Winter events in New England [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winter events in New England

juro
12-04-2001, 09:59 AM
Well the frost was on the pumpkin this morning. Just about all thoughts of wetting a line locally for this 'wimp' are gone!

BUT... it's a good time to discuss the winter agenda:

Tying clave - Sully?
Indoor casting clave - Dave Williams, thanks for the note will call!
Rod Building Project - JimW, I'll have the page up shortly
Fly shop sorties
Marlboro Flyshow - get together
Wilmington Flyshow - "
Somerset NJ Flyshow - car pooling?

Look for specific information soon. Need volunteers to help make these happen.

Without winter there would be no spring!

Adrian
12-04-2001, 05:05 PM
Hi Juro

I'll be away for the Marlboro and Somerste shows in January. I will be arround for the Wilmingto show. If you were planning on doing something there I would be glad to help.

Chris
12-06-2001, 08:15 PM
Which Wilmington?
Hey Juro,
Have you given any more thought to another decal? I could just take the logo off the top of the home page and put together a couple of designs around it if the copyright is free to exploit for that end.

Are you having a table at the show again this year?

Will I get a membership renewal request at the end of my year? Hope to begin the dory project soon. I plan to send on a story and photo diary for posting if you feel it is up to caliber. :D

troutdude
12-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to meeting up with my brothers and as many FFF guys as possible at the Marlboro show in January. After the show on Sat night--is that the plan?

juro
12-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Here's what I suggest:

We could do an event per month during the cold season here in New England. Any preferences for tying / casting first?

Ongoing: Rod Building Forum
Jim Whalen will be the producer of a new section on rod building. In this forum a group of members (everyone's welcome) will build their rod and the Forum staff will publish the progress until the finished product. Our sponsors and experienced members will answer questions and provide insights into the project. This project will run through the winter.

January: Tying Clave
Sully, I will contact you about Stony Brook (fingers and toes crossed).

February: Casting Clave
The Reading Indoor Track Facility was perfect, and perfection comes with a price. We would have to get enough people to secure the hall at ~$500 per day. Last year we had no problem at $20 / head which is 25 people. We would have to collect a deposit that would be non-refundable and get that to Dave Williams with plenty of advance notice.

Marlboro Show -
Jan 18, 19 and 20, 2002
Unless we do some fund-raising now, we will not have a booth this year. Thoughts?

(also Wilmington Show, etc)

NrthFrk16
12-15-2001, 09:36 PM
I would love to join in on the rodbuilding but for some reason I am overly intimidated by it. :confused:

Chris
12-15-2001, 10:12 PM
Hey guys hows about a time and place to meet at Marlborough so we can further plan for dinner after?

doogue
12-16-2001, 09:25 AM
Juro,

Do you think that your presence at the Marlboro show last year was worth the money for the table? I suppose that I am asking you if your presence (at a table) resulted in the recruitment of more members or contributors to the Forum - to a degree that you believe adds comparable value to the site.

If so, then I would be willing to contribute some cash ($20) and some face time at the table if we rounded up enough cash to purchase a spot on the floor in Marlboro.

Last year, the Marlboro show marked my first face to face encounter with Juro. The same is true for my brother and for Jeff Borkowski. We chatted with Juro for a while and upon discovering that his knowledge, generosity and amiable nature extended beyond his ever helpful web presence we quickly signed up as members of the Forum. We are not fishing gurus but every contributing member adds value to the site.

So, first of all, Juro - would you want to have a table at the show?

Second - would anyone else be willing to chip in some cash (above and beyond any Forum membership dues) towards the table fund?

For the record, I am also highly interested in the Tying Clave and the Casting Clave and I would be glad to help out in the planning and/or setup/cleanup at either event.

I also hope to meister a clave this year. Hopefully I will be able to get a Block Island clave off of the ground in 2002.

Take care,

Mike

juro
12-16-2001, 10:06 AM
I've thought this through a bit...

Would people be willing to pay an extra $20 to attend fly tying clinics taught by captains, guides, members and sponsors at the show, and have a place to sit, relax and shoot the breeze in the Forum booth?

Please let me know ASAP,

Juro

MarkDoogue
12-16-2001, 05:08 PM
I'll give you $20 regardless, Juro.

I could definitely use some tying instruction also, don't get me wrong. I would be glad to spend some time behind the counter explaining the virtues of the Forum to all that would listen.

