Rio Versitip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Rio Versitip

NrthFrk16
12-12-2001, 04:26 AM
I know many people who saltwater fish think Versi-tip style lines are useless because the loops get caught up in your guides and are just a pain in the ass when you are stripping in your entire line.

Rio, on their two coldwater saltwater Versi-tips are using very small, smooth welded loops now.

Does anyone have any experience with the new welded loops over that standard?? Does it make a versi-tip line in saltwater useful or are they still a pain in the ass??

Thanks!!

If nobody has had a chance to try these lines, I'll see if I get a hold of some demos from Rio's and donate them to the Forum for you saltwater dudes to try out.

btw-:eyecrazy: That new eye thingy is making me very dizzy... ;)

Nick
12-12-2001, 07:20 AM
Ryan,
I have the airflo multitip that I fish in Saltwater. Same style loops. I find that it was worth it since I couldn't afford a spare spool. If I had the choice between spare spools and this line though, I would choose the spare spools. The fast sink doesn't get down as far as a 350 grain head since there really isn't enough weighted area. The intermediate tip is awesome though since it is clear followed by the bright section that is easy to see. I also find that in saltwater, I either fish on the BOTTOM or with an intermediate, thus the mid range sink rates are still in the package along with the floater. Lastly, they are still tricky to change over from one to another. It is easy to change, but hard to put them back into their case when not in use. All in all, the lines are good, but I'm not sure if their worth the money.

Nick

I would be willing to test out the Rio version though....maybe they figured out how to get the fly down with all the floating line behind it.

juro
12-12-2001, 11:07 AM
I'm gonna have to test those lines Ryan. Mail to:

:D

striblue
12-12-2001, 11:20 AM
There is another problem That I encountered long ago before I stopped using them... The constant hitting of the tip top guide can weaken the bond and I have had two broken tips just at the tip top guide connection. This is not an uncommon story.

Adrian
12-12-2001, 06:30 PM
I'm a loop on tip man too Ryan so add my name to the list! Before Rio came out with a purpose made design I cobbled the things up from hi-D off cuts. Cast like an absolute bitch but they worked ok for me. I found that an aqua seal coating over the wraps took care of the loops going thru the tip guides.

As far as smilies go I love this one - kinda reminds me of Mutley :hehe:

NrthFrk16
12-12-2001, 11:59 PM
Juro & Adrian-
I'll order some by the end of the month as that is when I have to have my demo line purchases in by. I am assuming you want the 24''s and not the 15's...am I right??

I'll get a couple of them for you guys to try out...just consider it a donation the Forum. :) Maybe I can get a hat or something as they aren't free but are pretty inexpensive?? ;)

Just let your fellow striper dudes cast 'em and if you like 'em pimp 'em that way they are acting as demo lines so it is totally kosher with Rio. :D

jimS
12-13-2001, 05:32 PM
Rio's 26ft Striper Versi-Tip was used by five of my flyfishing compatiots this season. Here are my observed advantages and disadvantages for this system.

Advantages:
1. Economy. One spool and four heads - intermediate, 250, 350 & 450 grain. A 550 head can be ordered.
2. Running line is intermediate with an abbreviated head to turnover the heads.
3. Small and welded loops on the running line and heads.
4. Heads now have a numeric designator to differentiate sink tips.
5. Heads are density compensated, e.g. tips sink at the same rate as the running portion of the head.

Disadvantages:
1. Loops thru the guides does "rattle" the rod, but is minimal. Oversize guides reduce this irritant.
2. Like all sink tips lines, the head needs to be outside the tip-top to adequately load the rod. This is a matter of one roll cast.
3. Minimum weight rod is an 8wt for the intermediate and 250 grain head. An experienced caster can use the 350 grain.
4. The 450 grain is best left to a 9 or 10wt.

Jim Vincent has developed a winner if you are looking for fishing with one spool. Personally, I prefer his continuous sink tips for that seamless loading and casting.

One additional comment. I used his intermediate line with the luminiscent section for night fishing. It is charged with a flashlight and clearly shows when the head is outside the guides. A great idea that works.

Adrian
12-13-2001, 06:32 PM
Ryan, drop me an email and let me know how much! ;)