Hey Striper Dudes, Do Us Left Coasters a Favor [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hey Striper Dudes, Do Us Left Coasters a Favor

NrthFrk16
12-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Juro, a few days ago ,had posted an anouncement regarding proposed regulations that would require the release of wild steelhead year round in Washington State, no ifs, ands or buts.

This is very very important to the survival of the greatest gamefish (sorry, its the truth :D) in the State of Washington.

Just follow this link and fill out the form letter. It does not take but 30 seconds. Everyone from the Northwest will be very grateful!!!

Wild Steelhead Release Letter (http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/candrcomment.htm)

doogue
12-02-2001, 12:53 PM
Ryan,

I just read the letter and responded in kind. I have fished the PNW area but not with the intensity that I would most enjoy. Maybe this letter will better guarantee that I can get out there in the next couple of years and enjoy your impressive local waters.

I applaud you and Juro and the rest of the crew for your efforts to protect wild steelhead.

Excellent work. I would be curious to know the final number of letters that were sent in by members of this site. The site represents an effective tool to express our collective opinions on conservation issues and I would like to wrap some numbers around the magnitude of our collective voice.

I know that some Congressmen assume that every letter that they receive reflects the opinion of 1000 constituents so the power of a single letter should not be ignored or underestimated.

Thanks,

Mike

juro
12-02-2001, 01:10 PM
As anglers, we are always claiming to be stewards of our resources.

And dammit - we are! The best thing we can do today is to send this letter. I applaud Bob Ball for taking the action to put this form up on this link and in the future we will put up a similar tool for every case where we can use our voice to follow his example. Perhaps we can recruit their help on striper issues on the atlantic shores, or maybe someday both groups can help petition against exploitation of our gamefish stocks in Europe.

There's no reason why anyone anywhere would hesitate to send our voice on this issue - sportsmen look out for the welfare of the resources no matter where it is geographically located.

Let's all show our brothers in the PNW what we're made of.

fredaevans
12-02-2001, 03:18 PM
"Electronic Stamp" licked and in the mail.
fe

doogue
12-02-2001, 04:14 PM
By the way...I want to emphasize that sending the letter via the link does indeed take less than a minute. Don't be lazy!

jborkowski
12-02-2001, 04:55 PM
letter sent

fliboy
12-02-2001, 05:29 PM
Letter sent. I was actually thinking Steelhead/Salmon when I was out on the left coast this past week. One of the places I want to fish before I go to the great fishing preserve in the sky!

MarkDoogue
12-02-2001, 05:35 PM
I don't think the Left Coast is really prepared for a full on, frontal assault by the idle hands of the East Coast Contingent.

Give 'till it hurts and let your voice be heard.

Dble Haul
12-02-2001, 07:39 PM
Gladly did my part. I haven't pursued steelhead, but there's a first time for everything. Besides, you never know when the East Coast anglers may need the favor returned in kind. Hats off to all involved in this effort. :)

saltRon
12-02-2001, 07:48 PM
Signed my name to the sheet, got an E-Mail reply as well.
Keep hammering them saltRon

NrthFrk16
12-02-2001, 08:13 PM
I must say thanks to all of you!!! For anyone Right-Coaster that sends in a letter they are more then welcome to a guided trip for steelhead from yours truly.

Thank you!!

Adrian
12-02-2001, 10:37 PM
Posted mine today. A trip out to the PNW is on the cards some time in the future. Glad to be able to help. Good luck guys!

timwatts
12-03-2001, 06:33 AM
Just sent mine. Sent one snail mail last week. Give em hell out there.

striblue
12-03-2001, 09:00 AM
DONE!

DFix
12-03-2001, 12:03 PM
Done.

JimW
12-03-2001, 12:32 PM
I filled in the form yesterday. I do admit to being lazy, or at least not understanding the issues required to write an intelligent response. The form is a great way to go and I'll be you will get ten fold the response using it.

GregD
12-03-2001, 09:50 PM
Brandon and I have sent ours in now.

