Hello world! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hello world!

Wannafly91
12-25-2013, 10:34 PM
My name is Sean and I am an avid hunter thanks to my grandfather. He was also a fly fishing enthusiast who loved the great outdoors. One of his final gifts to me after he passed was two fly fishing rods in his possession.

I know nothing of fly fishing and have always used a spin rod when we fished together. So, in my quest to become a fly fisherman I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer to help me get started.

First and foremost, the two rods I received are made by Lamiglas. The one I can remember at the moment is a Lamiglas im905. It is graphite and has a 5 line wt.. Now, my question is, how is this rod for beginners, what I can effectively fish with this in the eastern Alabama area and what would be a good reel to purchase for it?

Secondly, what is the monetary value of the rod in question?

Third, what else should I invest in as a beginner?

Thank all of you in advance and I hope to grow and learn a great deal by surfing these forums!

Sean

juro
12-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I used to have an IM graphite lami rod back in the 90's but it was an 8wt for steelhead. The rod is very popular in gear models for non-fly use in the pacific northwest. I would say it's worth about 100 if in very good condition. Fresh water use is much less demanding than salt, so you can use about any reel that balances the rod. What would you be fishing for in Alabama?