Cycle of Life [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cycle of Life

juro
12-04-2001, 11:17 PM
NrthFk looks at a giant chinook carcass that is providing the nutrients that it's own progency depends on to survive in the crisp glacial streams that bless the northwest...

j. mukai photo

fredaevans
12-04-2001, 11:45 PM
Sounds silly, but at a whisker short of 60 anyone under 40 is "young." Very nice young man from his posts and e mails. Life would be be very good if I could accompany him fishing for a few days. Suspect he'd teach me more than a 'thing or two.'

"NF:" Live long and prosper. Dr. Spock.

:>)

NrthFrk16
12-05-2001, 01:32 AM
That picture just goes and shows you why I love fishing rivers...if I am away from them for an extended period of time I go nuts. I love their complex ecosystems, which are visible to the naked eye. I know, I know, marine ecosystems are much more complex then any river but river ecosystems manage to be so complex, detailed and fascinating while being conatined in a relatively small area.

And that picture does not do justice to the actual size of that carcass.

It was nice to see a fish that died of natural causes, that Mother Nature decided it was his time. I counted 3 carcasses of female chinook that were caught, killed (most likely snagged) and robbed of their eggs. The pefect slits from knives informed me of their premature, undeserved and hidious fate. :(

Fred-
Thanks for the kind words!! :) If you ever want to chase after some Puget Sound or Olympic Peninsula steelhead, just let me know!!!

fredaevans
12-05-2001, 08:53 PM
Ryan, be careful for what you wish, as you're wish could come true.
:>)

Love to spend some time on the river(s) with you.
Fred