While we are talking about protecting fisheries of sort. Perhaps you guys might do one for use by the Saltwater Fisheries Management or the very resource we all use? I just completed it so I think the would accept more respondents.

It was an interesting survey that will likely be published after June 2002 as a NOAA (National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Admin.) Technical Report. It tests your opinions on many controversial and some tough questions of fisheries management directions, what is important in your experience etc... I think it shows the direction of future management of the Saltwater fisheries directive to put say 15-20 percent of some of our favorite areas aside as fish nurseries essentially, to permit untouched areas for preservation and study. The results have been pretty impressive elsewhere for many species, not only fish.

If you would like to participate in this Saltwater Survey Please contact...

Ronald J. Salz
University of Massachusetts
Dept. of Natural Resources Conservation
Human Dimensions Research Unit
rsalz@forwild.umass.edu
(413) 545-4939 (w)

The results presently can only be aquired by contacting the federal government publication office. They may put a brief summary of the results on the UMASS web site www.umass.edu/hd/projects.html). I asked them to post it on the WEB, perhaps if more asked the would do it for sure.

Unfortunately you guys out west aren't the only ones with threatened Salmon and fish habitats. Much of the east coast Atlantic Salmon fisheries were wiped out years ago in the US anyways. A number of groups in New England have been working with the fisheries people trying to bring them back.

This WEB site about the Kennebec in Maine has some interesting info and facts about their problems and successes. Getting rid of the Dams has been one obsticle. Could you imagine the salmon run on the Columbia River in Washington if those dams where all gone?

http://home.gwi.net/~fks/ksalmon.html

Thanks,
Greg.

NrthFrk16
12-03-2001, 11:05 PM
Greg-
Thank you very much.

In response to the marine preserve issue, there are more and more areas being set aside by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife as marine preserves where no fishing is allowed. I can applaud them (the WDFW) as they have managed to find areas that everyone could agree should be left alone.

When this week settles down, I will certainly look into the survey.

Thanks again!!

NrthFrk16
12-03-2001, 11:46 PM
You guys rock!!

As posted by Bob Ball at 5:49 pm:
"We now have exactly 250 letters of support. Almost as many as we had in the whole campaign last time around, I'll post a note on that when we exceed it
I even received a call from the WDFW today saying that it took two employees all day to cut and paste names, emails, and addresses to a list for the commission.

We're getting their attention! Keep it up, go through those address books!"

NrthFrk16
12-04-2001, 02:01 AM
You folks sure are putting the scare (not to mention pissing off) the whack 'em and stack 'em folks out here. :)

Check it out (http://www.steelheader.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000989&p=3)
(Just scroll down)

Thanks again...

fredaevans
12-04-2001, 04:31 AM
Very interesting reads as you scroll down. With 'modification' it sounded like they could have been discussing the Middle East.

juro
12-04-2001, 08:51 AM
Ryan -

That's really not the intent. The intent is to protect a natural treasure, belonging to the planet , the wild steelhead. If people think of wild steelhead as something that knows anything about state borders, or borders of any kind, then that's a human fault - the fish don't care.

Point#1 - I lived in WA for 12 years, did I lose my right to care when I moved? HELL NO

Point #2 - If other countries were allowed to harvest Washington born steelhead on their pelagic journey across thousands of miles of ocean into international waters, wouldn't all WA have the "right" to contest it? OF COURSE!

Wild steelhead preceeded the founding of our country by thousands of years, and the founding of the beautiful state of Washington, my home state for many years, by a hundred more than that. This idea that anglers (anywhere) don't have a right to care about a gift that nature has given the fisherman "wild steelhead" is ridiculous!

Hell yes we care. Let WDFW know about it, no matter where you live. We care about wild steelhead on our planet.

sean
12-04-2001, 11:37 AM
It will never cease to amaze me how much bad blood this issue has caused among us Washington anglers.