I'm still searching for support from suppliers that I deal with as well.

~Mark

Roop
12-16-2001, 05:58 PM
I'm in for $20.

Chris
12-16-2001, 07:19 PM
I hadn't heard of the forum site until I met Juro at the show last year. As time passed and I began taking in the site and learning of its many characters I decided to join. I plan to continue as a member. The camraderie and knowledge of the folks here is outstanding.

If the exposure led to a positive bottom line for the site and you feel it was over all a valuable tool then by all means do it again. I hope that Juro and anyone else that spent time manning the table last year got time to enjoy the show as well.

If tying with friends and seeing the show without having to set up and man the fort seems like a more enjoyable time- it does to me- and the exposure didn't lead to the gains you had hoped then hang with the guys this year.

Either way I'd be willing to help out. Let us know.:D

saltRon
12-16-2001, 09:36 PM
Juro-- If you think putting the table in the show will increase our overall contributing membership I am inn for 20.00 over and above the annual contribution. We seem to gathering aditional regeristations off the net but the inperson thing is worth much more than than the cost of admission.

saltRon:eyecrazy:

artb
12-17-2001, 05:28 AM
:) Juro, Count me in on $20 maybe more, I will talk to my son also. The problem with him might be, he has a weekend job on weekends. What is the date of the show?

juro
12-17-2001, 08:32 AM
Well, if we can get 10 more people or so to be interested in attending hands-on tying lessons (vise and materials provided) in a nice tying table setting at the Flyfishing Forum booth then we can justify a booth.

$20 for semi-private lessons - how can you beat that? :smokin:

striblue
12-17-2001, 08:39 AM
Juro, per our telephone conversation yesterday... I am in and your plan sounds excellent.

Eddie
12-17-2001, 08:46 AM
I'm in for twenty. I might be able to help out on a weekday too.

juro
12-17-2001, 09:58 AM
Only eight more to go!

Some details:

Capt. Stan Mackerwicz ties all those beautiful flies that are on the rotary racks at the Rod Builder's Workshop, and teaches the SW fly tying class there as well as running charters on Vineyard Sound, Monomoy and the South Shore.

Capt Ray - well we all know him already from his contributions to our community! His patterns have been accepted by Umpqua Feather Merchants recently. He charters in the Narragansett Bay area.

Harry Koons - the inventor of the rat's ass and many other proven striper patterns. Harry is the proprietor of Nauset Angler and knows the back beaches like his backyard. Wait a minute... that IS his backyard!

John Morin - President of the Chatham Angler's Club, Bob Pink Jr, myself and others will be offering wrap-by-wrap instruction on our favorite patterns as well.

Keep checking back as the list grows... and I hope you decide to support us at the show by signing up for these lessons!

FredA
12-17-2001, 10:14 AM
I'll contribute 20 bucks to the cause.

Penguin
12-17-2001, 10:20 AM
...Count me in too!
Where do I mail the check?...

juro
12-17-2001, 10:26 AM
6 more... details on the payments will follow, ALMOST THERE!

JimW
12-17-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm in for $20.00

bcasey
12-17-2001, 12:37 PM
Hey, don't forget me. I'm in!:hehe:
:hehe:

juro
12-17-2001, 12:53 PM
THREE to go! Thanks gang, we're almost there.

Dble Haul
12-17-2001, 01:03 PM
Not sure if I can make it to the show, but I'll donate $20 anyway. It seems like a small price to pay for the amount of information that's exchanged on this site, and if it makes a difference then I'm all for it. :D

BARDY
12-17-2001, 02:37 PM
Hey Juro
I would be very interested in chipping in $20.00 for the table and maybe some flytying tips. It's a great idea!

juro
12-17-2001, 03:25 PM
Thanks all! One more to go, I'd say it's safe to say it's gonna be a wrap.

Please keep 'em coming so we can schedule the sessions accordingly. We'll put up a form so you can pick your favorite lesson / based on first-come/first-served, etc.

THANK YOU - Look forward to seeing you at OUR booth!

RayStachelek
12-17-2001, 04:26 PM
Juro-

Talked with Bob Pink about procuring a table at the show last night. If I'm not mistaken, some of the fly clubs in New England are given a space "Pro Bono." This fills the building and promotes visitors to learn the skills of tying, thus buying new equipment, materials, etc. I'm not sure where Fly Fishing Forum fits into the scheme of things, but I would think it's a non profit generating organization.

