Official Fly Swap signup [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Official Fly Swap signup

Steelheader69
11-23-2001, 12:31 AM
Ok, here it is. Sign up below if you want to do this exchange. I'd like to get a solid headcount by the end of November. In fact, what you can do is start tying up some of your flies now. That way when the date comes you won't have to hurry to get flies done.

Just in case some of you may have not seen the other post. I'm organizing a fly swap for winterrun steelhead flies. Preferably original flies. It's ok if you only want to tie up skunks, or polar shrimps. Just figured it would be nice for all of us to see some effective patterns you may use. So, come one, come all and sign up.

Well, I'm in. NEXT!!!!!

roballen
11-23-2001, 12:39 PM
count me in!! I'll probably do something with hackle tip wings..

juro
11-23-2001, 01:43 PM
I am in, as mentioned before but to make it official - that's three so far.

Eugene
11-23-2001, 03:28 PM
I'm in -- someone has to anchor the left leg of the fly-tying skills bell curve.
Maybe I'll tie some heavily weighted ugly bugs for Rob ;)

Philster
11-23-2001, 08:53 PM
I'm in!

Steelheader69
12-02-2001, 08:48 PM
We need some more people to sign up. If we don'tget anymore, would any of you be willing to tie up multiple patterns? Say, we only get 5 people who want to exchange. If we all send in two patterns, that would only be 2 patterns and a totalof 10 flies. That way we'd have soome diversiity and still haave some vaariety.

So comme all you expert and novice tiers. Let's doo a fly swap!!!!!!

fredaevans
12-02-2001, 09:02 PM
I'm in but how about Dec. 15th, give or take. Allow time to tie, and Chrismas gifts to boot. And where, or is just the patterns?, we send same/
fe

juro
12-02-2001, 09:25 PM
There were others who wanted in in the original thread:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445

Striblue too...

NrthFrk16
12-02-2001, 09:51 PM
Juro, 69'er-
If we have trouble getting enough people involved for a steelie fly swap how about a total fly swap as in steelies, stripers, atlantic, trout, N.A and Britian??

Just a thought and we do not do a complete swap this time around I think it would be great for sometime down the road.

andre
12-03-2001, 10:04 AM
sign me up, Now when must we get these done?

andre

Doublespey
12-03-2001, 10:13 AM
All right, sign me up. When's the date to have these puppies in?? (I'm moving in mid December).

DS

Steelheader69
12-03-2001, 05:33 PM
I figure that way it'll give most of you time to get some flies tied up. What I'll do is when I get home (I'm sneaking in some computer time on my lunch break) I'll total up how many people we have so far. I'll email all of you with how many flies to tie and my home address.

So, as of right now I'll say Mid December. You're more then welcome to tie up some extra or a couple "special" flies for me, since my birthday is December 18th and what a wonderful present it would be to get a couple extra flies :D ;) J/K

As soon as I get a head count (or if Juro or Brian you want to tally up between both messages you're more then welcome to and send me an email with total.

Jerry

Doublespey
12-03-2001, 06:04 PM
Hey ST69,

I count 8 - Rob Allen, Juro, Andre, Ryan, Fred Evans, Philster, Eugene, and myself.

I'd also like to suggest an extension on time - how about January 15 instead of Dec 15 (give us time to recover from Christmas, etc)??

What say the fellow Swap participants??

juro
12-03-2001, 06:08 PM
I like the extension. I promise to tie far better flies in January than before Xmas! :p

andre
12-03-2001, 06:45 PM
triple that extension

NrthFrk16
12-03-2001, 10:56 PM
I quadruple the extension!!

Steelheader69
12-03-2001, 11:26 PM
You counted 8???? You forget about the guy who started this thing??? LOL :D Mmake it 9.

Extend it to Jjan????? How am Ii gonna get my birthday flies that way??? You guys are selfish, sheesh. ROFL. That's fine. How about thiss. Each of you tie up aa dozen flies. Thaat way in case we pick up a few more guys you won't have to tie up anymore. If we don't get anymore then you haave soome extra flies for yourself. Sound good? When Jjan commes arouund I'll post my mailing address and amount of flies to send. So as of right now the deadline will be Jan 15th. Agreed!?

fredaevans
12-04-2001, 04:37 AM
My orig. thought about (several threads up) on the Dec. 15 date was for the 'sign up' portion of the swap. Like the Mid January date for distribution. Gives us time to tie up a batch of goodies and get them into .... whom? Or is the idea we all mail out direct to each participant?
Fred

Doublespey
12-04-2001, 10:01 AM
Mathematician??

Hell, if it went over 10 the shoes were comin off :eek:

juro
12-04-2001, 10:10 AM
Fred -

I will put up an information page to make every detail clear, including the mailing address and instructions, etc.

Looking foward to it!

GBSkunk
12-04-2001, 03:03 PM
Count me in. I like the idea of an extension too.
Dave

Highlander
12-05-2001, 11:34 PM
January sounds like enough time to me to tie a few spey flies. I wanted to do this last time but never got around to it. Some really cool flies were tied by the members of this board, very original with a lot of soul.

Brian

pmflyfisher
12-08-2001, 11:58 AM
If possible count me in. Home computer down last week due to ATT Excite network move to new ATT service. Lots of problems.

