Fly Fishing Forum banner

Flies for Mahi Mahi?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BigDave 
#1 ·
Heading to Eleuthera and have gotten to know a guy with a charter boat who always says he can get me into Mahi Mahi. I might just do it this next trip in 9 days.

Can anyone advise on the types of flies to use? Also, I have a couple of 8 weights that I always bring but I also have a 10 weight. Is that overkill? Or would I have a chance to hook up small tuna as well?

Thanks,

Marty

#2 ·
Anything bright and flashy will do, mushies, clousers, deceivers, etc. If If you are targetting adult-size Mahi rather than chickens, a 10wt is appropriate along with strong hooks and heavy tippet. You will want heavy stuff if you tie into a bull...they will test your gear.

#4 ·
Mahi have some teeth. They are small but will cut a light tippet. In my experience they are aggressive fish and not at all leader shy. 20# floro will do for the chickens but you will wish you had 25# or 30# floro if you hook a bull. I'm sure the trollers use much heavier shock tippets. Better safe than sorry...the big ones are a whole different animal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.