Might want to check on this. Might be able to save a ton of money.

juro
12-17-2001, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the tip Ray! We can always count on you for advice. I checked with the mgmt but those raised single table units against the wall were taken already. Although the pro bono part would've been great, this way we get a full 10ft x 10ft booth - a place to really sit down and make oneself comfortable.

We'll post more information as time nears. Should be a great time! Still plenty of room in the classes.

doogue
12-17-2001, 05:47 PM
Sweeet!

I knew that we could get a posse saddled up for the show. I am very much looking forward to getting together with you all. Especially since a very generous and altogether excellent friend of mine has bequeathed a very nice vise to me for XMAS.

Now I am more jazzed than ever to get together with you guys, learn a few new patterns, share a few patterns and then buy everything that I need to reproduce the lessons of the day. Tying aside, there is no better crew to get together with and shoot the breeze.

I will be wearing my Fly Fishing Forum hat with pride as I peruse the offerings at the show.

As always, this community is awesome.

Happy Holidays,

Mike

Tod D
12-17-2001, 07:41 PM
Am I it? The final one? Yippee!

Count me in for $20 and some tying.

juro
12-17-2001, 07:57 PM
Great to have you sign up! The minimum threshold was 20, and we've hit it but there is still room for more based on the schedule we are developing and additional captain's/pros who are waiting to confirm.

Thanks!

Hawkeye
12-17-2001, 08:47 PM
I'm in for 20 and I'll take a stint at manning the booth if needed.

DennisS
12-17-2001, 09:06 PM
Juro, I'm in for $20 and a few deep eel lessons. Let me know via e-mail or post as to how to get that $20 to you......DennisS

NrthFrk16
12-17-2001, 11:09 PM
Juro-
I am sure the costs of the Expos that come to Seattle are astronomical (One of 'em isnt taking place this year) to man a booth at one of them or maybe not. If a booth is too much, know of anyone with a booth at the show that would be willing to let some of us FlyTalk members hang around and pimp your site and hand out brochures or something...?

FishHawk
12-18-2001, 05:01 AM
The FishHawk is in for $20.

Nick
12-18-2001, 07:18 AM
Juro,
As I said last evening, I'm in.
Nick

DFix
12-18-2001, 08:46 AM
...still waiting for an address to send the money to:rolleyes:

striblue
12-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Dave.. this will great.... we can give you a microphone and you can lecture on buying stuff and getting away with it at home with the "Dave FiX Techniques". It can be between "lefty Kreh Casting" and "lou Taboury on Stripers".:devil:

Adrian
12-18-2001, 11:19 PM
Sign me up for $20. I can't make the Marlborough show but happy to support the cause!

Looks like this one is really taking off!!!

juro
12-19-2001, 12:21 AM
Thanks for your patience, I just put up a payment page in the latest ANNOUNCEMENT in the striper board.

Looking forward to this! More instructors to be named shortly, the ones listed are still confirming. A signup sheet with specific schedules (date / times) of classes will be provided so you can plan your day accordingly.

We'll need booth attendants all three days as well. I've noted those who have already volunteered and either Roop, John or I will follow up.

This is going to be cool! :smokin:

DFix
12-19-2001, 10:35 AM
John -

My seminar talks require registration and pre-payment of attendance fee as they're so eagerly attended :hehe:

Currently, I am the featured speaker each day, right after the show opens, so everyone can practice my tips and techniques for the rest of their stay at the show :smokin:

Sprocket
12-19-2001, 10:52 AM
I can attest to the quality of Mr. Fix's lectures:
I once made an error in his presence and got my lecture for FREE!:eek:
The information I received has proven to be highly accurate and equally valued by me. $20 is a bargain at half the price, don't miss out!:D

Bob Pink
12-23-2001, 06:19 PM
juro,
Once again a good idea of your has shown it's true merits. I've been out of touch ( actually just sulking as I finally put the boat away for the season. Not bad, April 5th 'till Dec 14th this year :D
).
As we discussed, I'm looking forward to helping out at the booth, (As long as I can listen in on the techniques of Mr Fix ! I'd better start tying again soon to get the rust out b4 the show!