There is nothing like a wild steelhead whether it be on the end of your line or not. They are an incredible fish and I almost enjoy seeing them in the river as much as I do catching them. Hopefully a C&R fishery will help bring these fish back to historical numbers. If it doesn't work though we are staring at a closure of all rivers to steelhead fishing period.

Of course no one wants to see this but without giving C&R a chance we are much closer to a closure of many more rivers than there already are.

It would be a sad thing if steelheading becomes another Atlantic salmon. We will see how these C&R opponents like it when they have to spend a few thousand dollars to get the "privilege" of fishing for a steelhead. If something isn't done soon that will be the only option left.

Yes I believe there are some other issues like gillnets that need to be looked at but we as responsible adults(notice I didn't say fisherman) need to step up. Lets try and protect our 50% of the fish and worry about the tribal fisheries later.

Being selfish has no place in the struggle to save this valuable resource. We all will have to make some concessions in the fight to protect this magnificent resource.

-sean

NrthFrk16
12-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Juro-
I apologize if the nature of my last post came off wrong as the intent was never to make them this angry and I do not want to see it-though the anger they are showing is directly derived from their fear, in my opinion. The angrier they are when the regs are passed though, the less likely they are to conform to them.

It would be wonderful if down the road everyone get along and share the river and her fish and enjoy each other's company doing what we all love to do.

juro
12-04-2001, 11:40 PM
Just to close the loop, I posted the following on their site:

My ears were burnin ;)

As a longtime resident of WA who had to move for emergency family reasons I can sort of see your POV about folks from around the world wanting to cast their vote in favor of C&R for wild steelhead... BUT on the other hand if sport fishermen everywhere have no say in the welfare of wild American steelhead just because of their license plates then why is everyone without NY license plates acting like we have the right/privilege/whatever to be pissed about our brothers and sisters in the WTC and the Pentagon? Because we do.

My point is that wild steelhead don't belong to you or I or any state government or human entity, they belong to the river and if we care about them well that's up to us. Your concerns in similar matters would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - In my opinion the commercial and tribal netters should be subject to the exact same regulations as the sportsmen, meaning their quota could not be caught by indiscriminate means (no gill nets). For instance, they could use weirs to trap their quota of hatchery fish and should be required to release all native fish unharmed. This would solve the problem of "by-kill" or at least reduce it dramatically to trivial levels.

Todd Ripley
12-04-2001, 11:48 PM
Greetings, striper fishermen!

I also would like to thank all of you for your support of the proposed mandatory catch and release regulation for wild steelhead way over here in Washington.

Passing this regulation will be the culmination of a lot of hard work by many individuals and a few diehard organizations.

One of those organizations is the Wild Steelhead Coalition. We have made this our number one priority, putting all other agenda items essentially on hold until this goal is realized. If you haven't heard of us, please either ask Juro or Duggan, aka Sinktip, as they have been active in the Coalition's activities since day one, or visit our website at Wild Steelhead Coalition (http://www.wildsteelheadcoalition.com) .

For those of you who have experienced the adrenaline rush of hooking and fighting a wild spring steelhead in the Pacific Northwest there's no need to tell you how important saving this fish is. For those of you who haven't, I'd put it on my "things to do before I die" list. Jump over to the Steelhead section in FlyTalk and the passion for this fish is pretty obvious.

I hope that we can do something to repay you for your kindness and support some day. I doubt anyone who asked would have a hard time finding a fishing partner out this way for a weekend!

Again, thanks a lot for your help. Tourist dollars to come and fish for wild steelhead comprise a large part of our justification for preserving them, and without people like you travelling here to give it a go, we lose a great bargaining chip in favor of preservation.

Fish on...

Todd Ripley
Vice President and Legal Advisor
Wild Steelhead Coalition

NrthFrk16
12-05-2001, 12:09 AM
Tonights letter count update-
As posted by Bob:
"And the official count is up to 340 letters of support. We had 283 in over a week last time we had a letter push. So we're almost 60 letters up in much less time ..."

Thanks again!!!

btw-Excellent post Juro