Anyone familiar w/ Fishermens Feathers in the UK? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Anyone familiar w/ Fishermens Feathers in the UK?

Tod D
11-20-2001, 08:42 AM
Came across an add by a UK company, Fishermens Feathers, for legal Jungle Cock capes in the Jan/Feb "Fly Rod & Reel". Very good prices on A-B-C grade capes.

Before plunking down $ on a grade B cape, wanted to see if anyone else was familiar w/ them. Apparently, they were at the Int'l Flytying show this past weekend in Somerset, NJ. Anyone attend? Did you happen to see them there?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all input.

FYI - here's their website:
www.fishermensfeathers.com

Adrian
11-20-2001, 09:07 AM
Tod

It's been a few years since I purchased anything from these guys but there was never any doubt about the quality of their products. In fact the price on those Jungle Cock capes has come down quite a bit since they first started rearing them in captivity.

Maybe try a half cape to start with?

Hope this helps.

Adrian

John Desjardins
11-20-2001, 09:16 AM
Tod, I saw that ad and was wondering the very same thing. Are you interested in splitting a cape to see how they look?

Tod D
11-20-2001, 12:21 PM
Adrian & John - Thanks!

John - I'd definitely be interested in splitting a cape. I was thinking of a grade B cape ($50 according to the ad in "FR&R"). It's one of my "wife's" Christmas presents for me, so I get to order it.

Are you in CT? I'm in southeastern MA, but am down to CT usually monthly as my wife's family is in the south central part of the state. Let me know either here or through an email and maybe we can set this up.

Tod

juro
11-20-2001, 02:48 PM
If you share a cape ("split" is not a good word to use in this context!) you might consider dividing it so there are equal portions from either side of the cape for both of you. I guess it only matters if you are using them to match on either side of a fly, like eyes or the underwing of a Durham Ranger, etc.

Probably the best approach is to cut the skin of the cape into four horizontal sections so that each gets a upper half slice (long stem/large) and a slice from near the base (small).

I would ask for a cape with a very low percentage of split feathers; hopefully that's what they mean by "super quality". It does appear to be a really good source and the prices are awesome.

Tod D
11-20-2001, 04:41 PM
Kind of like a faux paus I made in England when I asked a female work colleague for a "ride" home...:rolleyes:

Thanks for advice Juro. I was going to post my follow up question: "how does one split...er, I divide up a cape to share?..."

John Desjardins
11-20-2001, 08:44 PM
Tod for dividing I had thought of using my mothers method of preventing fights beween my sisters and I. One cuts and the other chooses. Juro raises good points on the size of feathers that we should consider if we do split a cape. Did you get my e-mail. After the day I had today I'm not sure it went through.

fredaevans
11-20-2001, 09:35 PM
My God!!!! Even my Russian Grandmother from Minsk did this. Is there no place to hide?
fe