stores.

I know that the steelhead do not care. :hehe: :hehe:

NrthFrk16
12-31-2001, 02:44 AM
I guess I'd better get crackin... :whoa: :whoa:

striblue
12-31-2001, 08:28 PM
Finished my 13 today... even though I may tie more after meeting up with Juro... It's just with the Fly Show in two weeks and a number of other commitments I felt this was the weekend to finish them.. I will send them on Wednesday or Thursday from my office in Boston with recipes. Now to the saltwater Swap.http://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/contrib/edoom/goldfish.gif

Highlander
01-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Steelheader69

Mine are almost done but they will all be different. I hope this is o.k, since I read make them all the same it will be easier that way.

Brian

fredaevans
01-01-2002, 11:40 PM
Been using this for years for head cement. Also, test drove the 2002 fishing lic. this afternoon. The first fish hit so hard (twice) the first wack did the initial hook up the second wack with the head shake popped 8# Max. ultra main line leader. Never saw him.

Second fish was very good for dinner. Wife has photo's to prove it.

Both on the 'body bag.'
fe:devil:

Steelheader69
01-02-2002, 09:39 AM
I know you're almost done, but I do ask that the all be the same fly. Thaat way we all get the same fly from you. I'm goig to have a hard enough time getting 13 divied up with recipes and pictures. Add a complete 13 different lot to tehprevious 12 and I'l go bonkers. LOL. The hook sizes don't have to be the same, but I do ask the flies aare.

Thanks Jerry

juro
01-02-2002, 09:56 AM
Just to relieve your task a little, you won't need to do anything with the recipes. Once the images are up on the site, people just post their own recipes in the part of FlyTalk called "fly archives" right under this board.

Hope that takes a little pressure off :)

Steelheader69
01-02-2002, 11:54 AM
With the long hours I've been putting in at UPS last couuple weeks and being a total veg on weekends I'm way behind on my duties (housewise and tyinngwise). Luckily I got all my swap flies doen pretty quick. But I still have a few dozen flies to tie up for friends and about 100 or so jigs to tie up for winterruns for my buddies. Just backlogged. Luckily I did get som fishing time in yesterday. Took my sled out and had a couple on. Didn't use the flyrod much though. Fishing boondogging water most of the day. The good flywater was PACKED with boats. Had to change my plans andhit the mouuth of the Nooch instead of middle above black crek. Was good day, I was fishi and you can never complain about a day on the water.

Well, today is my anniversary day, an I ge a paid holidaay from work so I get to stay home and have a 5 day weekend. WOOHOOOO. Now iit's time to do all the chores I was supposed to do the last 4 days. LOL

pmflyfisher
01-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the confirmation Fred on the Sally Hansen head cement. I started using it in 1987 and the flies tied over ten years ago still have not shown any deteriotation in their heads and I never recall one unravelling on the river. (I usually lose them on a snag before they can :chuckle: :chuckle: )

Just touched up some of my spey flies with one of SH crimson red colors and they look even better now. have to be careful though using the colored ones though when applying to the head, if you put to much on it can drip into the hair/feathers etc....

I wonder if Sally Hansen Inc, realizes they have a fly fishing market ? (Should we tell them :confused: ) I think not.

fredaevans
01-03-2002, 11:07 PM
Hal, have a very good idea they already know. Too many sales 'out side of San Francisco' to not get a clue.
:D

pmflyfisher
01-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Oh yeah, I know what you mean and I have never been to SF.

Lots of LA trips though, same condition there I think

:smokin: :smokin:

striblue
01-04-2002, 02:48 PM
Jerry... just dropped them into the mail today... I will post the recipes later as was suggested earlier in this thread.

fredaevans
01-04-2002, 03:24 PM
You should get the delivery today or tomorrow at home in Tacoma. I'll post the fly recpt. in the fly tieing board.
fe

Eugene
01-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Hey Jerry,
Mine are on their way. Should get there Friday or Saturday.
Eugene

roballen
01-08-2002, 02:15 PM
Jerry, Mine are on the way today but i forgot to include they tying instructions and my return address I will e-mail them to you. Sorry.

Eugene
01-08-2002, 03:36 PM
I guess I'm unsure of what's supposed to happen now. I was going to hold off on the recipe until a pic of the pattern is in the fly archive section. Jerry, were you going to take pics? Should each of us start a thread now or should we wait?

And while I'm asking questions, how the hell do these face dealies work??? ;) :p :eek: :eyecrazy: Oh, I see...

GBSkunk
01-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Jerry, mine are on their way too.