Farmington River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Farmington River

Tod D
11-26-2001, 09:25 AM
Fished the Farmington Friday morning between the Bridge & Church Pools. Talk about 'culture' shock.

Arrived around 6 a.m., just as the sky was lightening up. Temperature was a balmy 26, with frost coating everything and bits of ice hugging the riverbank. Start to rig up the 5#. Brother-in-law hands me what looks to be a piece of lint he's pulled from his bellybutton. My mistake, it's a size 24 black, winter caddis. Somehow manage to tie it on to an 8x tippet. Fish were rising sporadically as thick mist rolled off the water into the freezing air.

Between 6-9 the four of us manage to catch & release about 6 browns & 1 rainbow. I contributed a token 11" brown to the effort. As my brother-in-law predicted, 1st fish that rose to my fly (at least I think it was my fly; hard to make out a dust-speck fly on gray water...), caused me to yank the fly clear off the water nearly snapping the tippet.

In between the (rare) fish, my father-in-law and I would have to break the ice out of our guides. Later that morning our friend comments that he'd forgotten to tell us to load up on PAM cooking spray for the guides (mental note for next time...)

Beautiful, if cold, morning w/ tough, tough fishing w/ what were microscopic flies (size 24-28, certainly compared to the 6" snake fly I'd been chucking 3 weeks prior). From 9-11 we couldn't buy a fish, though they continued to rise, albeit randomly.

Left the water to find at least 18 anglers crowded around beneath the Bridge Pool nymphing away.

Nice water. CT does a nice job with their Trout Management Areas.

juro
11-26-2001, 10:12 AM
Sounds chilly yet I envy you for getting out. The last couple of days have been warm, I'll bet it's nice out there today. That's what daydreams are made of I guess.

Roop
11-26-2001, 05:33 PM
There's some beautiful country in that valley.

Last year I turned down a position in the area, living within view of the river was a powerful magnet.

Nice job, sounds like a great time in spite of the chunky fly line & lint flies.