Not Striper related - but I know this site will be hit more often [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Not Striper related - but I know this site will be hit more often

fliboy
11-29-2001, 12:28 AM
Hi all - in San Diego for the rest of the week.

Anyone have a clue on if there is any freshwater fishing around these parts. I checked with some local saltwater guides and it looks like it's just bottom fishing season - not really into that.

I am open to hit a stream early moring if anyone is aware of anything within an hour of San Diego.

TL,

DaveP

juro
11-29-2001, 08:47 AM
Dave -

There is a very active community of salter FF'ers out in the La Jolla area. I've exchanged emails with them and I am sure they are willing to point you in the right direction or maybe even host you in exchange for a return favor when they are in our neck of the woods.

The venue is yellowtail, bonito, tunoids! From shore around the Del Mar area, there are some opportunities to chase surf perch and drum. If you want to hop on a boat the tuna fishing is real good outside the bay.

Let me see if I can dig up the contact info, otherwise if you're reading this please chime in!

(as far as trout freshwater you would need to head inland into the hills where you'll find water supply lakes that are often stocked)

fliboy
12-01-2001, 04:12 PM
Juro - sorry I didn't see your reply sooner. I actually poked around La Jolla one night, but did not get a chance to check out the water - we ended eating up that way one night. I did hit the surf in the Oceanside area, without a pole, but did talk to several fisherman that were perched on the peer. They were catching Sand Shark and Halibut, and indicated they have caught Bonito in the past. One guy actually fished the surf occasionally and talked about catching perch in the suds.

I contacted a few charters, but didn't find one that catered to flyfishing. They were all targeting bottom feeding fish. One did talk about getting into Bonito or Barracuda once in a while, although he was honest to say that this is not prime time for them.

I will be out that way again possibly in March, so if run across any of the guys or sites that fish around La Jolla, please let me know.

TL,

DaveP