: meteors!!!

tomd
11-17-2001, 10:26 AM
as many as 70 a minute sunday at 5am from the east!!!!! wahoo!!! Tom D
http://news.excite.com/news/ap/011114/14/meteor-magic-tips

RayStachelek
11-17-2001, 10:42 AM
tomd -

Is that the aero equivalent of having firefly present in the water? ;)

striblue
11-17-2001, 02:15 PM
Tom.. where have you been? missed you at the Burlington Fly tyers.

Lefty
11-17-2001, 03:14 PM
I'm heading up to my bro inlaw in Southern N.H. to watch them. They are said to be the most intense we'll see for another 100 years. IT will be like getting up to go fishing!

Lefty

doogue
11-17-2001, 04:36 PM
I will be up and watching too.

Sometimes it pays to live in the sticks of NH. I should be able to enjoy some good views from a hill near my house. It should be worth it! Lets hope that the clouds do not block our views. I only wish that it was early September so that I could enjoy the views from the beach in Chatham. Fighting with a large bass beneath a shower of meteors - how sweet would that be? Like a dream...

doogue
11-18-2001, 05:50 AM
Just returned from the celestial light show. Impressive. While impressed, I must say that the Perseid showers of 1995 were more intense. I saw 100 meteors per minute during those showers. This morning I was probably at 20 per minute or so.

I hope you all got out there to see the show.

-Mike

juro
11-18-2001, 06:04 AM
Doogue -

All I could think of was "wish I was on the coast"! What I could see through the trees in my backyard was pretty impressive, but like you said I've seen much more intense meteor showers. The most intense and the first meteor shower I saw was at Lake Crescent WA deep into a moonless December night. I'll never forget that one.

tomd
11-18-2001, 06:14 AM
oh well, this was no where as spectacular as predicted... 70 per minute, more like 70 per hour. still a cool show Tom D

tomd
11-18-2001, 06:29 AM
oh yeah, John... been busy with the kids and a big honey-do list. I'm going to try to get up there soon. Tom D

jborkowski
11-18-2001, 06:31 AM
I too recall the 1995 showers as better. Although I'm not sure if it was b/c I saw more meteors or it was the girl who happened to be "sharing" the blanket with me in that open grassy meadow. 8)

Anyway, went to one of my favorite fishing spots just south of Boston to watch this morning. All I could think was, "GOD look at that little rip...wonder if there is anything in there."

MarkDoogue
11-18-2001, 09:15 AM
Conveniently, my wife kicked me out of bed around 4:15 this morning for snoring.

I'm sick as a dog right now and the congestion was making me sound like a sputtering, wheezing steam engine all night long. Since sleep was anything but satisfying I dragged myself out back and watched the fireworks. I witnessed about 10-15 meteors and decided it was just to darn cold, and I was too darn sick to spend an hour outside in the dark.

This morning Sandy says to me, "Why didn't you wake me up for the show?" I did, and you banished me to another bedroom for my troubles!!;)

NrthFrk16
11-19-2001, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by juro
The most intense and the first meteor shower I saw was at Lake Crescent WA deep into a moonless December night. I'll never forget that one.

What an incredible site that must have been!! :eek: Lake Crescent is one of the most beautiful places in the World and I treause the trip around the lake every drive out to Forks.

I drove up to the Stilly Saturday night. Parked at C-Post, walked out onto the bridge and stood up at stared and stared and stared. It was too early though (10 pm) and only saw a couple, it was still worth it though! :)

GregD
11-22-2001, 02:19 AM
Brandon and I watched from 3:30-6:30 with a quick warm up break. Josh only lasted half an hour, not bad for 2.5 years old. He wasn't too happy to be dragged out of his nice warm bed and stuffed into a snow suit, then plopped onto a chase lounge then wrapped with a sleeping bag. I kept telling him to watch for the meteors. He sat there crying for a couple minutes till he saw the meteors. Then he became very quite then started yelling, Wow Dad look at that Meteor! did you see that one! Thought we were going to wake up the nieghbors at one point with all of us going OHHH and Look at that one! We easily saw well over a hundred. The brightest one at around 4:15est left a smoke trail that lingered for 30 seconds. A few so bright they cast shadows. Best display I have ever seen for sure. I didn't shoot any pictures unfortunately, But here's a URL to some great shots for your enjoyment.

http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/gallery_18nov01.html

Greg.