to fish or not to fish [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: to fish or not to fish

Nate Bailey
12-15-2001, 05:05 AM
Ok heres the question, is the north umpquia worth trying for a winter fish and If so when does the run hit the steamboat area.:confused:

inland
12-15-2001, 05:20 AM
One piece of writing comes to mind that does a decent job of explaining the N. Umpqua's winter fishing: North Umpqua River Journal, published by Amato and authored by John Shewey. I get the impression from John's writing that he almost prefers to fish there during the winter. A River Seen Right, by Michael Baughman, is a great read with a fair amount of fishing information about this great river.

Best advice for run timing, or its yearly progression, would be to call Joe Howell at the Blue Heron. 541-496-0448

William

fredaevans
12-15-2001, 05:34 AM
The Blue Heron also has a great web site that's kept fairly current on the fishing conditions, etc., on the North Ump. It's the only one I seen (initially directed there from the Board).

But 10 minutes from the Rogue and you want to drive 2 1/2 hours one way??? How ever shall we 'reward' such 'Local Loyalty?"
:tsk_tsk:

Actually (toss up with the Kalama?) it's one of the most strikingly beautiful places to fish I've ever seen. But understand 'combat fishing' can be fairly common.
Fred

fish-head
12-20-2001, 12:41 AM
Nate you're killing me where do you live ???????? What is the close'st river to you ????????????:tsk_tsk: :eek: :eek: :eek: fish-head

fredaevans
12-20-2001, 10:41 AM
Friday the 21st the game dept will be 're-cycling' about 1200 summer runs at Modoc Ponds and the Touville boat ramp. For your son's benefit the Modoc/Denmon Bar is a piece of cake to fish. Waders totally optional and he can use a float rod with good success at this location.

If you don't have a key for the game dept gate just go over to their office on East Evans, off hwy 62 and sign up for one. Don't remember any cost when I got mine a couple of years back.

Nothing like a laddie 'in-to' his first steelhead to improve a Dad's Day.
:p

GBSkunk
12-20-2001, 11:19 PM
Here is the link to Joe Howell. http://main.wanweb.net/bheron/
I usually don't fish the N. Umpqua for winter fish till March or April. Most of the time it is too high....often way too high. Go to the USGS stream flow page for Oregon and find the gauge called Steamboat Creek near Glide OR and check the flow. You want it to be at 1500 CFS and dropping for best conditions....which is the only way I'd make the drive. Actually the absolute best way is to call Joe. 541-496-0448.

Edit: The Dogwood Motel, which is right in the best fly section, is only $25.00 per night in the winter time.

roballen
12-21-2001, 02:03 AM
Green Skunk I am curious what runs you fish in the lower fly water in the winter?? I know Upper Baker fishes well. What other areas close do the Dogwood do you like?? Not trying to snake your spots from ya I only fish the North River one weekend a winter and the winterfish move through the system pretty rapidly. I spend most of my time in the Boat pool and Confluence. Also swamp creek if the water is low enough.
I am just curious what runs you think fish well in the winter.?? I can't think of anything on the lower river that would fish well.. Maybe Susan creek? I know the Honey creek runs are a no go as I almost died one Feb in middle honey.

Ohhh i have an idea for a new christmas song!!! well for Umpqua Fishermen..

Station the red hot fishing hole

You know Boat pool and kitchen
rip rap and Famous and
Mott pool and deadline and
Split rock and Burnham.

But do you recalll the most famous Umpqua pool of all

Station the red hot fishing hole
had a very sweet buck.....et
And if you ever saw it
you would even say it shows

All of the other pools
used to laugh and call him names
they never let poor station pool join in any fishing hole games
then one Sultry August eve Joe Howell came to say
Station pool with your Steelhead so bright won't you swing my fly.
Then how the fishing hoples loved him
as they shouted out with glee
Station the red hot fishing hole you'll go down in histoooooreeeeeeee

hmm ok well sorry about that *LOL*

pmflyfisher
12-21-2001, 06:09 AM
Excellent keep that North Umpqua discussion going. Need to learn all I can before planned trip either to here or Wasington Skagit/Sauk area streams. Love the history, scenery, and challenges that river presents.

Merry Christmas

juro
12-21-2001, 10:16 AM
Joe's reputation preceeds him, and I will be sure to stay at the Dogwood when (not if) I visit. It's great that we promote businesses that are worth mentioning but we should also be aware that our relationship with key businesses in the industry is to help each other out.

Please consider approaching the quality businesses you support with your hard-earned money by asking if they'd support us with an ad. This is how we keep the lights on and reward members for writing stories, organizing conclaves, or other actions that contributed to the community as we did throughout 2001.

Besides, we're the best deal in town! :smokin:

Originally posted by GBSkunk
Here is the link to Joe Howell. http://main.wanweb.net/bheron/
I usually don't fish the N. Umpqua for winter fish till March or April. Most of the time it is too high....often way too high. Go to the USGS stream flow page for Oregon and find the gauge called Steamboat Creek near Glide OR and check the flow. You want it to be at 1500 CFS and dropping for best conditions....which is the only way I'd make the drive. Actually the absolute best way is to call Joe. 541-496-0448.

Edit: The Dogwood Motel, which is right in the best fly section, is only $25.00 per night in the winter time.

roballen
12-21-2001, 12:16 PM
I cannot let this thread go by without saying that there is no one in the fly fishiiing industry that has more credibility than Joe Howell. He is the best man I have every dealt with in any industry. Any trip to the Umpqua is a lesser experience without an hour spent in his shop. I really have no way to explain with words what vsiting with him adds to the experience.
No other angler deserves a steelheaders respect more than Joe none of them!!
I hope that everyone on this board when considering a new rod or reel would consider in spite of any inconvenince calling him and placing an order from him instead of some big shop with lots of choices and inventory.
I also hope that every lover of steelhead has the opportunity to meet Joe in their lifetime and fish HIS river.

GBSkunk
12-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Hello Rob, I like Baker...it's small but it sure is a sweet little bucket. I like Susan and Lower Susan. Lower Honey. I also like the area directly across and above from Dogwood when the water is at the right level. It's private but the owner is a Steamboater and he didn't seem to mind when I fished it. There are others but I can't remember till I'm there and driving it. Basicly I just drive till I find slow water. Soooo much of the N. Umpqua is fast in the winter.

I'm drifting the N. Fk. Nehalem tomorrow. The numbers I'm hearing from the gearguys are unbelievable....102 fish in 4 days.

TL's
Dave