A Story from another board....apologies to the author but you gotta read this [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A Story from another board....apologies to the author but you gotta read this

Striper
11-24-2001, 07:27 PM
I have edited out the previous post out of respect for Howie and his copyrights. For those of you that did get to read it I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. I unfortunately can't remember which board I found it on or I would post a link instead. Again I am sorry if I took liberties not available to me and I am now wiser for it, this is good. Thanks guy's.

Fishinimpossible
12-03-2001, 02:37 PM
A couple of summers ago, I fished the River Moy in Ireland. The ghillies laughed at me when they saw my one handed G-Loomis 10wt. As it happened, I was the only person to land an Atlantic on the 7 mile beat that day. At day's end I enjoyed a pint at the pub in Foxford (forget the name) with those guys. They were spitting black feathers from all the crow.

juro
12-03-2001, 04:05 PM
Mike -

That was a great read, and I admire and envy Howie all at once but did you ask permission to post that? I am no lawyer, no one's making money here and the Forum can't take any responsibility for anything that people post, but I think what people post on the web is their property and not sure what the rules are about reproducing without consent.

Maybe you ought to drop him a line and I will do as he wishes with the great post... let me know what he says.

Anyone familiar with this kind of thing?

Dble Haul
12-03-2001, 04:25 PM
Guys- I have some experience with this and can tell you that the conditions on posting from another website vary greatly from site to site. Some only require permission from the site, some require permission from the contributor, and some require permission from both. I have only contributed to sites that require permission from both copyright holders, and can say that it's very reassuring when permission is requested through the proper channels. The relavant information should be found in the site's Privacy/Copyright/Policies section. This applies to message threads such as the one that we're in right now as well as articles.

That being said, I'm not sure what steps would be taken if something were borrowed without permission.

fredaevans
12-03-2001, 04:39 PM
One quick way around 'copyright' problems on the internet is to use the 'click here' and send folks to the web site. No infringment there.
fe

Striper
12-05-2001, 12:13 AM
Juro,
My intent was harmless and true but as you state I probably should not have done it the way I did and will refrain from doing it again in the future, please take the post off of the board for me and accept my apologies to all for the blunder. I just enjoyed the story so much that I wanted to share it and acted before thinking what else is new. In the future I will just link to things of this nature thus preventing any copyright infringement problems and still allowing all to share. Once again my apologies if I put you or the site in a tough spot honestly was not my intention at all.

striblue
12-05-2001, 10:54 AM
Striper...no need to apologize....Your intent was to share info.

juro
12-05-2001, 11:01 AM
We could ask Howie if he minds... do you have his email address?

striblue
12-05-2001, 12:18 PM
Juro... From a legal point of view it's a technical thing and sometimes does happen.. certainly asking Howie would cover the board... he is not likely to have a problem with it. If you want you can continue this with me by Phone or e-mail we can discus it.

sean
12-05-2001, 12:31 PM
Can we not just edit the post and replace the story with the link to the story? Seems the easiest option to take care of this.

-sean

striblue
12-05-2001, 12:56 PM
Yes... perfect... if we do that then we have corrected a potential issue which goes to demonstrate our intent.. good.. we should do it.

juro
12-05-2001, 01:32 PM
In any case, it was a great read. Thanks Howie.