Fly Fishing Forum banner

Bahama bonefish trip w/ wife & parents? HELP

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  beach betty 
#1 ·
My wife and my parents and I have been invited to a wedding on New Prodivence Island (Nassau) next year.

My dad recently started trout fishing with me... this will probably be the only opportunity I'll have to bonefish with him... he's really cheap... this will be the first time he's ever been to the Caribbean and probably the last time too.

After the wedding, I'd like us all to go to another island for like 4 or 5 nights, my dad and I fish while Mom and wife relax, snorkel, etc. Don't want to rent a house together... would rather stay at like a small resort where we can be at the same place but not right on top of each other.

I'm intrigued by Small Hope Bay Lodge in Andros (http://www.smallhope.com).... 21-room boutique all-inclusive. Very affordable at $260 per person per night with all your meals and alcohol. Full day of fishing is $425 plus tip... I recall in the Abacos it was $500-600. A couple websites have mentioned Small Hope is a good option if you're bringing non-anglers along.

Any other suggestions? Exumas?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#4 ·
SmallHope Bay is primarily a dive lodge, but they do work with some local guides. Ask for Herman Bain or Bradley Mackey. They are independents who are out on the water much more than (2nd string) resort guides. They'll probably take you up fresh creek unless you specify (and pay extra) to have them take you elsewhere. It's been unusually chilly and fishing was very slow two weeks ago.
Check out snorkeling at the Goat keys in front of the lodge and a blue hole or two while there.

#5 ·
abacos

For what it is worth: In my experience in the Abacos, the places for really good bonefishing (The Marls, Sandy Point) are not good places for non-fishing enjoyment. You could stay on one of the outer cays where the beaches and snorkeling are awesome, but then you have to get back to Marsh Harbour and go by car, then boat to get to bonefish. Green Turtle Cay might be an option, but I don't know it well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.