stripping baskets [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: stripping baskets

sean
12-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Trying to decide from on two different types:

orvis (http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf%5Fid=1433&cat%5Fid=1&subcat%5Fid=4&Dir%5Fid=758&Group%5Fid=773&feature_id=5)

Here is the second(scroll down to the bottom):

feather-craft (http://www.feather-craft.com/fc2001/page17.html)

I am leaning towards the latter.

Opinions?

-sean

saltRon
12-05-2001, 08:39 PM
Sean --- I had never used the stripping basket before in BC. and during the discussions on same Juro mentioned the cones that are aviable to go into the tupperware tub . Juro very graciously sent me a set and the were installed int the tupper ware dish pan ..[See posts under stripping basket] Works like a hot dam and they will outlast several pans

My .02 saltron

Penguin
12-05-2001, 11:22 PM
...with no wife to threaten physical harm and/or financial ruin, I have no one to blame for "trial/error" except my$elf...
I've tried soft, hard, collapsible and uncrushable...so far my favorite is the latest Orvis offering with the "rod holder" slots.
While the original belt is good, not being one to leave well enough alone, I substituted my own "dive belt" which has a one-hand-quick-release buckle and the material is more rigid and "substantial".
(In my opinion) It's the best so far out of many trials (and error$).
It holds rod/reel while rigging and while resting.
And besides all that, Orvis contributes a sum to the CCA so it makes me feel justified in spending a bit more $$$ since the excess goes to a real good cause!
...and, as Senior Striblue will attest, the rigid sides offer excellent surface opportunities for provocative stickers such as..."Skunked again...What's it to ya!" and the like...

and if all else fails...the "Beach Ninja" and the "Roopmeister...("fishmagnet") use it!
If you can wait, you can try mine next Spring...

juro
12-06-2001, 07:35 AM
Sean -

All it really takes is the rubbermaid dishpan and a web belt and snap buckle, total cost $4-5. That is light, durable, stylish in forest green or white, and you can cut the lip off on the belly side to alllow the side to contour to you.

The fingers make a big diff as you might expect. The latter device has good fingers but I have to wonder what a cross-wind would do to your loops. The position of the device would also be subject to deep wading problems. Personally, I would not use it because of the wind problems alone.

The Orvis basket is ridiculously priced compared to the first option but is the best off-the-shelf option in my opinion. Other designs have their merits too but when applied to all the various conditions from surf to a seat on the beach to sit on, you can't beat it.

Of course if you install fingers into the $5 solution you will have a basket that is just as good as the Orvis at half the cost. I will pick up a set of fingers for you at next month's fly show so you can either opt to spend half the cash -or- build a spare for your S/O when she gets hopelessly addicted to flyfishing like the rest of our spouses :rolleyes:

striblue
12-06-2001, 09:32 AM
I agree with both Juro and Pete.. I have the old Orvis without the rod holder and I have had to drill a couple holes in it to allow for water release... I think they cost $40.00 but ,as Pete says I think part of that goes to Trout Unlimited or the CCA.. Also the Cones are Part of the structure ... and it does make a great seat and is curved to fit the torso.. so... I think it is worth it if you compare it to the cost and time it takes to make one... If you make your own you would probably save ,maybe $20 in all. By the way, I have "Skunked today" on it, not the other quote.

Dble Haul
12-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Sean- I have a third type that you didn't mention, perhaps because you aren't interested in it. It's the Kennebec stripping basket, which has a soft mesh bottom and a contour that easily adjusts to your body. A pair of monofilament tongues are hooked into the bottom mesh to prevent tangles, and since the bottom is mesh there is no water accumulation. Some people don't like this type because it has a rather soft feel, but for a tall thin guy like myself this is the way to go.

They're available through most major dealers, including Cabelas and LL Bean.

juro
12-06-2001, 10:11 AM
I also have the Kennebec mesh and I love it in all circumstances except for deep wading. Once you deep wade with anything other than a solid basket the water agitates the line and it tangles. The Kennebec is my absolute favorite basket on a boat, unless it's a flats boat which is a huge, beautiful stripping basket :)

I devised an addition to the Kennebec that solves the deep wading problem. If you're interested I'll email you Dble Haul.

Lefty
12-06-2001, 10:28 AM
I also use the Rubbermaid dishpan for $4.50.
It's about 6" deep, 16" wide and, 12" accross.
Then find a spare mylon belt with plastic quick release buckle. Slice 2 vertical holes near the top and by the corners on the part that comes in contact with you. Then for $10, buy the cones.

Lefty

Dble Haul
12-06-2001, 11:33 AM
Juro, I'll take you up on the offer to let me know about your alteration to the Kennebec basket. E-mail or private message will do, whatever is easier for you.

Thanks in advance! :)

saltRon
12-06-2001, 10:12 PM
Just one additional hint re the Rubbermaid basket if you take a heat gun to the side that will be up against your corporate structure it will mold like a wet noodle and stay to the shape that you induce into it

My .02 saltRon

ssully
12-06-2001, 10:48 PM
Home made rubbermaid. Ayup. Damn (cheap) yankees and proud of it.

Kidding aside Sean I made one this year which is about 3/4 size of the standard rubber dub tub and wouldn't trade it for the world. Also make sure if you get one it has a quick release buckle. My first experiment almost drowned me. Remind me to show you the bar in the Merrimack when you get here. Not a place for the faint of heart in the dark and fog with an incoming tide but OH what fish...makes a man live on the edge

FrenchCreek
12-06-2001, 11:19 PM
I never have to worry about them things when I go out to the East Coast. Juro has a garage full of models and other such experimental designs. He is very gracious in lending me one for a few weeks, several years in a row now. Juro, I hope you got the one I borrowed last Sept? I owe you buddy. Next year I expect to be able to use the latest invention of yours otherwise I'll have to do a pilgrimage to the local tupper ware store and that would break the magic circle, would it not?

fisshman26
12-07-2001, 12:10 AM
Hi Sean, I have a Kennebec that I could let you have for cheap from when I lived back east and chased strippers. I have no need for it now that I am chasing Steelies with the spey rod. Let me know. Bruce.

Nick
12-07-2001, 07:45 AM
Juro,
Kennebec solution to deep wading? I'm all ears, if you wouldn't mind cc'ing me on the email to Dble Haul. Thanks! Nick

sean
12-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Hey Bruce,

Color me interested send me a private message for more details about the kennebec.

-sean