Radio Story [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Radio Story

striblue
12-14-2001, 03:55 PM
On the way to work this morning I was listening to the radio and I can't remember the channel but it was one of the channels with some loud mouths and then oldie music.. So they have this woman on by the name of Jennifer or Jane Clark.. I may have the name wrong and she is a charter Captain out of MV. She rides the tournament circuits from Florida to New England. So she says she caught the largest striper bass this year in Massachusetts weighing something like 72 pounds. When asked what tackle.. she says Menhaden. She also claimed that the 72 pounds was a three way tie. She makes a $1000. a day in charters. Anyway... I guess she did not want to record it with the IGFA because there is no record I can see. The only state records are Freshwater. By the way she said it took her about 15 minutes to bring in.. I am not doubting her but what I want to know is how would she know she caught the largest? Are there State Saltwater records apart from the IGFA.?

Penguin
12-14-2001, 04:58 PM
John...You been listenin' to Howard Stern again?
I wanna' go on a charter with her...she must reeeaaallly know what she's doin'...wanna' split it half way?...you got the bow!

ps There are non-IGFA "state records"...a big deal for the charter boat captain who wants to be a legend in his/her own mind!

Chris
12-14-2001, 06:47 PM
15 minutes for her to haul in a 72 pound striper? What did she hook it on a power winch? She must be a bruiser.( the fish too)

JimW
12-14-2001, 07:41 PM
I think there is a state cup / trophy for the largest in species each year. I know they used to give out pins for a certain weight class in various species. I think it was 10+lbs for a blue and 30+lbs for bass. Maybe it's been done away with to promote conservation?

EMitchell
12-15-2001, 10:29 AM
Striblue,
I caught only a portion of the story you are referring to. Your post reminded me of that she plugged her website... And I remembered it! Anyway here is the link... you can read all about her
http://www.fishasa.com/Default.htm

Erik

EMitchell
12-15-2001, 10:47 AM
Striblue,
I caught only a portion of the story you are referring to. Your post reminded me of that she plugged her website... And I remembered it! Anyway here is the link... you can read all about her
http://www.fishasa.com/Default.htm

Erik

striblue
12-15-2001, 11:31 AM
Thanks Erik... I must be getting grumpy lately... The 72 pound fish is now 48 pounds. She wins $80,000 in prizes and is married to a Martha's Vineyard Celebrity... The American Striped Bass Association seems like a major Conservation group... right... :eyecrazy: Anyway no mention of the way it was caught and obviously it was not released.. I was not aware that there were such tournaments like that one... so.. I just finished watching my new hero.. referred to by Outdoor Network as one of it's "legendary Fishermen"...Non other than Trevor Gowdy... great show... moving manly music... lots of back slapping and three killed yellow fin tuna caught with huge Penn tackle. Trevor philosophizes about Midway Island with a screw ball boat captain... What happened to the good programs. Sorry... the shack Nasties are creeping in... but only today... back to fly tying and the better posts on this forum.http://www.data-techniques.net/cwm/contrib/edoom/toilet_claw.gif

Dble Haul
12-15-2001, 12:42 PM
72 lbs. in 15 minutes? Maybe she was using one of those Berriman spring loaded hooks. Heck, the striper was probably closer to 75 lbs., but weight was lost on the hookset. :p

juro
12-15-2001, 09:09 PM
Nice fish alright - but I sure hope the ocean bass fishery doesn't go the way of the bass kissing freshwater tournaments... at least in the latter they release them after beating them up in the livewell for a day.

I guess we all have our reasons to fish... cash prizes from dead trophy fish aren't on my list of reasons though.

Osprey
12-16-2001, 07:34 PM
Hey John,
How did you get all those wild graphics like the toilet monster and the smiley in the f-16?

:devil:

striblue
12-16-2001, 10:32 PM
Ian.. I sent you a private message... If enough people want it I will post it ..http://www.data-techniques.net/cwm/otn/blobs/grn_md_wht.gif

DFix
12-17-2001, 11:41 AM
The American Striped Bass ASSOCIATION ??

Another tournament trail - another pro-hype sponsorship oriented money trail - :whoa: - makes you wonder how many fish will be taken from the population just for bragging rights :tsk_tsk: