HOw about this one? Any guesses? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: HOw about this one? Any guesses?

Lefty
11-26-2001, 04:37 PM
Where?

Roop
11-26-2001, 05:17 PM
Looks like a standard Big Girl set up but knowing the wiley mind of Mr. Weir it could also be that Plumb Island place I hear so much about...

striblue
11-26-2001, 05:34 PM
Ahhhhh...............the coast.

Lefty
11-26-2001, 05:41 PM
Good guess Roop. Right on the money. Notice the outgoing tide, and the cast is to our left.

Lefty

grego
11-26-2001, 05:42 PM
I say Rhodey 2000!

juro
11-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Ahh the memories! If you took this picture it was probably the day we tripled up on big bass, no?

BTW, the best image width for attachments is ~500 pixels. I am going to set a width restriction at 500 pixels to keep the sides fom blowing out, but I am wondering if it will affect images that were attached prior to the limit?

admin
11-26-2001, 05:54 PM
Lefty -

The 903 pixel wide image has been replaced with a 476 pixel version so the future limit on pixel width (500) will not affect your attachment.

Thanks,
Admin

Lefty
11-27-2001, 10:24 AM
Thanks. I got photoshop at home but you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to do the simplest things. I hate it. I long for the good old days about 6 years ago when there were lots of simple little photo editing/viewing tools like LVIEW. Resizing is painful. Anyone got a simple little photo editor? (BTW:that Kodak imaging program that comes with Windows bites too).

Lefty

Adrian
11-27-2001, 07:21 PM
I've been using Ulead photoimpact this year (came free with the digital camera). Like most tools not very intuitive until I found a great manual in Barnes & Noble. Image re-sizing is about the easiest function - a few clicks - resize by pixel count or % reduction maintain aspect ratio etc. Also comes with a bunch of web authoring tools.

juro
11-27-2001, 07:23 PM
Lefty -

The Photoshop suite comes with a 'sister' app called Imageready

Check it out, it's really easy. To see the image as you would publish to web, just click "optimized". You can adjust the quality and blur factors to bring the file size down. You can change the image size by clicking image->size.

Try it, you'll like it.

FredA
11-27-2001, 07:40 PM
I just use the Microsoft photo editor, image-size, pretty simple. Am I missing something here? Doesn't that come with Windows 95, etc.?

juro
11-27-2001, 09:08 PM
Good point, I guess any tool that allows you to resize, check pixel width and height, and list the file size in bytes will work. Once again the limit for attachments is 500 pixels wide and less than 60k bytes. Most images can be kept under 30k at that size but some just require that super-sharpness to get the message across. You can still use the \[img\] tag to refer to an image on another site, of course.

Cropping is a plus because you can get rid of the extra background areas. Text is a plus too because you can annotate the picture to explain something and/or "lock in" fonts the way they look on your computer within an image (where real text depends on what the viewer has for fonts).

For those who have MS Image Composer, use the save_for_web option to choose which filesize / quality best suits the purpose. I think it came with windows (?)

One more note for fellow Costco fans: their photo counter develops film to CD and on the CD you get thumbnails, files suitable for web use, and mondo big / high res for color reproductions into calendars and prints. You can get them in one hour and you don't need to pay for prints. The thumbnails are on the CD cover. Can't beat it!