Will tie a Michigan winter steelhead reliable. Out here we use a lot of nymph, and egg fly patterns in small sizes. Also, some traditional steelhead wet fly patterns in smaller sizes also work. Not sure what size to tie for the majority of people in this. Appears the west coast steelhead crowd uses larger hook sizes, which I tried in my rookie years here in Midwest, starting in 1979. That was a big mistake. I don't think I have caught a Michigan steelhead with over a size 6 hook. Need to go down to size 10 and 12 in low clear winter water and with a 4 pound test leader most of the time. Six pound is the max I ever use out here. Not good odds on landing these fish I can tell you. But makes a big difference on the number of takes you will get I can assure you.

Otherwise I could tie a west coast pattern.

If to late, understand will catch the spring steelhead tie !!

fredaevans
12-08-2001, 02:55 PM
A suggestion (Hal got me thinking on this line, so it's his fault :>)

I'd suggest we tie patterns that work in our area, including the choice of hook sizes. Suspect half the fun of this exchange is seeing what oddities work where. Many standards work on the Rogue but some (purple colours as an example) get about zilch for results. "My fly" the 'body bag' is as about as simple as it gets, looks good, can be tied on almost any size hook, and best yet the darn thing really works.

Considering my skills as a tier, it's 'go figure' time... or as an old boss liked to say: "even a blind pig can occasionally find an acorn."
fe

striblue
12-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Guys, I am in ..but I want you to know that I have no original patterns since I fish here in the east. The only steelhead fishing I have done is in Pulaski at the salmon river.. and catching one was by accident with Salmon egg imitations... so... I will give it a try.

juro
12-08-2001, 03:20 PM
John -

Let's get together and twist up a few :rolleyes:

I have a lot of pretty rare materials from a past life of tying steelie flies with every spare minute.

pmflyfisher
12-09-2001, 08:57 AM
Sounds good to me but really I could do whatever anyone else
agrees to. Can tie one of my original Michigan steelhead patterns
or do traditional PNW steelhead hairwing, spey, or nymph style. Size is not a problem have lots of hooks to use.

striblue
12-09-2001, 03:11 PM
OK, sounds good Juro.. I start my weekly orgainized flytying every Wednesday Night at First Light Anglers in Mancherster-by-The-Sea. They tie all types of flies... so I will start there and touch base with you soon. Thanks. Just finished 24 examples of various Lefty's decievers for a display case at CAC. Starting on Polar fiber minow and bunker, then Angle hair... to Silversides epoxies and finally to Puglasi's and Dick Brown Bonefish... so... plenty of time to squeeze in steelhead.

Steelheader69
12-09-2001, 06:44 PM
My original idea on this flyswap was original patterns that caatch winter steelhead in your areas. Don't haave to be paciific steelhead flies. It's nice to be able to get ideas on what paterns work and sometimes you just sit there and say "DOH, why didn't I think of that???"

Hey Hal/Pmflyfisher. Thought Ii'd give you the scoop on why the flies are bigger here and why we normaly don't use smaler flies. This is a state where most ofthe rivers are heavily glacial fed. Some are steelhead green all year rouund, an a few get into gin clear conditions during the summer. The rivers I fish will usualy only have a couple fet vibility t best, sometimes down to only a foot of visibility but still have that steelhead green color withouut being totaly stained mocha brown due to rains. Ii'm not a diehard flyfisherman, but have ben very successful when I'm using aa flyrod. Most o flies I tie are on size 8 to 1/0 hooks depending on river I fish, and water conitions during the winter. Uusually we tie them big and flashy. Helps attract them in these stained conditions. Ii've actually watched a stelhead come up and naiil a subsuface fly in limited visiibilty conditionns (Ii'm sure a fish can see alot better in that water then we can). With the conitions of the river botomms (heavily boldered and log strewn) and the pure strenght and stamina of a native winter steelhead alot of the guys I know use at least 15# test up to 25# test on thei leaders. I usually use 15-20# masxima. I cauughta nice 20lb native buck last year on the Hoh. He tatered and tore up my 20# leader. It was knicked beyond belief. In fact, have had plenty steelies snap my 15-20# leader. But when it coms to summerruns, it's a diferent story. I scale down to 10# test, but alot of tims Ii am leary about that. Have caught fish in the upper teens, low 20'ss during the summer too. They do damage either way. But I will normally scale down my flies to a size 6-10. Normaly I tie on extra sstrong hooks. But, I will also "undertie"' my flies. Will tie asmaller profile fly on a size 4 hook. Looks like size 8/10 hok, but on a 2/4 hook. I will tie them up in dark colors in very small profiles. I use maximaa UG, but Ii was raised a maxima guy, and I feel i it ain't broke, don't fix it. Hope this insiight helps.

pmflyfisher
12-09-2001, 09:01 PM
Yes, thanks, I understand plus the rivers are larger out west from
those here in the Midwest - Michigan area. A couple of larger ones like the Muskegon or Big Manistee compare to western rivers. I will have to gear up for out there. By the way maxima UG is the choice of many steelhead fisherman here, and also maxima chameleon. Hard to beat these for leader material. Anything over 8 pound test on our normally clear rivers and you are wasting your time. Will have to get into those Washington
wild steelhead soon. Not sure if my heaviest rod could handle them. Nine and a half foot, 9 weight with fighting butt. Marryat MR-9 reel wide arbor. Really a salt water fly reel with lots of capacity but no multiplier retrieve. Would need that out west for sure.

Usually use my nine foot 8 weight here for steelhead but many use 7 weights of nine foot or more.

Most fish average 8-10 pounds but the rivers are small and filled with log jams. So they have the upper hand on 6-8 pound test leaders for sure.

Since this is a West Coast Steelhead board might as well tie a Midwest pattern in a larger size for the west coast anglers.

Thanks for the information. I can see I have to think larger in everything when I fish out there for steelhead.