Fly Fishing Forum banner

exuma???

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 · (Edited)
hi folks

planning trip and have not heard if exuma guides are still not diy friendly.

any help here would be great.

also, it appears "vacation villages" is a good choice?

thanks for any help for diy on exuma

Michael Saracione (distant angler)

PM fine by me........

#3 ·
Having never fished Exuma I can't help you with that. But having done many DIY trips to Andros, Long Island and Acklins I can tell you that I never encountered any hostility on any of them.

Unless your heart is really set on Exuma I would take a look into Acklins. I think your opportunities to access a decent number of flats by car and find fish on your own are far superior to the other islands I've been to.

Vince at Cattaraugus outfitters (forum sponsor) offers a couple of DIY options you can also look at VRBO.com/Acklins .

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Charlie

#4 ·
Thanks Charlie!
I have not fished Exuma either but Acklins has many easily accessible areas, plus some more difficult to reach, that offer all types of habitat for bonefish. Some permit around too if you know where to look. Plus plenty of sharks and cudas for those who enjoy them.

The best part is that there are not many people on the island, so you have that end of the world feeling, without being at the end of the world. You might go all day fishing without seeing another soul, and return to a comfortable lodge with delicious food.

Ivels has great, modern lodging in a central location, wi if, plenty of pure fresh water and friendly folks always willing to lend a hand.

No issues with DIY anglers here.

#5 ·
I wouldn't choose Exuma. The guides there are total jerks. If you're getting barbeque at Speedy's in flats shirt you'll get accosted by them, never mind if you're in the water. About the only thing you can do is go to airport flat after 5-6pm when they are leaving to run their fatcats back to the Four Seasons.

Acklins is the place for DIY, from the north end to the south end and everything in between. Take a couple of days on Crooked as well. Eleuthera was 'ok' but no Acklins.

#6 ·
Exuma Bonefishing

i fished exuma last year with 2 guides and 6 days of DIY, the guides were very gracious and the island is SO massive that you can find flats in almost any area without getting in their way.

i have no idea what the other poster was talking about

you really need a satellite map and a jeep, follow the old dirt roads to the various flats. the entire west side of the island is loaded with them from the south to mid island.

the north end also has many accessible flats with no signs of any other anglers at any time

if you go, you may want to bring an inflatable tube, (its hard to find a kayak for rent) inflate, get across to the flats and tie it off ..

if you are going the week of Apr 9th to 20th i will be glad to show you some spots that are barely fished

#7 ·
Said 'gracious' guides are on record as having tried to make it illegal to fish DIY on Exuma, we've had extensive discussions on that even here on this forum (do a search).

If you had no such troubles last year, maybe they've gotten over their animosity toward unguided anglers. Maybe not, but I won't take any chances wasting my DIY money to go there again unless perhaps I am sailing the Exuma archipelago someday, far away from the pompous aggressors on Great Exuma.

I'll spend my money on Acklins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.