Question for Sinktip [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Question for Sinktip

MJC
11-26-2001, 12:05 AM
Sinktip, In the thread Ryan started about the Sage 8150
you said you thought the 9/10/11 Windcutter underlined the St. Croix 14' 9 rod. In your opinion what kind of weight do you think the St. Croix 14' 9 will handle? Thanks!

sinktip
11-26-2001, 10:49 AM
Let me start by saying I am no expert but I did think that the 9-10-11 underlined the rod. I'm a fan of long bellied lines so I think that the 9-10 Accelerator would be a nice match for the rod. It would also let you lengthen out your casts without having to shoot line. As mentioned before, I have a cutback Accelerator that I fish sinktips on and am quite satisfied. If you are interested, the cut point is 16' off the front.

Good luck!
ST

juro
11-26-2001, 11:04 AM
I fished the St.Croix 14' 9wt with a floating DT 9wt and had a lot of success with it.

I never quite found the right stroke with it using other lines besides the DTF, but I'm sure it was my own impatience. With or without a light tip I was able to work a nice length of DT line and caught a lot of fish on it that season.

I got so addicted because of that rod that I bought three more Spey rods.

:rolleyes:

MJC
11-26-2001, 11:23 AM
Sinktip, Thank you for the reply. On my St. Croix 14' I've been using a WC 9/10/11 which I like pretty good but have been thinking I might like a little more weight even better. I know the WC 8/9/10 is much to light for my ragged casting style. As an aside I really like that Hotpants fly you posted in the Steelhead fly archives.

sinktip
11-26-2001, 02:04 PM
MJC,

Juro's comments on the double taper tell me I was on the right track with going to a longer belly line for that rod. I hope I didn't in any way talk bad about the St. Croix, I much prefer it to the original 9140-4 Sage.

As for the Hotpants, it is a quick tie and has proven a consistent performer on both east and west side summer runs.

Sinktip

MJC
11-26-2001, 03:34 PM
Sinktip,
I didn't think you were talking bad about the St.Croix. It wouldn't matter to me if you did as everyone has differing opinions. I just love my 14 ftr. I've only tried Windcutters so far, maybe Ill try a double taper.